Mysterious switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarpy

I purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery 36T a number of months ago,  and there is a light switch on the side of the bathroom sink cabinet and for the life of me I can't figure out what it tuirns on or off. Any ideas?

Best bet is that it turns on the electric heat element in the water heater.

If this is a 30A shore power coach, there are some other possibilities, but I won't confuse the issue unless you have a (relatively rare) 30A Discovery.

I think it will be the water pump switch. If it is not that then it might be a lighted handle bar in the bathroom and the light is burned out. That was the problem with my Fleetwood Providence. If it is the water heater, which I doubt, there will be a light next to it that will come on when the switch is on.

Well I can rule out the water pump switch,  as that one is clearly marked.  It is a regular toggle light switch like in your home,  but is dark brown or black in color. It is indeed a 30A RV coach, and I suspect Gary and gwcowgill might be on to something with the water heater switch suggestion.  Actually I didn't know it could be propane plus electric, and have always fired up the water heater from the main control panel next to the fridge.

A 30A coach with two a/c's sometimes has a switch that shifts the power from the front a/c to the rear. It may also have a switch that enables or disable the microwave at the expense of something else, but that is not likely to be in the bathroom.

The water heater electric mode is by far the most likely function of that switch.

I think you must be correct Gary.  The microwave / washerdryer "choice" switch is in the galley, and the dual AC units have the load shedding system on the main panel, so I think the electric water heater is the most obvious choice.  Location within reach of the shower makes a lot of sense also.  Thanks

It COULD have been installed by the PO when he added an electric element to the HW system.  Most 30 A rigs that I've seen were not equipped with the electric heater option from the factory.

My tiffin has a waterpump switch in the head and one in the galley at the switch panel. it is somewhat confusing to operate them both. I think the idea is to make it easier to switch water on for use whilst in the head.

anemic said:
My tiffin has a waterpump switch in the head and one in the galley at the switch panel. it is somewhat confusing to operate them both. I think the idea is to make it easier to switch water on for use whilst in the head.

My Dolphin has a w/p switch in the bath sink area and one on the status panel..first RV I've had that had two...guess that means I'm moving on up to the east side...

anemic said:

My Bounder has three water pump switches, one by the galley sink, one on the bathroom wall, and one in the utility compartment. There's no confusion, though, as each is a momentary-on switch, and a light in each switch comes on when the pump is on, goes out when it's off. Very convenient, and no ambiguity.

Larry N. said:
My Bounder has three water pump switches, one by the galley sink, one on the bathroom wall, and one in the utility compartment. There's no confusion, though, as each is a momentary-on switch, and a light in each switch comes on when the pump is on, goes out when it's off. Very convenient, and no ambiguity.

I like that idea...prevents unneeded operation of the pump...unless showering...
I stopped at a truck-stop, probable in Vermont or New Hampshire..to get a hot shower I had to feed quarters in for hot water...just when the shampoo was mixed in...hot water stopped...of course the coin operated control was out of reach, besides where would I stash the quarters anyway, so it was dash out insert coins and dash in...Nice place very rustic..never again if I can help it..

Icemaker said:
I stopped at a truck-stop, probable in Vermont or New Hampshire..to get a hot shower I had to feed quarters in for hot water...just when the shampoo was mixed in...hot water stopped...of course the coin operated control was out of reach, besides where would I stash the quarters anyway, so it was dash out insert coins and dash in...Nice place very rustic..never again if I can help it..

Be careful of all that "dashing".  You know about You Tube, right?

denmarc said:
Be careful of all that "dashing".  You know about You Tube, right?

Uh actually I don't "know". If I'm doing something that's negatively offending a reader please enlighten me so I can make a informed decision on this issue..
Thanks,

No george, not offensive. He was saying be careful not to get caught on camera. That video might get postedto you tube for all to see.

captsteve said:
No george, not offensive. He was saying be careful not to get caught on camera. That video might get postedto you tube for all to see.

Whew, ::),

Thanks for the reply, Capt. Steve.
Not much for the U-Tube watching thingy. I have seen a few and do understand the "hidden camera" issue.
Even thinking back on that whole situation the Ray Stevens song "The Streak" still runs through my head.  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom