any places you like to avoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl L said:
Old rule of thumb:  If it ain't got a yellow line down the middle, you don't belong on it with an RV.    At least not without scouting its entire length.

That would eliminate most of Alaska :)

Well, most frustrating in the past couple of years, was departing from the Nascar Race from Bristol last August.  Departing Farmer Bobs campground, Sunday after the race... simply being aloud to turn left would have been a 20 or 30min drive to Rt81.... but no.... directed to turn right.... thank you very much, bout an hour and a half through very beautiful country side.... single lane roads with no shoulders and dangerous curves and 15mph driving..... Won't do that again, will be leaving either earlier or later before detour but gotta figure another plan, what-ever.  Used to do a U-turn and go back with our old TT but current setup is like 50' between TV and 5Ver, very hard to turn around.

I'm thinking the Huey P long bridge in New Orleans......we call it white knuckle bridge. Never took an RV across cause it puckers me up to 9.5 just taking the PU.

San Bernardino - On East 5th last week, several temporary 4 Way Stop junctions - with two intersecting four lane highways, with left filters as well - absolute mayhem.
I quite enjoyed San Francisco driving (not with trailer) - The only scary moment was turning down Jones St and not being able to see anything but sky through the front windshield.

I solved the Hue P Long Bridge - drive down the center line of the two narrow lanes - nothing can get past and you have room to spare. (last tiem we were there they were widening it)

London England at 4 P.M on Friday driving a 1954 Hudson Super Hornet. They even drive on the wrong side of the road!

Branson, Missouri. I live about an hour from there, and we go every once in a while to eat at a decent restaurant, but I just can't stomach all those hack "entertainers". I can't pay to see somebody doing a "tribute" when it's no more expensive to see the real person or group. And who ever told them it is the "Entertainment Capitol of the World"?!? I know, I know, I'm probably the only one in the world to think this way, but I just can't help it! Quick story about Branson- we were sitting in Denny's having breakfast and this girl came over to invite us to a free concert at the mall by WalMart. She said her boyfriend was playing there. His name was Jackson Cash. Apparently he's a Johnny Cash impersonator. Having the same name as Johnny, I asked her how he was related. She said, "Oh, he's not. He just took that name. And I actually think he's better than Johnny Cash!" I told her she just committed a blasphemy and get the heck away from my table!!

M1894 said:
London England at 4 P.M on Friday driving a 1954 Hudson Super Hornet. They even drive on the wrong side of the road!

If I were sitting in a '54 Hudson Super Hornet, I couldn't care less where I was :-* .

fastrak100 said:
San Bernardino - On East 5th last week, several temporary 4 Way Stop junctions - with two intersecting four lane highways, with left filters as well - absolute mayhem.
I quite enjoyed San Francisco driving (not with trailer) - The only scary moment was turning down Jones St and not being able to see anything but sky through the front windshield.
  I accidently had to cross that bridge, with a horse trailer.A sign said no semi passing each other on the bridge.That would be impossible.I rubbed off the white letters on the tires on my trailer, and was inches from hitting the cars on my right.Never again.
  Oops, wrong post to quote.It was the Huey P Long Bridge.

Bigdave 2 said:
  Oops, wrong post to quote.It was the Huey P Long Bridge.
We took the Huey P. Long bridge a couple of years ago.  I wound up dragging the tip of my exhaust pipe on the curb along the outside lane while trying to keep a safe distance between me and the inside lane.  If it had been dark, I'm sure there would have been sparks flying.  If I go that way again, I might consider road hogging the two lanes and just drive faster to keep from blocking too much traffic.  What a bridge!

tdst51 said:
Branson, Missouri. I live about an hour from there, and we go every once in a while to eat at a decent restaurant, but I just can't stomach all those hack "entertainers". I can't pay to see somebody doing a "tribute" when it's no more expensive to see the real person or group. And who ever told them it is the "Entertainment Capitol of the World"?!? I know, I know, I'm probably the only one in the world to think this way, but I just can't help it! Quick story about Branson- we were sitting in Denny's having breakfast and this girl came over to invite us to a free concert at the mall by WalMart. She said her boyfriend was playing there. His name was Jackson Cash. Apparently he's a Johnny Cash impersonator. Having the same name as Johnny, I asked her how he was related. She said, "Oh, he's not. He just took that name. And I actually think he's better than Johnny Cash!" I told her she just committed a blasphemy and get the heck away from my table!!

Try Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg...Christmas time in Gatlinburg is very interesting, very interesting. 

tdst51 said:
I, too, live near Branson and I have never been to one of those stupid shows.  However, I would not say one should avoid Branson - at least, not the Branson area.  It is a beautiful place with something for everyone - including those interested in "The Entertainment Capitol of the World".  But, the fishing and camping and just plain old sight seeing is the real attraction along with the nice non-entertainment folks around here.  C'mon down (up, over, whatever the case).

BernieD said:
If I were sitting in a '54 Hudson Super Hornet, I couldn't care less where I was :-* .

Had one..either 54 or 55, I was a teenager at the time and had no respect for the machinery. It was Green and I don't remember it saying super. She sure would run!

Two places I like to avoid - Toronto and Montreal. 

Both are nice places to visit... but absolute nightmares to drive in.  I've had better times driving through Baltimore and DC.

Of all the places that I always try to avoid here are my top two.

New York City.

I-70 between Vail and Denver, Colorado on Sunday evenings during Ski Season. I have been delayed up to 6 hours between Vail and Frisco. Numerous times I have taken up to 5 or 6 hours to drive that route into Denver on Sunday evenings over what would be a two hour trip in the Summer.

For some reason, skiers don't seem to understand that when it is snowing on the ski slopes, there is also snow on the highway. Very few skiers put real winter snow tires on their vehicles. Most, I would guess 99 percent, think "All-Weather" tires are for Winter.

pricejh said:
Try Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg...Christmas time in Gatlinburg is very interesting, very interesting.

Went there just this last September. Wouldn't go back. VERY overrated and overpriced. It reminded me of being at a carnival. The aquarium was just okay; we've seen much better. Took a few motor tours through the Smokies that were really nice, hiked a little bit, packed up and went home a day early. Oh yeah- the distillery was kind of neat- they do like to give out free samples. Walked out of there a little sideways. Glad we didn't drive. It is a beautiful place, and thanks anyway for the suggestions!

Molaker said:
I, too, live near Branson and I have never been to one of those stupid shows.  However, I would not say one should avoid Branson - at least, not the Branson area.  It is a beautiful place with something for everyone - including those interested in "The Entertainment Capitol of the World".  But, the fishing and camping and just plain old sight seeing is the real attraction along with the nice non-entertainment folks around here.  C'mon down (up, over, whatever the case).

You are so right! It is a beautiful place, and there is lots to do besides going to shows. Thanks for reminding me. My DW says I do tend to go off on tangents once in a while...

As the passenger, there are several I dread...

Hartford, CT

NY City  (we do I 83/4? instead)

Chicago

Houston

Dallas

and Salt Lake City bothers Fred

Daisy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member