The Trona Pinnacles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
During our stay in Inyokern, we ventured to the community of Trona where the Trona Pinnacles are located. Trona, as I have mentioned before, is a community where Trona is converted to soda ash to make, among other things, glass.

The Trona Pinnacles are a jouney into a most unusual geologic wonder of California. The pinnacles are calcium carbonate spires rising from the bed of the Searles Dry Lake basin. These Tulfa spires are from 10,000 to 100,000 years old!!!  The drive through the pinnacles reminds me of Monument Valley. They certainly are not as magnificent as Monument Valley but one can travel around and view them from all different angles. The biggest difference is one does not have to pay an entry fee and they do not need an Indian guide for any portion of the area.

The pinnacles are supposed to be very intriguing during a full moon which we missed by two days!!

I've attached some photos which I hope you will enjoy.

Attachments

• Trona Pinnacles2 (Small).jpg
    Trona Pinnacles2 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Trona Pinnacles3 (Small).jpg
    Trona Pinnacles3 (Small).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Trona Pinnacles (Small).jpg
    Trona Pinnacles (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 31
RV Roamer said:
Neat pics, Jim.  I hadn't even heard of Trona until you mentioned it, but it looks unique.

Gary

The Historical Society Gift Shop in Trona sells road signs that say: Nowhere 10 Miles, Trona 15 Miles.

RV Roamer said:
Neat pics, Jim.  I hadn't even heard of Trona until you mentioned it, but it looks unique.

Hi Gary,

I hadn't heard of them either until we got the local guide from the campground. It described the drive from Inyokern to Death Valley and what you would be seeing. They are 7 miles out on a dirt road but that never stopped me. ;D They apparently have been used in several science fiction movies.

BernieD said:
RV Roamer said:

Gary

The Historical Society Gift Shop in Trona sells road signs that say: Nowhere 10 Miles, Trona 15 Miles.

Bernie,

I didn't realize Trona has an Historical shop!!! Didn't look like it had anything but the chemical plants.

Jim

There is a nice little museum in town that gives the history of the mines and the town. That is also where there is information on Searles Lake. Once a year, they seed the surface with the geodes that come from the dry lake and, after paying a prospecting fee, you can go on the lake and "harvest" your own.

BernieD said:
Jim

There is a nice little museum in town that gives the history of the mines and the town. That is also where there is information on Searles Lake. Once a year, they seed the surface with the geodes that come from the dry lake and, after paying a prospecting fee, you can go on the lake and "harvest" your own.

Sounds like Trona deserves another visit someday!

Back
Top Bottom