Playing a musical instrument in a campground - okay or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Maxwell said:
Are you going to play at QZ?

Yes, most likely, Bob -- in my rig with my Silent Brass mute so no one will have to listen to the sounds other than myself. Not quite ready for prime time or QZ.  :)  But thanks for asking . . .

Good music is a gift. However, there is a time and place when it is appropriate and when it is not. I feel that nothing that I do should infringe on the peace and quiet, or space, of my neighbors. Including sounds, or letting a dog run loose, or generator noise and exhaust, etc. I would hope others would extend the same courtesy and respect to me and my family. In other words, I don't want to hear it, but good for you for wanting to do it and finding a place where you can.

If you get a banjo and other Bluegrass instruments together I will be there listening.  :)  We were in Stonewall Jackson resort campground and after attending a family reunion we came back to the RV wery tired. Next to our RV i noticed several tents and a whole slew of kids. The mother cme over and politely asked if the kids could play their music. My mind was thinking boom boom but I politely said they could play. Well we perked up and thoughly enjoyed a real Bluegrass Gospel event with campers coming from all over to enjoy the music. All the kids played instruments from the 6 yr old to the 21 yr old.

Good music is great!

I've asked that taps be played at my death. This the only sure way to know I have gone, for there will be a tear in my eye if I have not. :'(

gwcowgill said:
All the kids played instruments from the 6 yr old to the 21 yr old.

And boy that really ticks me off. Every time I hear kids playing they can all play better than me. :(

The OP said he wanted to LEARN to play the flute.  If he already played it at a decent level of expertise, then it might be alright in his trailer at a low level.  BUT, having suffered as a kid listening to my next door neighbor practice the piano every morning for a half hour, I don't think your campground neighbors will appreciate it all that much until you reach a level of expertise that it might be less painful and more listenable.  My suggestion is that you find a place outside of a campground (for example, some sparsely populated BLM land) and camp there so you can practice to your heart's content.  You even could drive off somewhere in your car to a somewhat remote location and play your flute there.  All you'll be bothering there is the wild critters.  On second thought, you might want to keep the windows closed if you do that.  You don't want to chase them away! ;)  We've enjoyed attending a Blue Grass event among the pine trees and it was delightful at night but these were people who already knew how to play.  I guess what I'm saying is there's a level of expertise where it might be okay and another level where it isn't okay.  Maybe you'll know the crossover point when you no longer cringe at your own mistakes.  ::)

ArdraF

Come to Quartzsite and practice while there are 50 generators running. You won't bother anyone.

My daughter plays the flute.. and rather well I might add.

I would have no problem with a flutist in the campground.

Or a guitar

Bagpipes... Well as it happens I like a good bag piper.. But I suspect that would not go over well in most CG's.

A lot depends on the instrument, when and how well it's played.

Of course.. No matter what you do there will always be a SCROOGE about (Bah Humbug) who hates the fact that you can do somethign (play the instrument) he can't.  IN fact.. I happen to be a bit unhappy about that myself.. However I don't blame YOU for my failing to take up an instrument when I was younger.  But I do get even...... I SING!

If you're good and it's not rap... GO FOR IT!

We've enjoyed guitars on occasion and sorta of wished what we heard was a bit louder. 

love, Love, LOVE bagpipes!  But again, you'd have to be pretty good and wear a kilt.  :)

catblaster said:
I've asked that taps be played at my death. This the only sure way to know I have gone, for there will be a tear in my eye if I have not. :'(

If you are a veteran, I understand that legislation was passed around 2000 that when a U.S. veteran dies, the government will supply a flag, a uniformed flag presenter, and bugler to play taps at the gravesite ceremony.

Unfortunately, there are more veterans passing (1/2 million per year over the next 7 years, I read) than there are qualified buglers in the military. So a fake digital bugle was designed that plays a tinny sounding taps as the fake bugler holds the horn to his lips.

To fill the need, Tom Day, organized BUGLES ACROSS AMERICA. Qualified bugler volunteers (able to play taps with "ease and style" on a no valve or 1,2,3 valve bugle, trumpet, coronet, or fluglehorn) from his organization are now sent in place of those holding a digital horn.

As soon as I feel that I meet the "ease and style" requirement again will probably volunteer.

KarenS144 said:
love, Love, LOVE bagpipes!  But again, you'd have to be pretty good and wear a kilt.  :)

Here you go.

Attachments

• Jim Dick the Piper.jpg
    Jim Dick the Piper.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 62
That well-known RVing bagpiper has been known to serenade campers in the desert.

Attachments

• Bagpipes.jpg
    Bagpipes.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
Tom said:
That well-known RVing bagpiper has been known to serenade campers in the desert.

It's just not the same without the kilt.

[quote author=Ned]It's just not the same without the kilt.[/quote]

Aye, but there was no availability of fabric in the desert; Chris had to wait until we got to Moab to make the kilt.

This is something very near and dear to me...I play many instruments and am having trouble parting with them as we begin our journey.  I have a Yamaha full size piano, sousaphone, trombone, baritone, trumpet and cornet, Bb and Eb clarinets, flute and a snare. I feel like I have to choose between my favorite child :eek:

But I had the same question as to whether or not taking anything would be worth it for fear of possibly offending some, but I can't tell you how many times I wished I had "a horn" with me so that I could join in some quick jam session. 

My thought is that doing at the right time and keeping sessions short and obviously feeling out the neighbors a bit could mean that I can still enjoy playing a little something now and again. 

Jnlo2000,

Obviously you've been playing various instruments for a while.  I don't think you should leave all of them behind!  Choose a couple of the ones you like best because there are appropriate times and places to play them.  For example, if you join the Family Motor Coach Assn. they have the Frustrated Maestros who play at various rallies.  A number of people carry keyboards or horns so you won't be alone.  Also we've attended Blue Grass festivals where people jam after the daily activities have ended.  I'm sure there are other types of music festivals where you can find like minded people.

ArdraF

jnlo2000 said:
This is something very near and dear to me...I play many instruments and am having trouble parting with them as we begin our journey.  I have a Yamaha full size piano, sousaphone, trombone, baritone, trumpet and cornet, Bb and Eb clarinets, flute and a snare. I feel like I have to choose between my favorite child :eek:
I too play a lot of instruments and live in a motorhome full time. My solution is that I have a 76 key synthesizer with me. It can play just about anything. I also have two guitars and Sony Playstation with many Rock Band tunes.

I can not speak for anyone else, but if you want to play a musical insturment near me my reaction will depend on many things.

1: Are you any good at it?

2: Drumbs, Bagpipes, Guitar, Acordian, Piano (elctronic of course) Violen, Flute, Whatever.

3: Style of music (Actually that's about 30 on a list of 3, meaning "so long as it's music it's good)

Now.. I might ask to sing along.

Back
Top Bottom