"Extend-a-Stay" propane question Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robthreedee

Well that didn't take long.

I walked outside and heard a hissing from valve in the red circle. I shut the gas off and when I removed the coupling there was gas leaking from the valve the wires are attached to in the red circle.  I'm guessing the auxiliary tank was pushing gas into the main tank and then started pushing it back out.  So the electric shut off is malfunctioning.  I closed the manual valve you see in the red circle and the hissing stopped. 

Obviously I'm gonna have that replaced no question about that!!!!!.........But in the meant time, I'm guessing shutting that valve will seperate the main tank from everything else (more reliable than the emergency shut off switch) or can I just hook up the aux tank directly to the regulator?  Idealy wouldn't this be fine and dandy anyway because I'll be by-passing the T and leaving everything out of the equation except gas to regulator to appliances?  I have no need for the main tank anyway.  I have two aux propane tanks.

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_13-27-57_24 - Copy.jpg
    2011-12-09_13-27-57_24 - Copy.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 49
New configuration.  Problem solved....

Attachments

• 2011-12-09_14-25-34_181.jpg
    2011-12-09_14-25-34_181.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 46
If I'm seeing the second photo (9-14-55-34-181) properly the circle on the left is the main tank valve, and the hose runs off to the AUX tank.

That is the PROPER install

On the other photo 12=27-57-24,  I don't see where the hose goes co can not comment,

John From Detroit said:
If I'm seeing the second photo (9-14-55-34-181) properly the circle on the left is the main tank valve, and the hose runs off to the AUX tank.

That is the PROPER install

On the other photo 12=27-57-24,  I don't see where the hose goes co can not comment,

John, the install was proper...but the main shut off valve was malfunctioning...so I used the knob on the bottom (in the red circle) to completely shut off the main tank and isolate it....  in the second pic showing the regulator, the hose on the left runs from an aux tank and the pipe on the right of the regulator runs to the house...that's where it was originally hooked up before this fiasco began..  What I did was simply left out the "T" attachment that would allow me to switch from the main tank to an aux tank...  I'm gonna get that entire unit replaced,  if neccessary, starting with the emergency shut off valve and the valve controlled by the small knob in the red circle.  In the mean time I have propane for heat and cooking..  no big deal because I have two large portable tanks and have no need for the main tank in the foreseable future...  I wished I had thought of this before... KISS  (keep it simple stupid)  LOL

I've found that "they" use some kind of REALLY good thread sealant when the factory installs those valves. You'll have fun removing it..you might look at getting a tank from a RV scrap yard..

Icemaker said:
I've found that "they" use some kind of REALLY good thread sealant when the factory installs those valves. You'll have fun removing it..you might look at getting a tank from a RV scrap yard..

I'll probably just HAVE the entire tank and system replaced with new stuff...  peace of mind and resale value..ya know?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom