50 Amp, 2 AC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

We are curious, this old diesel pusher 1992 has 50 amp service, yet there is a switch to run the front or the back unit AC only, not both together.  That doesn't seem like it should be that way with service like that, anyone know why?

It's an American Eagle.

Carolyn,

The two Ac's work independently from each other. You should  have a thermostat for the Front and one for the back.

chris

If you are saying it has the traditional 30 amp "Front/Rear" switch.. Do you also have an EMS?  It may be that the switch only works when on 30 amps and on 50 both work.

Or it may have been an after-market upgrade to 50 amps.

It's in a cabinet, a regular old front or back switch beside the coach and chassis off and on switches.

We also have a front and back thermostat, I will look, I assumed just for the furnaces.

My electrician will be here this weekend, moving in the motorhome for a couple of weeks, the Winnie.  Going to have him hook up my gas sniffer, as I told hubby should be a snap for someone like him, hubby said yes it will be.

Then hopefully I can test some of the propane appliances out. I also bought a new Carbon Monoxide detector for it.  I am careful about things like that.

Then I have to stop again for a day or 2 and go mow at the duplex, an acre of lawn up there to care for and want it nice for the ladies for Christmas.

And my poor hubby is out in the jungles working and will be alone for Christmas, in Sangatta, Indonesia.  Only a bunch of muslims and an Indian (religion unknown) for company  Poor baby :(

The a/c's should be thermostat controlled as well. Can't imagine why there would be a front/rear switch if you can turn each a/c on/off at will via the t-stat.

Check out those thermostats and let us know if they control the a/c's.

I will drag out the manuals and see if I can find anything on that.

I turned the back thermostat on and felt air blowing from the back floor vents, turned on the front and nothing, but need my gas sniffer fixed first before I know. I looked at the furnaces, looks like a loose wire outside but I'm not electric savy. But I'm guessing they control only the furnace and the roof AC's are just turned on and off at the units.

Also will try and see if the 50 AMP was added.  I've got stacks of manuals, and I mean stacks!

I have a 1991 38 ft Damon Escaper and it is set up the same way. I know when I plug into 30 amp I can only run one or the other. I have been told (not try it yet) if I plug into 50 amp then there is enough power and I can run both. I have 3 switches on the side of the bed to controll the power.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The a/c's should be thermostat controlled as well. Can't imagine why there would be a front/rear switch if you can turn each a/c on/off at will via the t-stat.

Check out those thermostats and let us know if they control the A/Cs.

Gary, FWIW my 94 Dolphin has what look like original t-stats 3 of then 1 for each A/C and 1 for the furnace..
Note I have 30a service and individual switches for front and rear also..on wall w/status panel..I haven't tested them yet, A/Cs, other than the blowers. The furnace t-stat only works the furnace and I suppose both A/C & furnace could run at the same time...weird..

Yes, it is fairly common in older rigs to have separate t-stats for furnace and a/c. But to have no t-stat on an a/c at all? And on a top of the line RV at that? Unusual!

Carolyn: are there control knobs right on the a/c itself, on the ceiling unit? If so, that is the a/c t-stat and other controls.

Back
Top Bottom