4 Down braking systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duanecatman

Help
I am in the process of shopping for a 4 down towing system for my 2003 Z71 1500 Avalanche 4WD.
At this time I am leaning toward a Roadmaster MX199-6 bracket and a Roadmaster Falcon 2 or Falcon All Terrain tow bar.
At this time both of them can be obtained [as used] for reasonable sums on e-bay .
My questions and confusion arise when I attempt to ascertain EXACTLY WHAT I NEED by way of parts and accessory items to facilitate the use of the braking system on the Avalanche ?? And any idea of what I will be looking at, dollar wise, to have my MX 199-6 bracket and braking system installed would also be appreciated. Its my understanding that it takes approximately 2 hrs to do the tow bracket alone.
Thanks ALL for any help or info you can impart at this time.
Maybe with a little luck we can make it to Quartzite this year

I would recommend the All Terrain over the Falcon II for some added convenience. And make sure the tow bar you get has sufficient weight rating for that Avalanche - it is probably well over 5000 lbs, even empty. You need an 8000-10,000 lb tow bar for that hefty a vehicle.

The time to install base plates (tow brackets) varies by vehicle, but 2-3 hours is the right ball park. Roadmaster estimates 2.5 hours for a 2003 Avalanche 1500.  You will also need towing lights (stop/brake/turn signals), which probably adds another hour of labor and some modest parts cost.

Braking system cost and installation can vary a lot depending on the brand and type selected. Somethign like a Brake Buddy has very little installation, since it is pretty much a portable unit that you "install" each time you use it, whereas an SMI Air Force One or US Gear Unified Tow Brake requires a fair amount of installation.

If your MH has air brakes and if the M&G braking system can be installed on your tow vehicle (it requires about 4" of open space in front of the master cylinder) this is our absolute favorite.  We had it installed in Quartzsite.  Google M&G.

When you hook up, the only thing you have to do is connect the 3 foot air line from the coach to the tow car.  There is nothing to do inside the tow car.  It's worth looking into.  Again Google M&G.

JerryF

There is a lot of personal opinion about tow brakes, but the fact is they all get the job done reasonably well and the differences among them are either personal-oriented or highly technical (or both). Some will say that the portable systems are "too much work to set up each time", while their proponents say it only takes  a minute or two. Some will make a big deal out of progressive or proportional braking techniques, but its hard to find any evidence that the more sophisticated systems have any material benefits when all is said and done.  There will be war stories abut some brand of model that failed and caused damage, but you can say that about almost any RV accessory product.

Some of the top brands are:
US Gear Unified Tow Brake
SMI AIr Force One
Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Brakemaster
M&G

There is an article of toad brake systems in the forum library
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=194:auxiliary-toad-braking-systems&catid=26:towing-and-towables

To add to the "pot" of confusion,  :D you need to make sure your truck will work with the different braking systems you are considering.  We have a 2007 Chevy 4 WD 2500 and our US Gear braking system would NOT work with the braking system in the truck.  Somehow they were incompatable. 

Marsha~

Different systems and their plus/minuses as I have found via research

Ready Brake with Ready Brute tow bar. 
This is a surge brake system, Uses no electricity, Uses no air, Works off the force of the towed pressing against the motor home when you brake, self adjusting, about as simple as it gets, Works on most all vehicles.  Nearly invisible to driver of car (If you look you see a bracket) and easy to hook up.

M&G: invisible to driver of car, NOTHING inside the cab in fact.  Operates off Motor home compressed air..
Air Force one: Nearly invisible (like the 1st) also uses MH air, fits more cars.
NOTE: Both of these are easy to hook up, and can be purchased with an optional air compressor if you do not have air brakes.

Invisi-Brake (Roadmaster) Too new to really have been rated, NO HOOK UP, nearly invisible (same bracket) it works off the tow light system, does eat electricity though.  But recharges the towed battery off the tail light lead.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator,  Like the Invisi brake save it has it's own 2-lead cable you have to plug in, one lead is communication and control, the other battery charge so it keeps the towed charged.  This unit gives the Motor home driver total remote control over the brakes on the towed.  you can disable it, adjust the "Gain" or manually set the towed brakes FROM the motor home.

Box systems, Even Brake, Brake Buddy and the like,  These need to be installed EVERY time you tow, and removed EVERY Time you unhook, major pain in the anatomy in my book, too easy to say "Oh forget it for this short trip" and then wish.... you had not.  I do not recommend these.

There are other systems too but most of them are like one of the above.

Thanks All, as per usual your input was most informative and much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom