"Extend-a-Stay" propane question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robthreedee

Hey everyone...  yet another obstacle in the world that is RVing...LOL

I didn't get the brand name extend-a-stay but at the local RV park we pieced together a "T" between the main tank valve and the regulator and because the main tank is smack dab in the middle of the RV I needed to run a longer hose to the portable tank.  Everything went well until I sprayed the soapy water on. 

The connections were all fine...I had to tighten a couple, no big deal...but then I saw bubbles a plenty from where the brand new hoses connected to the fittings, is this normal or should I find better hoses?  I'm guessing it IS NOT normal and just left everything off and disconnected until I find out better.

Also....  plumbers tape or no plumbers tape?

Thanks

Rob

It is not normal.. You should see NO BUBBLES.. I highly recommend a quality product like Extend-a-Stay or Camping World's knock off of it.  I have seen a few home brewed units using a "T" as you are doing and frankly they scare me.  I make sure I park good and far from them.  Keep waiting for the KA-BOOM!

John From Detroit said:
It is not normal.. You should see NO BUBBLES.. I highly recommend a quality product like Extend-a-Stay or Camping World's knock off of it.  I have seen a few home brewed units using a "T" as you are doing and frankly they scare me.  I make sure I park good and far from them.  Keep waiting for the KA-BOOM!

Sounds like sound advice....  thanks for confirming my course of action!!!

Were you seeing bubbles from the threads, or from where the rubber is crimped onto the metal end?

The first indicates the need for pipe dope - the second is a sign of a bad crimp and reason to replace the hose.

Lou Schneider said:
Were you seeing bubbles from the threads, or from where the rubber is crimped onto the metal end?

The first indicates the need for pipe dope - the second is a sign of a bad crimp and reason to replace the hose.

The kit makes it easy..that being said there is no reason you can't go to a hardware store and purchase fittings to pipe your propane system...as was stated previously it is not recommended to use thread tape (Teflon) as there is a possibility of the tape shredding a piece off that could lodge in a valve or regulating device. You need to use a good thread dope, it acts as a lubricant to allow tightening to make good metal to metal seals. The system pressure is not great after the regulator it is 11in/wc (less than 1/2 pound) but the hoses need to be rated to be used in that application & there should Zero signs of bubbles. At home I take a bar of soap, Ivory works nicely, put it in a coffee cup and add some water & use a small paint brush, swishing it around to make a foam, and "paint" the fittings. When working we typically use spray bottles w/a solution in it. Remember propane is heavier than air and will build to dangerous levels in compartments or unventilated spaces.
My local farm/feed store, Tractor Supply, sells hoses some 15' long. It is not recommended to use galvanized fittings, they are fine for water, or non steel piping other than copper or brass.
I am a retired union plumber/pipefitter/HAVC & R journeyman and instructor. That being said I never advise an individual not trained in explosive gasses to be their own installer. This is not "rocket science" but it can easily be very dangerous to people & property if not done correctly. Having it installed by a qualified installer person can be the best solution. If the infamous "something" goes wrong there will be liability issues.
I hope I answered your questions w/o too much extra verbiage.

Lou Schneider said:

the crimp....  that's what i was saying...  the hose is messed up..

Icemaker said:
The kit makes it easy..that being said there is no reason you can't go to a hardware store and purchase fittings to pipe your propane system...as was stated previously it is not recommended to use thread tape (Teflon) as there is a possibility of the tape shredding a piece off that could lodge in a valve or regulating device. You need to use a good thread dope, it acts as a lubricant to allow tightening to make good metal to metal seals. The system pressure is not great after the regulator it is 11in/wc (less than 1/2 pound) but the hoses need to be rated to be used in that application & there should Zero signs of bubbles. At home I take a bar of soap, Ivory works nicely, put it in a coffee cup and add some water & use a small paint brush, swishing it around to make a foam, and "paint" the fittings. When working we typically use spray bottles w/a solution in it. Remember propane is heavier than air and will build to dangerous levels in compartments or unventilated spaces.
My local farm/feed store, Tractor Supply, sells hoses some 15' long. It is not recommended to use galvanized fittings, they are fine for water, or non steel piping other than copper or brass.
I am a retired union plumber/pipefitter/HAVC & R journeyman and instructor. That being said I never advise an individual not trained in explosive gasses to be their own installer. This is not "rocket science" but it can easily be very dangerous to people & property if not done correctly. Having it installed by a qualified installer person can be the best solution. If the infamous "something" goes wrong there will be liability issues.
I hope I answered your questions w/o too much extra verbiage.

Nono, not at all...  it's great having information so you can do it correctly!!

robthreedee said:
the crimp....  that's what i was saying...  the hose is messed up..

Crimps can't be repaired...the end needs to be remade ...not a task done by a avg "home owner".
Take the hose back and get a new one...if a second crimp leaks, even a tiny it, return it and use a different supplier.
As a side note those metal "hoses" sold as appliance connectors are just that...they can be bent to fit but aren't designed to be used like a hose is because of limited flexibility. You can use them to hook up a stationary appliance...not your grill.

My guess is that the hose is not rated for high pressure. Your tee is located between the tank and the regulator, so the hose is subject to high tank pressures rather than the very low 11" W.C. after the regulator.

Gary RV Roamer said:
My guess is that the hose is not rated for high pressure. Your tee is located between the tank and the regulator, so the hose is subject to high tank pressures rather than the very low 11" W.C. after the regulator.

Thanks Gary, my assumption was that all the hi-pressure piping was hard piped ...never thought about it as otherwise ..that's a whole new can-of-worms...sorry I didn't pick up on that.. :'( :-[

I have had the same problem with the crimps on the high pressure hoses from Marshall Brass. I bought 2 and they both leaked at the crimps. I went to Tractor supply and bought Camco brand i think and no leaks.

Talking with a propane guy and he recommended coming off the tanks with the regulator and all low pressure hoses the rest of the way. Of course not practical with a motor home or travel trailer.

I'm off to another RV place this morning  WITH my regulator and get what I need to hook up safely....  thanks for all the great info... 

I tell you this much... I'm on a quite a few this forums ranging from photography to automobiles and there are some awesome folk on those forums, but this forum is easily the best one for the subject matter.  Quick and accurate responses that are soooooooooo helpful.  I'd be way way behind the learning curve if not for you wonderful people!!  ...(and I've had several roblems) (that's a not a typo...  think about it  :) )

Thanks,
Rob

Gary RV Roamer said:

You have a fantastic point there Gary... I said before I've seen "home brew" systems that truly scared me.

One of the reasons.. The person who had it.. The sales types assumed she had made modifications on the LOW PRESSURE (Roughly 1/2 PSI) side of the regulator, told her she needed a regulator on the portable bottle.. I'm guessing they sold her low pressure hose too.

Of course the Genuine article goes on the HIGH PRESSURE side of the regulator. what is that,  I know the pump pressure when I fill the tank approaches a kiloPSI, but I don't actually . hold on.. Google is my friend. Well, 100 PSI is common, When the mercury breaks 100, the PSI breaks 200, (or there about) the chart went up to 257 at 130 degrees F.

That's way more than 1/2 no matter how you package it.

I got the right connector, the right adapters, the right thread sealant and the right hose.  No bubbles whatsoever... 

Thank you all so very much, Roblem solved.  :)

Question: Is there any way, on your system, for Propane in the main tank to pass to the aux (portable) tank, or to  vent to the atmosphere if said tank is not connected? 

IF SO.. you still have a problem

The Genuine Extend-a-Stay and the Stay-a-wile both prevent this.  Just so you know.

John From Detroit said:
Question: Is there any way, on your system, for Propane in the main tank to pass to the aux (portable) tank, or to  vent to the atmosphere if said tank is not connected? 

IF SO.. you still have a problem

The Genuine Extend-a-Stay and the Stay-a-wile both prevent this.  Just so you know.

John, the kit I bought from CW didn't have an isolation valve on the hose, which fed into the  line from the tank to the regulator supply for the11in W.C. side so I had to block it off. when on the spare tank the main tank is isolated. I guess they both could be open but that would deplete both. When I install one on my DP I'll do that.
To hijack this thread a bit... my gen set on the DP is propane...liquid fed I'm told..also told it runs fine on vapor ..does anybody advise tapping into the liquid side??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom