How much RidX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
Ok.  I thought the chlorinated water would have more of an effect.  I have nothing to base that on.

And I also understand that the previous postings recipes pertain to RV's going down the road with the black tank getting churned up and cleaned while driving.  Myself, being a permanent, have been using a dose of 5 Star Yeast with nothing but a rinse of fresh tap water about every two months.  No chemicals in the tank or in the in-ground tank.
Any ideas for someone in my shoes?  My system seems to be working but just wondered if there are any better ideas out there.

With only two of us using the potty (Unless it's burrito nite.  Then the better half makes me go to the outhouse!), the black tank can go a while before needing attention.  I read somewhere that the yeast is eco-friendly and harmless.  It just take more time to do the job.  I just thought that for a black tank that doesn't get emptied every other week, that this would be a safe and effective alternative.

I have been living in my 5er for about a year now. I dump the black tank about every 7 days and flush the hose with the grey tanks. On #2's i use a full bowl of water to flush.
I do add an enzyme product to all tanks each week, less in the winter and more in the summer. I do believe it helps break down the paper and waste and keeps the sensors somewhat clean.

My rig has a tank wash for the black tank and i will let it run for around 10 mins while the tank is dumping.

I think the additives help some if you are stationary for a long period of time although i use a low cost product from Walmart and something that is formaldehyde free. 

Peanutman said:
I do add an enzyme product to all tanks each week, less in the winter and more in the summer. I do believe it helps break down the paper and waste and keeps the sensors somewhat clean.

My rig has a tank wash for the black tank and i will let it run for around 10 mins while the tank is dumping.

I think the additives help some if you are stationary for a long period of time although i use a low cost product from Walmart and something that is formaldehyde free.

I wish my TT had a tank wash!  That would be a very handy thing to have.  I wonder if there is an aftermarket one available I could install?

And my sensors in the black tank don't work worth a darn anymore.  Maybe I just can't get the tank clean enough being stationary as opposed to a good stirring driving down the road.

And as I stated before, I read somewhere that the yeast will do the same thing.  Also it's suppose to work well on home septic tanks and drain fields with regular use.  I didn't think you could go any cheaper than a couple of bucks for a 3-pack of 5 Star Yeast!

denmarc said:
I wish my TT had a tank wash!  That would be a very handy thing to have.  I wonder if there is an aftermarket one available I could install?

And my sensors in the black tank don't work worth a darn anymore.  Maybe I just can't get the tank clean enough being stationary as opposed to a good stirring driving down the road.

And as I stated before, I read somewhere that the yeast will do the same thing.  Also it's suppose to work well on home septic tanks and drain fields with regular use.  I didn't think you could go any cheaper than a couple of bucks for a 3-pack of 5 Star Yeast!

You can buy aftermarket tank washers. Look at camping world or Tweetys online.

Several years ago when we had a 5ver, we bought this tank washer from Camping World and found that is worked great.  When installing , just be sure and use enough silicone sealer around the mounting flange and "do not" overtighten the mounting screws into the flange on the tank.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/tornado-permanent-tank-rinser/4969

RidX in an RV... simply can't get on-board with this one.  The bio process with septic is... well... a long-term cycle, in a cement or huge steel tank, not in a plastic box hung under an RV.  Expecting RidX to clean a small RV plastic tank??? The bi-product left is still going to produce to same readings (albeit false) if that is the problem.  Our current unit is the only one we've ever had with the black flush, works awesome, however the TT's we had always had false readings, just purge and dump, that's all that's necessary with a plastic tank that's hanging under your RV.  Just humble opinion of course, the experts on the forum will have professional advise which may work better.

Yes, septic enzymes take a long time to act and it does indeed take several days for a septic treatment to have any effect in an RV tank. That's why we do not recommend it as a daily regime, but it seems to work if you can leave it soaking for several days in a tank that does not have a full load or organic wastes.

If rinsing and dumping works for you, no need to try something different. But if you have a sensor problem and flush & rinse doesn't do the trick, try a septic treatment like Roebic 57 or 67, or RidX. Doesn't cost much to try.

Recently I met a man in Kerrville Texas who cleans and repairs RV holding tanks. He told me to use only a water softener (calgon) in the holding tanks. The soften water will break down and loosen and breaks down the material that sticks to the sides of the tank. It keeps the tank and the sensors clean. Use a lot of water when you flush and only dump when I have a full tank and risen well when the tank is empty. I've been doing just that for the last six month, and I must say he was right. My tanks are super clean and my sensors work everytime with no problems.

Thanks to Peanutman for the tip on an aftermarket tank wash!  I was unaware and will check into it.

To jje1960:
My situation differs a bit from most on this forum.  I do not tow.  I am a permanent boondocker with no water well or public electric service.  I supply my own.  I also have a small scale septic system similar to a home type septic tank and drainfield system.  Difference being I try to use the TT's black tank as the first stage to break down waste as much as possible before dumping into the in-ground tank.  I usually wait for the black tank to get approx. three quarters full.  Then dump and rinse with a grey tank dump. 

I don't seem to have an odor problem at all.  The DW would tell me if there was!  No chemicals involved so nothing nasty or destructive is released into the ground.  The water table is at least 113 feet below me so I doubt whatever I dumped would make it down there anyway.  I've been told it wouldn't but that is not how I do things.  I won't take that chance.

R1Kirby's advice sounds intriguing.  But in my situation, I can't afford to use as much water as his post seems to imply would be needed to be effective for me.

denmarc said:
Thanks to Peanutman for the tip on an aftermarket tank wash!  I was unaware and will check into it.

To jje1960:
My situation differs a bit from most on this forum.  I do not tow.  I am a permanent boondocker with no water well or public electric service.  I supply my own.  I also have a small scale septic system similar to a home type septic tank and drainfield system.  Difference being I try to use the TT's black tank as the first stage to break down waste as much as possible before dumping into the in-ground tank.  I usually wait for the black tank to get approx. three quarters full.  Then dump and rinse with a grey tank dump. 

I don't seem to have an odor problem at all.  The DW would tell me if there was!  No chemicals involved so nothing nasty or destructive is released into the ground.  The water table is at least 113 feet below me so I doubt whatever I dumped would make it down there anyway.  I've been told it wouldn't but that is not how I do things.  I won't take that chance.

R1Kirby's advice sounds intriguing.  But in my situation, I can't afford to use as much water as his post seems to imply would be needed to be effective for me.
Understand, there ya have it, your not moving the RV and trying to replicate standard septic system.  The ridX treatment seems more reasonable in this situation.  I remember years ago, my Dad had a cabin on some land, his septic system was a 55gal barrel buried in the ground with holes punched in it.  RidX (actually nothing but yeast packets) was his best friend.

jje1960 said:
  I remember years ago, my Dad had a cabin on some land, his septic system was a 55gal barrel buried in the ground with holes punched in it.  RidX (actually nothing but yeast packets) was his best friend.

My set-up is probably very close to what your pop used.  I do have a drainfield.
Sounds like you understand what I have going on.

You are correct in concluding that 1/4 box of the dry is for a whole house system in the backyard. Try the liquid.

Been using RidX for 8 years of full timing in a series of Class As and 5ers (Don't ask. It has to do with my inability to predict the future). I always use a little of the liquid each time I dump tanks, about every 10 days in the current rig. Easier to store and use just a bit (two glugs in hot weather, one in cooler). Never had an odor problem, never killed a campgrounds septic system by dumping in a bunch of formaldehyde or embalming fluid (common in a lot of RV septic products). A few enzymes to start the process can't be all bad.

Back
Top Bottom