Playing a musical instrument in a campground - okay or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy said:
At the FMCA rally in Farmington NM, every night someone plays taps at 10 pm. I always turn off the TV when I hear it playing and listen. I love hearing it....wonder if it's a carryover from my Army days?

Wendy

An AWESOME way to note the beginning of "quiet time". I wouldn't mind that a bit.

jnlo2000 said:
I have a Yamaha full size piano, sousaphone, trombone, baritone, trumpet and cornet, Bb and Eb clarinets, flute and a snare.

My high school and college band directors played every instrument well to various degrees - but unfortunately for me, his skills on the trumpet/coronet were not to level a student needed to advance to higher levels other than to go off on their own as I did.

However, tho he could play brass as well as woodwinds, his favorite and the one he played best was the violin. So I would imagine most that play a wide variety have a favorite. If that is true you might want to begin by taking your favorites vs. all of them.

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread I use a Yamaha Silent Brass mute system so can practice anywhere/anytime with my own ears the only ones to hear the sounds. You can even buy a huge one for a tuba!

But most of the time I find that a cup or straight mute is sufficient for most practice sessions inside my rig up until 10pm or so. Usually, up until that time there is enough peripheral sounds that a muted horn cannot be heard anyway.

An RV'ing couple in our ukulele group bring out the ukes around a campfire and start playing. They report that the usual reaction is that "kids come out of the woodwork". The kids come to listen or to play along. Some ask if they can bring other instruments &/or bring one of their parents who might play a different instrument.

Separately, this couple contact activities directors/rangers at campgrounds regarding organized events.

Bob, I will definately look into the mute system.  I have standard mutes for the trumpet/cornets which are likely to come with me as well as at least one or two woodwinds.  The keyboard most definately will come as well.  I never learned strings although everyone on my Dad's side plays (violin/viola in particular) very well even semi-professional at some point in their lives.  My dad starting me on a xylaphone when I was 2-3 yrs old and it just went from there.  Most of my elementary years I played piano and cornet.  Switched to Baritone/Tuba in high school because of demand.  Although girls playing Tuba was not exactly popular at the time.  ;D Learned the rest along the way, did the competition route in high school, considered drum corp and joined the Navy instead.  Our son likes to sing and on more than one occasion with his buddies sat around a campfire singing their hearts out.  Very heartwarming to see a bunch of 17 year old boys sitting around singing. 

I suspect that I will learn appropriate times/places to play and hope to hook up with others on the road as well.  Impromptu jam sessions are always fun!

Doughton Park (mile marker 240) on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  June 4th & 5th 2008.  This group meets frequently over the summer as they can pull people together at this park.  Not any real set week ends.  We just were lucky enough to be there at the same time they were.  It really was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjEpebfYa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDD1couN1vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQE8GwlssGM

gdoug said:
A couple of times we have been to state parks and two or three people were a few sites down the way playing acoustic guitars and banjos, under the awning.  Bluegrass, country, classical.  Some even sang a tune or two.  Quite well thank goodness. ;D  ...

A friend's dad is in a barbershop quartet. A few years back when we were all camping at Green Lakes State Park here in NY, his buddies stopped by and they decided to have a little practice. What started as a "little practice" gathered quite the crowd and turned into a full-blown concert - they even took requests!

In general if we are overheard making music either a crowd begins to gather or we are encouraged to play at some more central location.

But then again we're experienced street performers and are regularly hired to do this sort of thing for community festivals, private parties, and the occasional bar gig.

Jammer said:
But then again we're experienced street performers and are regularly hired to do this sort of thing for community festivals, private parties, and the occasional bar gig.

My understanding of the issue is the concern for practicing vs. performing. Listening to someone playing scales and such, or working on a piece segment can be very distracting. Once in a park in Sacramento a very accomplished concert trombonist in the site next to mine from Canada practiced several hours a day - and if he had stayed one more day I probably would have knocked on his door.  The scales were bad enough, but the double and triple tonguing from a segment of The Carnival of Venice that he was having trouble with did me in . . .  :)

DW and I have camped over many years. I am a folk guitar player. We have gotten better over the years, doing mostly folk songs. Many evenings of playing, times of people coming to listen. Never any complaints. I heard a beginning flute player, playing at Villa Nueva NM State Park. The canyon echos were amazing. Until people start stopping by, or giving you positive comments, just play softly. Play for yourself. If you like it others will too.

I believe that any one who plays to perform in a unobtrusive manner is welcome, I would hate to hear some one practicing scales and repetitive passages on any brass instrument or percussion instrument in a site near me. I love a good folk, country or bluegrass player playing non-amplified instruments and will gather with the crowd for the entertainment value.

Unobtrusive instruments make for an enjoyable evening around the campfire.

We were at Sun & Fun RV park in Sarasota, Fl for a couple of weeks in February. Our neighbor was from Pensylvania and he pulled out a nice Piano Accordion on a Sunday afternoon, and played nice soft music; he was soon joined by another player from Florida; they were very good; I went and sat with them and enjoyed every note they played ; they took a few requests. His wife did sing well too. Nobody around seemed offended.

Bob Buchanan said:
If you are a veteran, I understand that legislation was passed around 2000 that when a U.S. veteran dies, the government will supply a flag, a uniformed flag presenter, and bugler to play taps at the gravesite ceremony.

Unfortunately, there are more veterans passing (1/2 million per year over the next 7 years, I read) than there are qualified buglers in the military. So a fake digital bugle was designed that plays a tinny sounding taps as the fake bugler holds the horn to his lips.

To fill the need, Tom Day, organized BUGLES ACROSS AMERICA. Qualified bugler volunteers (able to play taps with "ease and style" on a no valve or 1,2,3 valve bugle, trumpet, coronet, or fluglehorn) from his organization are now sent in place of those holding a digital horn.

As soon as I feel that I meet the "ease and style" requirement again will probably volunteer.

I hope to hear you play some day Bob.
During my time at Great Lakes Training Center my quad sang the Lord's Prayer each night at lights out..it was amazing how quiet the other quads got in preparation to that event. It still brings a lump in my throat to hear that song as does Taps and the Navy Hymn, Eternal Father, usually followed by a tear or two.
Whither or not they're played at my burial...I hope they are playing in my mind as I pass on to see my maker..

Icemaker said:
I hope to hear you play some day Bob.
During my time at Great Lakes Training Center my quad sang the Lord's Prayer each night at lights out..it was amazing how quiet the other quads got in preparation to that event. It still brings a lump in my throat to hear that song as does Taps and the Navy Hymn, Eternal Father, usually followed by a tear or two.
Whither or not they're played at my burial...I hope they are playing in my mind as I pass on to see my maker..

Thank you for your comments - taps always gives me a lump in the throat as well. If I am playing it, I try to suppress that so as not to block the air passage needed. That's tough at times due to the occassion and otherwise total silence.

Another later written melody being used on such solomn occassions is Il Silenzio written by an Italian jazz trumpeter, Nini Rosso. He wrote it as an adaptation of taps. HERE is an amazing young lady, Melissa Venema, playing it at age 14. She is 16 or so now and plays concerts around the world.

And HERE it is as played by the author. I couldn't help but note that Melissa ends on a high C above the staff whereas Nini plays that last note an octave lower. Notice that she takes a deep breathe before hitting it.

Perhaps you will hear me one day, and I hope it not as an assignment with Bugles Across America.  :)

Bob, I also hope that day comes...when I get the pleasure to hear you play...thanks for the music tour..

As long as they are good at it, I'd have no problem with the playing! :)

I do the majority of my camping at festivals where one can play anytime.  In regular campgrounds, the playing usually has to stop at 10pm (although screaming kids can run around until 1am).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom