EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: NEW FORUM FLAGS  (Read 38497 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: NEW FORUM FLAGS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
I saw that previously but took it as an example of what the logo looks like and not necessarily the best available image file for making things like flags or t-shirts.  It appears that displaying/printing full size on that file yields roughly a 6x6.5 inch image. Too small for a flag, in my opinion.  And it already has some jaggies, so I don't think it is practical to blow it up further, at least not without some additional artwork.

I have no idea if the flag companies do any image clean-up on this sort of thing when they make the silkscreen/template for the production run.   Probably available at a price, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

fredethomas

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 08:53:33 AM »
I do not have one of the current flags at the house here to check the size of the logo.  It was made from one of the current decals.  That was given to the flag company at the time.

Will try to remember to call the two companies that have not answered - on Monday.
FRED E. THOMAS

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 09:24:46 AM »
Fred,

the flag I have doesn't have the logo on it. Were there maybe two versions of the flag?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 10:02:31 AM »
the flag I have doesn't have the logo on it. Were there maybe two versions of the flag?

Not that I am aware of.  The old flag has its own layout and does not use the old forum logo per se.  The same style would make a decent new flag too, merely by substituting  "WWW.RVForum.Net" for "CompuServe" on the central blue field. The flag company would probably do that for a fee.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Al Wax

• ---
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »
Flags ? Yes sounds like a plan, put me down for one.

Thanks Fred

Al Wax
Electronically Yours,
Alan Wax
Submitted on 100% recycled electrons

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »
Hi All,

Don't know if I'm treading on any traditions here, but as long as we're getting new flags, how about Framly members submitting NEW designs for it, and then have a vote to select the one most popular?

Aside from that, I think the "WWW" in the URL is pretty much universally understood, and only serves to make the name more unreadable - more letters equals smaller letters.

Comments?
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 11:32:22 AM »
Karl,
I think any volunteer designs would be receive due consideration. We've been using the one we have primarily because we have it and nobody has offered any alternative.  We don't seem to have any graphics dsigners willing to invest some time and effort.  On the other hand, a nice simple design is goodness and what we have is certainly adequate, if not exciting.

As for eliminating the "www", I thnk there is some merit to that if we need space.  However,  if we can increase the size of the logo to something that is in proportion to the flag dimensions, space and letter size is probably not a problem.  I don't know if anybody is actually working on doing that, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 11:43:23 AM »
I don't know if anybody is actually working on doing that, though.

Already discussed in the back room. It's waiting for me to get home and get into my archives to find the "original" image(s). Our return has been delayed a few additional days, but I figured it could wait until we get there  ???
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 11:49:38 AM by Tom »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »
but I figured it could wait until we get there

I think we will survive, Tom.  ;)
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
It's waiting for me to get home and get into my archives to find the "original" image(s).

Tom,

You mean you don't have complete access to your home computers while on the road? We need to update your virtual network!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 12:41:56 PM »
Tom:

Have you investigated the website that I sent you in order to blow up the file size.   Get that done and I can manipulate the image from there to fit what you want.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
Yes I did Ron, but they don't actually offer a free download. What they offer is to enlarge an image for you. I'm not sure if it's a 1-shot deal, so I figured I'd wait until I've made sure I have the highest resolution image(s) before submittng.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:21:44 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 12:53:02 PM »
Tom,

You mean you don't have complete access to your home computers while on the road? We need to update your virtual network!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

LOL Don. Whether we're on the road, on the water, or in the air, my "home" computers are with me at all times in addition to my external hard drive(s), so I have 24/7/365 access  ;D  I'm pretty sure I have 99.xxx% of our forum stuff and archives going back to whenever with me but, since I recently lost an external HD, I'm waiting until we get home to see if I have some additional stuff on CDs.

I actually have a bunch of the arvchive CDs with me too, but there are some very old ones that I consciously left at home, thinking I wouldn't need them  :(

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
I will take one flag.  Where do I send the money?

Someone should have told us at QZ this was happening before I forked out money for an outdated one. 
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »
Smoky,

Hang onto your money until Fred Thomas tells you he needs it.

Use can use the other flag at Compuserve rallies  ;D

Phil

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »
Someone should have told us at QZ this was happening before I forked out money for an outdated one. 

Smoky,

There are REAL forum flags and NEWBIE forum flags.  You have a REAL forum flag.  When you fly both at a rally, the REAL forum flag should be displayed higher than the NEWBIE forum flag.  :)

Phil

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:50 PM »
Phil!

What a grand answer.  That does, actually make me feel a whole lot better.  From newbie to veteran old timer in just a year.  I will fly the old one proudly!   :D

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2006, 09:43:41 PM »
Phil!

What a grand answer.  That does, actually make me feel a whole lot better.  From newbie to veteran old timer in just a year.  I will fly the old one proudly!   :D

Smoky,

You're not alone. I just ordered a newbie flag but still have an original that has never been flown. Guess I'll have to upgrade my flagpole system. May need to install a yardarm!!! :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:49:21 AM by RV Roamer »
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2006, 08:55:55 AM »
Whoa, folks. Slow down a bit. There aren't any new flags to order yet - Fred is getting quotes from vendors and Tom & Ron M. are working on an improved graphic to make a flag from.   At this point we are pretty much just expressing to Fred our interest in getting a new flag when they become available.  I'm sure Fred will let us know when a final price is determined and a tentative delivery date set.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2006, 09:32:10 AM »
Smoky,

You're not alone. I just ordered a newbie flag but still have an original that has never been flown. Guess I'll have to upgrade my flagpole system. May need to install a yardarm!!! :)

It will be easy to spot a rally, there will be yellow flags all over the place. ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2006, 09:33:55 AM »
It will be easy to spot a rally, there will be yellow flags all over the place. ;D

Only Smoky's new flag will be yellow, so he'll be easy to spot  ;D

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2006, 05:35:34 PM »
Ut oh.  I was easy to spot last year because of the full 50 amp service hook-up.  Now my yellow flag???   ;D

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2006, 07:33:25 PM »
Here is a logo. ;D
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2006, 08:07:24 AM »
Thanks for the logo. We'll add it to the mix for discussion at the Moab rally next week.

fredethomas

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
I have not been able to do anything with the flag project for many weeks now and it might be several weeks before I can do much more.  Not able to go to Moab and am not sure about Torrey yet.

I see there is discussion about flag design in progress.  I will up date you on what I have found out from two of the companies that were contacted.  The 6.5" by 6.5" logo I sent as the design is no good for purposes of making a flag.  The transmission to them must be a Vector file?? and in the .EPS extension.  I know nothing about those formats.  That requirement allows them to size the logo without visible pixels showing.    Looks like the price per will be between $43 and $47 each.  If any artwork needs to be done by them the cost is $56 an hour.

So - with all the discussion going on - I suggest you design a flag while at Moab or form an online group to do it.  I do not want to get mixed up in any confrontation where 40 people have 40 different ideas as what a flag should look like.  Daisy and I designed the present flags and there was no discussion - we did it.
FRED E. THOMAS

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »
EPS is Encapsulated PostScript and is desireable because of the scalilng problem.  A bit map just doesn't scale like a vector format.  I believe that Photshop should be able to create an EPS file as output.  I don't have PS but I know several members do.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2006, 08:42:32 PM »
Fred,

What format did you use to design the original flag and how was it transmitted to the flag supplier? I don't think we need 40 people designing the new flag and I'd gladly defer to you and Daisy. My comment about deciding at Moab was meant to suggest I'd be talking with you about a couple of options. I think I confused things by sending you the logo when you asked for "a graphic". More via email.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
I will settle for any flag of any design.  I agree with Tom.  Whoever takes this thankless task on ought to have the freedom to go with it.  Count me in when it comes time to buy one, even if it is a snapshot of Tom overnighting at WM!   ;D

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »
I will settle for any flag of any design. I agree with Tom. Whoever takes this thankless task on ought to have the freedom to go with it. Count me in when it comes time to buy one, even if it is a snapshot of Tom overnighting at WM! ;D

How about a green and white background with a red dragon in the center sitting on a Class A motorhome?

Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

DougJ

• ---
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »
I will settle for any flag of any design.  I agree with Tom.  Whoever takes this thankless task on ought to have the freedom to go with it.  Count me in when it comes time to buy one, even if it is a snapshot of Tom overnighting at WM!   ;D

I've put my name down for a flag so I feel that I have permission to echo Smoky's point.  What's more I have every confidence in Fred's & Daisy's ability to deliver a good forum flag for the Framily.
Ciao,

Doug

Hosted by Over The Network