Working at RV Shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I am looking for any information about how to find out about working at RV shows for vendors.  Has anyone done this, like or dislike? and how and why?  We are kind of thinking that this might be something we'd be interested in instead of workamping at one location.  Since we haven't traveled much yet, this might be a way to get us started and help pay for it too.  TIA, Mikie

You need to get in touch with the vendors about their arrangements. Some years ago we talked at length with a couple that worked for a small vendor, traveling the show circuit and displaying/selling their products (a gas log fireplace). They said the days at the shows were long and tiring, and in the show season you had no time between shows - it was hurry hurry from one to the next. They made good money when sales were good, but not every show was good. They received very little monetary assistance from the manufacturer - pretty much a self employed, commission sales job. They got the product on consignment, though.

Larger companies may employ to people to help staff information booths, e.g. RV insurers, campground networks, etc. RV dealers usually use their sales staff at shows, so you would need to be on their sales team.

Thanks Gary.  I used to be in outside sales and did conventions, so I know how long and tiring they can be.  I would think though, that if you worked for them...you'd get just an 8 hour shift.  We used to have to do the entire weekend on our feet, very tiring!  This was just something that we were tossing around.  Trying to find ways to help pay for fuel and travel... ;D  Mikie

At times, some of the vendors will hire on at the show, help with very low level tasks, such as trash pickup, set-up takke-down tasks, but you are best off hooking up with a vendor or dealer and be ready.  Once you get your feet wet in it it will get easier, but it can be a tough task.

I would think though, that if you worked for them...you'd get just an 8 hour shift.

That was more-or-less my point. If you want a limited shift and hourly pay, you need to be an employee of the vendor, but many [most?] vendor booths at shows aren't run that way. They tend to be small independents with some limited support from a mfgr, and those typically can't afford to pay employees to stand around for several hours to answer question. It's not unusual for booths at winter shows in the south to be staffed by volunteers who are getting their campground fees payed and maybe a meal allowance or some travel expenses to "help out".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom