Stuck Water Heater Plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a very timely thread.  I looked at our old Silver Streak water heater and I saw where hubby had removed what was left of the plug.  I was telling him didn't see how he could put anything back in there, he said he can use a pipe plug, have to find out what that is.

But I was looking at some not so old travel trailers to buy one and put on one of our lots to rent.  to much work needs to be done yet on Silver number 2 to rent it.

So I looked at a 2009, the plug was rusty and looked difficult to remove, same on a 2007.  I ended up buying the 2007 Jayco 28 ft 5th wheel with 1 slide. It's a cute little trailer, had it rented before I bought it.  But I must say on inspecting it closely I was very disappointed in the construction.  Inside it is gorgeous but so cheaply made, no moldings, it is tape!!  Yes tape instead of moldings, underneath a very lightweight looking trailer.  It will serve its purpose and I think I got a decent buy so will use it.  But even our Winnie is much better constructed and the old Eagle and Streak puts them all to shame.  What happened to the RV industry? 

The unit is a repo, the tag had never been removed from the couch and the dealer said the packing was still in the microwave and oven.  He is a very very small dealer and a joy to work with.  But I asked about the water heaters and he said they get like that even if not very old.

I know the Eagle doesn't look like that.  I remember talking about it and read in the manuals that it is gas but had an addon electric.  I know when I posted a picture that is what you guys said, they added an electric cord that is plugged into an outlet in the closet, we thought it was jerry rigged, turns out it came that way.  I'm guessing propane was eating their lunch for a 10 gallon water heat and with a washer.

What happened to the RV industry? 

Cheap is what happened. Far too often, Americans buy based solely on the look of the amenities plus the price.  Every RV is made to sell at a certain price point, and the components, fit and finish are a slave to that objective.

You will likely find that the wallboard in that trailer is a composite, with paper veneer simulating wood grain (or wallpaper), so taped seams is consistent with that.

Yes, it is a wallboard, the dealer and I talked about that before I bought it.  Very very cheaply made in my opinion.

My 2005 Winnebago is extremely well constructed compared to this.  I was not pleasantly surprised.  I'm beginning to think getting old ones and fixing them may be better then the newer ones.  And the dealer told me the prices for these things new, absolutely outrageous. 

Ok, just heard from the dealer where my 5'er is and the water heater plug was cross-threaded, so they had to recap the water heater.

A while back i was working on some propane lines and while picking up some fittings i looked for the yellow gas tape and could not find it so i went ahead and bought the Teflon pipe dope.

I was later told by my next door neighbor a RV tech, never use Teflon tape on any type of gas or refrigerant fittings because it could stop up jets or regulators. He also told me there is little difference in the yellow or white Teflon tape. The yellow is a little thicker and is yellow in color to be used on gas fittings.

I was curious and googled it and sure enough it says they are no different other than color.

I know the yellow tape is more expensive than the white???

I think you should Google it again and check some more reliable sources. The yellow tape is thicker and chemically able to withstand use with natural gas, LPG, and other hydrocarbon fuels. It conforms to a different material spec than the white tape.

I'm not championing the use of the tape vs pipe dope - just trying to avoid misinformation.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I think you should Google it again and check some more reliable sources. The yellow tape is thicker and chemically able to withstand use with natural gas, LPG, and other hydrocarbon fuels. It conforms to a different material spec than the white tape.

I'm not championing the use of the tape vs pipe dope - just trying to avoid misinformation.
Gary i am in no way an authority on this subject. I got my info from Wikipedia under thread seal tape. Seems info is all over the place. Every place i look the info is slightly different. Wikipedia seems to show a source that states back in 1970 some governing counsel decided there should be different colors and thicknesses of thread tape. White for plumbing, yellow for gas and green for oxygen as it is oil free.

Each has a different thickness. Nowhere can i find that each contains different compounds to withstand the recommended application.

I am like most, i think that thread tape, or as i have always called it friction tape is just that, it allows fittings to screw together without binding due to burrs in the metal or binding in the plastic. The ability for it to seal a leak is just a matter of making the fitting joint a tighter seal.

After what i have learned i would probably use the color recommend for the application or the right pipe dope which also comes in different colors.

After what everyone has said about thread tape in general possibly stopping up a gas orifice or regulator i will stick to Teflon tape on water connections and use the appropriate pipe dope on everything else.

Just my 2 cents and i was not trying to misinform anyone.

Peanutman said:
Sorry i quoted myself. ???

I too do that...often I'm told ...LOL...
As for our post I have been a refer tech for close to 40 years..we don't use tape on refrigeration fittings because compressor mfg's will void any warranty claim if they find it inside the compressor. Also it has caused issues w/gas ,hydrocarbon or other, due to not being used correctly and pieces being cut-off and traveling through the piping  interfering with control valves and plugging orifices. That being said, most pipefitters use it on most applications just insuring the first 2 threads are bare to prevent the chance of tape getting into the line. Some overkill and also use Teflon dope too, sparingly.
I've always called friction tape the electrical tape that is used to over-wrap a splice to give it more protection. It is rubbery and is stretched as applied and is a pia to remove..but gives the connection better resistance to the elements.

Gary RV Roamer said:
??  Friction tape is something altogether different than teflon or pipe thread tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_tape
Yes, in today's lingo they mean the same. Go to Home Depot and ask for friction tape and they will give you pipe thread or Teflon tape. I have always called it friction tape until i was corrected by an old timer in a real hardware store some time back.

I don't know if i have ever seen real friction tape and i am 47. Not saying you are an old timer, but it does seem to be a generational term used incorrectly. Friction tape that is. Maybe if i was a plumber or electrician i would know the correct term.

The point i was making earlier is are there proper codes for what color thread tape to use on what application? All that i read is the thickness of each color is different and it does point out that the green tape is oil free for use on oxygen applications.

Not wanting to argue here, just wondering what is code, is there a code and where does it say each color has a different chemical compound for it's application. I am just asking and learning as we converse.

Icemaker said:
I too do that...often I'm told ...LOL...
As for our post I have been a refer tech for close to 40 years..we don't use tape on refrigeration fittings because compressor mfg's will void any warranty claim if they find it inside the compressor. Also it has caused issues w/gas ,hydrocarbon or other, due to not being used correctly and pieces being cut-off and traveling through the piping  interfering with control valves and plugging orifices. That being said, most pipefitters use it on most applications just insuring the first 2 threads are bare to prevent the chance of tape getting into the line. Some overkill and also use Teflon dope too, sparingly.
I've always called friction tape the electrical tape that is used to over-wrap a splice to give it more protection. It is rubbery and is stretched as applied and is a pia to remove..but gives the connection better resistance to the elements.

See i have always known electrical tape as just that. I know some people call it vinyl tape. My brother-in-law is an electrician about my age and he has always called it electrical tape. He will also only use 3M brand.

I found some "Friction tape at  local DIB hardware store . On the back it reads "15 Mil Strong Cotton Cloth, Friction Tape is a tradition cover for rubber electrial splices. And, Ideal for many House hold uses. Ideal for wrapping handles on baseball bats and tools to improve grip.

Friction tape was commonly used for electrical wiring before the vinyl-based tapes came along. 3M's Scotch 33 is pretty much the gold standard for electricals tape and preferred by most pros..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom