RV'ing in Australia??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Renting isn't cheap either. I don't know about Australian rates, but I'll bet a month in country is going to run upwards of $4k for a small van and $9k or more for a larger motorhome. Do some research on what you want to rent and for how long before deciding.

Remember, though, if you ship your rv over there, you also have to ship it back.

I would add to Gary's comments that you need to find out about what roads are available.  I've been to the Outback a couple of times and it didn't seem like there were a lot of roads to wander on.  Around the shorelines there are more but the middle of Australia is one huge red desert!  I saw a lot of "road trains" there but not many RVs.  I'll amend that - no RVs.

ArdraF

If you're planning to tour the Outback, you need something better than a motorhome.  In fact, unless you rent a 4WD based micro-motorhome and agree to be responsible for loss or damage, you'll find the rental companies prohibit taking their vehicles on unpaved roads.

But don't worry - Australia has plenty of paved roads to explore, including routes between all of their major cities including Alice Springs, Darwin and surrounding points of interest.  You can circumnavigate the continent without getting your tires dusty.

Greetings,

Just found a wonderful site that I feel fits in this section for people that might contemplate traveling to Australia and renting a RV. In the driving in Australia section, they have a place you can plug in a date when you would like to pick up an RV. Asks various questions on type and where you will pick up and drop off. A "B" size Van costs about $114 a day that seems to include everything (as insurance). I got the rate by renting out the RV for 60 days. They have bigger rigs for more money.

Even if you don't go but want to read a lot of information about Australia and travel there in one form or the other, it's a good site. I think the website is a must see.

The website is here: http://www.ritas-outback-guide.com/

I believe that a 40 or 60 day rental might be what I am looking for then could finish out my travels by seeing the sites in the more populated areas. I know that beats a boat ride for a month and a half.

CamperAL

We have rented several times in Europe through  www.ideamerge.com but they also rent in Australia. They have contracts with various rental companies.
Excellent service and you can play with the website, put in different dates and immediately see the cost. Find out about low/shoulder/high season. We have been exploring this in Australia, wanting to go there for about 5 weeks, and it seems that May is by far the least expensive, for reasons that Aussies have not been able to explain to me.

It seems to me that I read somewhere that 2 months is the breakeven point for shipping/flying vs renting/flying.

Does this help?

Elly

Elly Dalmaijer said:
We have been exploring this in Australia, wanting to go there for about 5 weeks, and it seems that May is by far the least expensive, for reasons that Aussies have not been able to explain to me.

Elly

Hi Elly and all,

May is the end of Autumn which is from March to May and Winter is from June to August. It might be a bit cool then unless you stayed in the more tropical regions. My understanding is winter can be mild in the outback but at night it can get down right cold. Add wind and you have a miserable combination.

I am sure Ian can explain much better than I can, living there. Yes, apprecate your comments on rental. Best to all!

CamperAL

Yes indeed Camper Al, May is starting to be Winter-ish and June is really on for Winter.

Ely, it will still be reasonably nice in much of the Outback but night will require winter clothes as soon as dusk arrives because the temperature drops suddenly once the warmth of the sun goes away. Along the East Coast heading downwards, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, expect most days to be reasonable unless you get really South. Forget Melbourne, and lower down to Tasmania as Winter will be in with a vengeance. Adelaide and higher shouldn't be too bad but storms are likely at any time. Brisbane and higher up should be rather pleasant weather though again there could be storms blowing through that spoil that nice weather. Generally Perth and higher up shouldn't be too bad but storms are not unknown.

Check out temperatures and much more on http://www.australia.com/

May is the month I am leaving Sydney for my US vacation. Reason for this is that I get to live with out winter. I just love summer.
If you like to experience nice Aussie summer, you should plan your holiday in US winter season.
If you like to visit northern part of Australia, US Autumn season would be best. Western Australia is much easier to plan, there is not such a bad rainy season there. Travel Northern Australia in Summer is some times difficult. Rainy season and lot of roads are not accessible. You can easily get stuck in floods.
Plan your holiday in Australia depending what part of Australia you are visiting. Australia is big continent. Weather is different depends on location like USA.

Also if you have nice RV in US, I maybe will be able to ask somebody here to swap with You. You can use they RV here in Australia and let them use yours in US for exchange.

I am not much good at writing. Sorry. English is my second language.

Cheers

Hi Jan,

Have a wonderful trip to the US and may your experience be a wonderful one with lots of good adventure.

I would plan to visit Australia during the US winter time and prefer the south and western Australia. Especially Alice Springs.

I like the idea of of an RV swap but there are many things to consider before doing this. Insurance is one thing. Also type of RV.

Your English is just fine and I understood your message 100%, thank you for your good effort! If there is anything I can do to help you out for your trip here to the US, please ask.

No problem CamperAL
I can see that you are in Indiana. maybe one day when I will be visiting your state, we can go for cup of coffee. Same apply for you when you will visit Sydney.
Western Australia is great choice. I love this part of Australia.

I will be watching this forum in case you will post more questions. But Ian answered so far all you asked perfectly.

Hi Jan,

I'm always up for a cup of coffee (or beer) with friends so just let me know if you are anywhere close and we'll spend some time chatting about your trip, (or my ideas on an Australian trip). Anything I can help with while you are here let me know!

camperAL said:
Hi Jan,

I'm always up for a cup of coffee (or beer) with friends so just let me know if you are anywhere close and we'll spend some time chatting about your trip, (or my ideas on an Australian trip). Anything I can help with while you are here let me know!

You have a deal AL

Hi, We have just joined. We live in Australia and have hired RVs here,NZ and USA...happy to pass on any tips.
We have started a facebook site

regards Gary

Back
Top Bottom