tow bar and base plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim @ Fran

Hi....First time RV owner and have been looking at tow bars/base plates etc to tow a 2004 saturn vue and almost choked when I saw what some of them are priced at......I am very safety concious but would like to save a buck if I can...Any suggestions out there on a reasonally priced rig????? I also have been looking at multimeters and ones I have looked at are 35.00 and up...Believe I read somewhere about a inexpensive radio shack one that was recommended...tried to search it but couldnt find what I read...spent quite a bit of time reading old posts....Any help would be greatly appreciated.... 

Harbor Freight has multimeters for under $5 (sometimes on sale for as little as $1!). They are fine for basic 12v and 120v troubleshooting in an RV.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Base plates are costly because they are very low volume sales items. Not much to do about that. Tow bars vary depending on their sophistication (convenience of use). The really nice tow bars like Blue Ox Aventa LX or Roadmaster All Terrain are pricey, while their lesser brethren cost quite a bit less.

Use Google to shop for prices on the models you are interested in. Try ebay & craigslist too. You can even find used ones from time to time.

Don't forget the toad brake - that's a price shocker too.  One of the least expensive ways to go is to use the Readybrake Readybrute towbar, which isa decent tow bar that has a surge-type braking system integrated with it for around $1100.
http://www.readybrake.com/tow-bars.html

Keep an eye on e-Bay and Craigslist.  Sometimes a used tow bar and/or base plate shows up for a reasonable price.

This link is to a site that has preowned tow stuff.
http://www.hitchtrader.com/

I was able to find my Roadmaster All Terrain on Ebay at about 60% of everyone else's price, but bought new base plates, and installed an Air Force One braking system. Yes, it was sticker shock, but my investment ended up right around $2000.

In the grand scheme of things, given the value of the toad, and grief that comes from having one get loose, a good towing system might be one of the places your hard earned money would be well spent.

Getting error message on that Hitch trader site...anyway a tennis buddy of mine who recently sold his motorhome and isnt planning on traveling anymore has a 2 year old blue ox tow bar that Im getting for very little so will need a base plate which I can research with all your help....also have a harbor freight here in Appleton, WI and will pick up a multimeter..have never used one before.....The base plate he has is on a Honda CRV which looks quite different than the one for a Saturn...Seem to be vehicle specific so pretty hard to find a used one...

Anyone out there have experience towing a 2004 Saturn Vue with 6 cyclinder and all wheel drive with automatic???  wondering what all I will have to do to the toad.....
Again many thanks for all the help and advise...

I just went through the hitch deal and shock is a good word. Also, don't forget about $1000 to install it.

Frank

FrankNichols said:
I just went through the hitch deal and shock is a good word. Also, don't forget about $1000 to install it.

$1000 would cover the base plate, tow bar, and installation.  Installation alone should be no more than about $200.  Only the base plate needs an installation, the tow bar mounts in the hitch receiver on the motorhome.

Jim @ Fran
For the base plate, go to the Blue Ox web site and look up your vehicle and it will tell you what base plate is needed.

Ned,

Installation on my Toyota Yaris required removing the facia, modifying/cutting some frame members, installing the base plate then putting it all back together, then installation of the surge brake system and cables, etc. Total 8 hours at $100/hr.

Frank

Called GM dealer to ask if there was any reason why I couldnt tow a 2004 saturn vue with all wheel drive and they said it cant be done...has to be on a trailer......Thanks for all your help....going to look for a different tow vehicle I think.....

Frank, we had our 1997 Honda base plate installed in a parking lot in less than 2 hours, including wiring the lights.  Some vehicles are more complicated than others, but few require what yours did.

Ned,

I know, I was blown away when I read the instructions Blue OX provided. There is no way I could have done it myself in less than 12 to16 hours and then I would not have been sure it was right. And yes, I forgot the wiring and adding in rear turn/brake lights. $1500 for the tow bar package and $1000 for install, made me think maybe we didn't really need a toad - sigh.

Frank

You would think the car manufacturers would design the frames to make it easier to install a towing base plate ::)

I have installed baseplates on 2 Saturns (SL2 and Ion) . Blue Ox has all the instructions you need on their website. 
It took me about 4 hrs for each. I bought my tow bar on E-bay for $256. Got the SL base plates from Hitch traderfor $250. Bought a Brake buddy $550 on E-Bay.
When I traded Saturns I could not find used baseplated so I bought new on line for $400.
I would not hesitate to install them again.

Anyone out there have experience towing a 2004 Saturn Vue with 6 cyclinder and all wheel drive with automatic???  wondering what all I will have to do to the toad.....

I've got some bad news for you - your 2004 Vue automatic AWD cannot be towed 4-down. Or on a dolly either. It has to be trailered. None of the '04 Vue automatics are towable - only the manual tranny. Vues didn't became towable until 2006.

Jim @ Fran said:
Again many thanks for all the help and advise...

Google "How to use a multimeter" for more than you ever wanted to know.

thanks Gary..I mentioned that in earlier post about not being towable.....bummer ...now looking for a different toad.....would think stick shift would work the best???    not sure what all has to be done to the toad.....anyway thanks again for all the help....still going to get the blue ox tow bar and will match it with the base plate when I decide what Im going to tow.....

Most stick shifts are towable, but not all of them. Some automatics are towable as is, as are most 4WD with a shiftable transfer case. And nearly all front-drive automatics can be towed with the addition of a transmission lube pump.

There are two web sites that are your best friends when toad shopping:

1. Remco Towing lists about every vehicle made and what it takes to tow it, if possible at all. Remco sells lube pumps, but they have quality advice on all models of vehicles.
http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

2. Motorhome Magazine's year-by-year Dinghy Towing Guides
http://motorhome.tl.com/output.cfm?id=213607

There are two web sites that are your best friends when toad shopping:

Remco's site only lists lube pump applications, you have to go to another company that now handles the disconnects that Remco towing used to provide. Rear drive and some 4x4 require the disconnect. But the best thing to do when shopping is to read the owner's manual for the car you are interested in. Frequently, the magazine listings are incomplete or the accessory manufacturers don't have the latest models designs. If the owner's manual says the car isn't towable, then go to Remco or RemcoDsc.

Remco's site only lists lube pump applications,

That's not really true, Bernie. Both Remco sites list ALL vehicles and what, if anything, is required to tow them, whether they sell the required equipment or not. So if you only need information, you can use either of the two Remco brand sites,  either Remco Towing or REMCO Drive Shaft Coupling.  I only mentioned one of them to keep things simple.

But if you want to buy the product or locate a dealer for it, you need to use the appropriate site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom