Anyone else have Magic Jack problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
I have been experimenting with Magic Jack for a year and finally dumped ATT & had my ATT number ported over to Magic Jack.  For all intents and purposes it has worked well.  Last Wednesday I attempted to place a call to Boulder, Utah ( 435-335-XXXX) but couldn't get there.  I reported it then and have made several followup reports but just get a response stating that they are working on it.  A week is way to long for resolution.  Has anyone else ran into this issue........ any other areas that can't be called?

George, this is timely as we are just about to head south and it is/was my intention to not use a land line, going with our Tracfone and adding a Magic Jack.  So, I'll be interested in the responses.

ed

MJ is also my primary phone at home.  I've travelled all over the west and have never had a problem with it except in fringe areas where I couldn't get internet.  Any place I could get decent wifi I got decent MJ.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    George, this is timely as we are just about to head south and it is/was my intention to not use a land line, going with our Tracfone and adding a Magic Jack.  So, I'll be interested in the responses.

ed
Unless you see a need to call Boulder, Utah my recommendation would be to go ahead with Magic Jack.  I am satisfied, except for this problem.
sheltie said:
MJ is also my primary phone at home.  I've travelled all over the west and have never had a problem with it except in fringe areas where I couldn't get internet.  Any place I could get decent wifi I got decent MJ.
Experimenting; try calling 435-335-7382 (Petroglyph State Park) and see if it rings.

geodrake said:
I have been experimenting with Magic Jack for a year and finally dumped ATT & had my ATT number ported over to Magic Jack.  For all intents and purposes it has worked well.  Last Wednesday I attempted to place a call to Boulder, Utah ( 435-335-XXXX) but couldn't get there.  I reported it then and have made several followup reports but just get a response stating that they are working on it.  A week is way to long for resolution.  Has anyone else ran into this issue........ any other areas that can't be called?
I've used it for a couple of years now, it's not perfect, but for the most part it's been alright.  Remember, this is IP based, all VOIP is going to have it's problems from time to time.  If certain numbers are not available, they are probably working on agreements to port to networks, or some router has some problem with it's tables, so it may take time to sort out.  It sure is cheap, I think I paid about $59.00 for five years.  I've carried it around and used it overseas a bunch of times, was primary phone for a year on one stint, definitely worth the periodic hassle in MHO.

12-7-2011

The Verizon network is down across the nation.  Maybe that is it.

JerryF

Experimenting; try calling 435-335-7382 (Petroglyph State Park) and see if it rings.
[/quote]

Nope, all I get is a dial tone.  Can you get anything when you use a cell phone or landline?

sheltie said:

Nope, all I get is a dial tone.  Can you get anything when you use a cell phone or landline?

just called from my LL and got the ans machine, as expected, so it works. hope that helps some.

Thanks!  I have also been able to get through if I place the call on something other than Magic Jack. 

I used to use Magic Jack when traveling but after porting my home phone number to the Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect for $20 a month and unlimited long distance calls, I have only used the MJ on rare occasions when I was out of VZ service and had a wireless computer connection.

The problem as described is probably caused by the receiving telephone company not having an "interconnect" agreement with Magic Jack.  I could go into tons of technical crap, but basically, every operating telephone carrier has to "allow" connections from other carriers based on federal rules.  However, many carriers get around things like allowing alternate carriers access to their networks by a number of methods.  The most typical way is "accidentally" missing/forgetting to allow that connection.

Another issue is also the "connection fee" that one carrier charges another carrier.  Sometimes the fees charged are just plain silly, or stupidly expensive.  With the propogation of new phone numbers, and new carriers, connection fees can be a great source of revenue.

The end result is that, for one reason or the other, MJ can't complete your call to that location because they don't have a valid connection agreement.  Stupid, yes, but that's what it most likely is.

And yes, I'm a retired telephone guy with almost 40 years experience.  No, not the absolute expert, but I have run into exactly the described issue myself trying to call Wyoming from my MJ phone.

Yep, MJ finally fessed up that the problem is the lack of an interconnect agreement.

We tried calling my B-I-L Christmas day 309-383-XXXX, same problem.

We brought an old laptop down to Florida to marry it up to a MJ, but when we went to Wallyworld, they had a MJ Plus.  It plugs into a 110 outlet, and a cable from the modem, and it doesn't need a computer, plus it is the total size of less that a pack of playing cards.  The MJ  can still be used with a laptop via a USB port, or with its 110 connection.
      So far it is working fine, receives calls to and from Canada clear as a bell.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
      We brought an old laptop down to Florida to marry it up to a MJ, but when we went to Wallyworld, they had a MJ Plus.  It plugs into a 110 outlet, and a cable from the modem, and it doesn't need a computer, plus it is the total size of less that a pack of playing cards.  The MJ  can still be used with a laptop via a USB port, or with its 110 connection.
      So far it is working fine, receives calls to and from Canada clear as a bell.

Ed
Yes, the newest model does not need a PC.  We received an offer to go with the new model for half price, however existing customers lose their existing contracted period.  The offer is so reasonable though, we are considering it, being you can just plug into the router or modem without PC connection.

A possible work around for areas where MJ cannot connect would be to use a Google Voice account. You just call your Google Voice number and select option #2 to place a call, and then dial the number. Since the call will be routed via Google's California facilities, the lack of an MJ interconnect agreement won't matter. We used the same process to make calls to Canada from our Sprint cell phones at standard minutes usage rates. Now we have TRacfones that include calls to Canada at standard rates.

I was staying in Jacksonville, FL for 2 months.  Tried calling my parents, brother, and sister who all have MJ at their homes in Tampa Bay area.  I could never complete a call and got various recorded messages upon each attempt.  Once I got out of the Jacksonville area, I have no trouble completing calls to their MJ numbers.  Sounds like the telephone operating agreement problem.

We switched from Vonage to MJ a little over a year ago due to savings. We call overseas several times a month so we purchased MJ units for family members in the Philippines, Japan & England and it works great. Every once in a while we will have a connection problem where the line will just cut out in the middle of a conversation then we just have to call back. The only problem we have had lately is my 4y/o daughter on the computer where the MJ connection is just closing the MJ application while we are on the phone so we get disconnected. We are getting the MJ+ which doesn't require your computer to be turned on, you just plug it into your ISP modem or router so as long as you have a live Internet connection with your ISP your phone line will work.

We have a MJ plus, but still have periodic problems with dropped calls.  Being on the internet while on the phone seems to worsen the problem, but it isn't every phone that seems to be dropped.

Ed

We have had a MJ for about 6 years (the old fashioned type) and disconnects are not unusual, although it has gotten better over the years. We have also encountered problems calling certain area codes (in the same telephone company's area) but they come and go.

We don't call MJ numbers as a rule. Ours is a USA number, not related to anywhere I travel as Canadian numbers were not available at that time. There is still no local numbers available in the area where we spend the winter so our neighbours could call it without long distance charges to them. Any accidental calls to my MJ number are forwarded to my home Landline, either here or in our winter home. Consequently, we only use it to dial out for long distance and don't leave it connected otherwise. For the price, all in all, not a bad service, except for the odd disconnect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom