Replacing the Front Windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Hello All, I have a question about replacing our front windshield.  When we arrived in Oregon to pick up our coach we found that our front windshield had a very small star in it.  Our guess is this happened when it was transported from So. Cal...(a whole another story!!)  Anyway, we were told by our salesmen (and we know they never lie) that to replace the windshield was a major project dealing with seals and that we should take it back to the factory and have it done there...just to be on the safe side.  They put it in writing in our contract that they will pay for a new windshield.  Today, I called Winnie and spoke with Rod and he told me that replacing a windshield is just like replacing one on a car, no big deal.  He also said that when they're busy they sub it out to glass guys, so I might as well have it done here in CA and save me a ton on diesel.  I'm confused now and decided to ask you gals and guys for your opinion's.  I know some of you must have had to have your windshields replaced (after Alaska?) and wanted to know if you just had a glass person do it or what?  Thanks so much in advance for your advise.  Mikie

You can get a star fixed by calling a mobile glass repair shop. Last time I had that done it was about $40. Last time I had a windshield replaced it was $200 (a van) and it was not installed properly so it leaked.

Seilerbird,  They did the "star" repair at the dealership.  We just think we'd like to get our own "stars" in our new MH!  It won't cost us a dime to get it replaced, but the "leak" issue is what we're afraid of.  My DH is afraid that if we wait too long, the dealership will either renege or be out of business and so he'd like to get it done.  I say, wait until after we go somewhere like Alaska and get some major chips and replace it then...It's just a point of discussion we have regularly.  Thanks, Mikie

We had one "POP" out of the seal last year.  I contacted a couple of dealers and the all said they just use a glass shop to take care of them.  Our local glass shop replaces the seal and fixed us right up.

We were at Beaudry RV Resort in Tucson, AZ three of four years ago (now Lazydays owns the place) and watched a mobile glass shop replace a windshield on a coach at their site!  It's about a full day work and requires a couple of guys and ladders and/or scaffolding.

Personally I wouldn't drive from California to Iowa just for a glass replacement unless you can make that fit in with some other plans.  If you can find an excuse to get to Iowa, that would be my first choice.

Call two or three glass shops and ask them what their experiences are with coach glass replacement.  If you have a one-piece windshield, that would be one heavy chunk of glass and maybe would make a difference in getting it done on-site or having to take it to a facility with the proper equipment.

As far as how technically difficult it is, I believe it is simply the typical engineering as most cars have- the glass is stuck to a metal frame with some magic goo on the frame.  The primary difference is most likely the size and weight of the glass vis-a-vis car and coach.

Give RV Glass Solutions a call.  They are out of Eugene.  They will provide you some interesting facts regarding factory installations, seals, movement and contact with the dash.  Especially in Winnebago products.

4ducksrus said:
Seilerbird,  They did the "star" repair at the dealership.  We just think we'd like to get our own "stars" in our new MH!  It won't cost us a dime to get it replaced, but the "leak" issue is what we're afraid of.  My DH is afraid that if we wait too long, the dealership will either renege or be out of business and so he'd like to get it done.  I say, wait until after we go somewhere like Alaska and get some major chips and replace it then...It's just a point of discussion we have regularly.  Thanks, Mikie
So you are saying you are going to replace the windshield even though it doesn't really need to be replaced? When I got my windshield replaced it took a few months before it started to leak and I was a few thousand miles away from the dealership was located. When we had the star fixed there never was an issue. Now I understand that my two windshields are not a good representative sample of all windshields replaced, but I would never get a windshield replaced that did not need it.

I just had the driver side replaced, here at Lazy Days Tucson, sent it to the glass shop.  I would probably start with fixing a star, but not too concerned they will get the seal wrong.  I had mine done a couple years ago in FL, both sides, then when driving across WY, a car threw up a stone and gave me a new star.  By the time we got to Yellowstone it was a crack.  It was high up and I lived with it till just last week.  Out of sightline and ot leaking. 

As to doing at the factory?  Are they kidding?  Just get it done by a shop at your leisure.

You could have the star repaired by almost any glass shop. The issue is the location of the star. It isn't always recommended to use this procedure if the star is in the area covered by the wipers. The issue changes if there is a crack running out from the star. If it is as long as a dollar bill or longer then the windshield should be replaced. Different RV brands install their windows differently. I have a friend with a Monaco and it has a rubber gasket that holds the window in. These can be problematic about staying sealed. Winnebago on the other hand, installs windshields using the same procedure as auto makers. They had a urethane bead that is laid on a steel frame and the window is set into it. The window is basically glues into the frame and seals well. Any automotive glass shop can replace this window because they are used to doing this type of install. The only real issue is if they have experience with large motorhome windshields. I wouldn't hesitate to search around (maybe get a recommendation from an insurance company) and use an automotive glass shop to replace a motorhome windshield. They usually have a guarantee about installation and leaks also.

I had driver windshield replaced on 2003 Adventurer.  Glass company came to my home and replaced on site.  I just paid the deductible.  Unfortunately they did not replace correctly.  Had bad leaks during a bad rainstorm in So Cal.  Did not look at my rig for two weeks.  Water leaked throughout the interior from the windshield.  Had to have all flooring replaced.as well as both windshields).  Insurance Company did not step up and take care of this until I elevated the claim.  Actually had to have both windshields removed (at my potential cost) to
prove that the glass company that replaced the driver windshield 18 months earlier did not coat the metal framing with epoxy on the Adventurer (this is a serious problem when not done properly).  Eventually my insurance (Good Sam/GMAC) agreed to take care of it as their representative agreed that the glass was not replaced properly.  GMAC dropped me shortly after the claim was settled.  Fortunately State Farm insured the rig for $500.00 per 12 months (GMAC had raised my rates to over $600.00 per 6 month period).  Thank you GMAX!

I had both windshields replaced by a Winnebago dealer after leaks due to rust ...they sublet the job to a local glass shop in OK City.  I would NOT have the glass replaced just because of a gravel ding/star.  I have had many, many repaired on my coach over the years.  You WILL get more.  Unless it is where it causes a safety problem, I would not go through the hassle of having the glass totally replaced.

Thanks for all who responded.  I agree with most of you as to just living with the "fixed" star.  My DH on the other hand says it "bugs" him.  I think this will be something to discuss tonight over dinner..... ;D  Mikie

A factory job is goodness, but any competent glass shop should be able to handle it. Make sure they've done large Class A Rvs before, though.  If you just say "RV", they may be thinking of Class C's, which are basically just van or pick-up windshields.

I had one done by a mobile RV glass service and they did a excellent job. Had another windshield done at the factory on my American Tradition. Also had a "popped" windshield re-set by a local glass shop here in Ocala. For that one I got a recommendation from local Rv dealers, whom I called and asked where they sent their glass work.

RV Glass Solutions gets my vote 888 777 6603 they have connections all over the country, whever you are they can direct you to a shop that knows what they are doing

How old is the motor home? One of the pluses of having the glass replaced is that you would be able to see whether or not the frame has rusted and if it has a chance to fix the rust.

We had one half of our windshield replaced at Forrest City last year during the GNR
We were on our way to Forrest City when we got the rock that broke it.  They are really equipped to do the replacement.
I now have a small chip in the other side and will opt for an on site repair at my house. Just haven't called yet.

John Hilley said:
How old is the motor home? One of the pluses of having the glass replaced is that you would be able to see whether or not the frame has rusted and if it has a chance to fix the rust.

Our MH is new 2011.  We've barely had it a year.  Like I said in my first post, the star/chip was in the glass when we went to pick it up at the dealership.  So, since we were buying a brand new MH we wanted it replaced.  They had it "fixed" and it seems to be holding but they did write on our contract that says we could get a new glass replacement at cost to them.  We were just thinking that since our year is about up and all of this warranty talk that maybe we should get it done.  But, I think the local consensus is to let it stay as is.  It's way up on the top...in the shaded area.  You really have to look to see it and ...if for some reason down the road they don't honor the contract, we have glass coverage on our insurance!  Thanks again for all of the good suggestions and places to contact.  Mikie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom