Red Rock Canyon, Kern County, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Kern county, CA has some interesting things to see. One of which is Red Rock Canyon. We discovered this by accident while driving up Hwy 14. The park is on the western edge of the El Paso Mountain range. It was on a trade route for thousands of years by Native Americans. It was again used by the survivors of the famous Death Valley trek by the Arcaned and Bennett familes with Illinois Jayhawkers. It was also a source of gold prospecting in the 1860's.

The rock formations are very unique and colorful. We enjoyed some very nice flower displays along with the colorful rock formations. If you are ever in the area, it is worth an hour or so to check out the formations and, if during the right time of year, the flowers. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• Red Rock Canyon (Small).jpg
    Red Rock Canyon (Small).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Red Rock Canyon2 (Small).jpg
    Red Rock Canyon2 (Small).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 31
  • Red Rock Canyon3 (Small).jpg
    Red Rock Canyon3 (Small).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 29
Those sure are interesting rock formations and colors Jim.

Ron said:
Looks like an interesting place to visit.  Thanks for sharing Jim.

Ron,

The whole area is interesting. It's fairly convenient to Death Valley and the Giant Sequoias. That's another story. We drove over the back roads to view the Trail of 100 Giants. We drove 78 miles through lush valleys and tall mountains. The road climbed to 5000' along a fast flowing river with some beautiful falls. We saw a sign that said Trail of 100 Giants  10 miles. As we turned the corner, the other sign said ROAD CLOSED!!! What a disappointment! At least the drive was pretty but it was raining most of the way so I didn't get much in the way of photos.

What a disapointment that the road was closed.  I have been to the trail of the 100 ghiants but Sam has not.  That is on our to do list.

Ron said:
What a disapointment that the road was closed.  I have been to the trail of the 100 ghiants but Sam has not.  That is on our to do list.

Ron,

It was disappointing but we will try again sometime. Also need to visit Yosemite. Maybe next trip. ;D

Jim Dick said:
Ron said:
What a disapointment that the road was closed.? I have been to the trail of the 100 ghiants but Sam has not.? That is on our to do list.

Ron,

It was disappointing but we will try again sometime. Also need to visit Yosemite. Maybe next trip. ;D

Sam has never been to Yosemite so it is also on the to do list.

Yosemite is a must see and if you arrive through the tunnel at the west end (I think) the first view of the valley is awesome.  I strongly suggest going there when there are no school vacations and definitely not in summer.

Lorna said:
Yosemite is a must see and if you arrive through the tunnel at the west end (I think) the first view of the valley is awesome.? I strongly suggest going there when there are no school vacations and definitely not in summer.

I have been there several times in the past but Sam hasn't.  After scool starts or before scholl ends is best time as I recall.  Also need to take Sam to see the redwoods.

Jim,

Those are magnificant photos, I especially like the third one with the deep blue background sky.  I can't wait to see your collection in the Fall!

Steve,

The photo ops out here have been fantastic this year. I'll show you all the pictures in the fall but you might get bored. :)

Back
Top Bottom