Winnebago heat pump not operating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cassrr

OK, I'm stumped.  I bought a 2005 Minnie Winnie Class C this summer with roof mount heat pump.  AC works fine but only on one speed (seems to be high).  Propane furnace works fine.  Problem lies with the heat pump.  No matter what fan speed position I use or whether its AUTO or ON, in the electric heat position the compressor never comes on so no heat.  Temp is set less than 5 degrees from room temperature.  If I place the thermostat in the OFF position with the fan set to ON in low speed the compressor comes on and I get heat.  Won't shut off on its own, but there is heat.  Put the fan in the AUTO position or HIGH speed everything shuts off.  I've replaced wall thermostat and the AC PC control board with no luck.  Anybody ever exerienced this?

Edit by John:  changed message icon to Topic Solved

My first guess would be the thermostat, but since you changed it out it's a little hard to say. 

I think you'll have to look at the led(s) on the control board and signal voltages at the thermostat terminals.  With help from the RVP service manual, you may be able to isolate the problem.

This is RVP website where you can get the service and troubleshooting manuals (you'll need the model number):
http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/tech_info/

Good luck,
Bill

Roof air - I have no troubleshooting experience but like Bill, I would have immediately suspected the thermostat.  Might be time for manufacturer support.

If you move your temperature setting up about 2 degrees, the heat pump controls shut off, and the propane furnace will take over.....at least that is the way our thermostat is set up. (basement air, but the thermostat might be similar)

I have changed out my control board on the RVP basement air unit myself a couple of years ago.

I have the basement heat pump so the model is different than yours and so this info might not apply but imagine they are similar. On mine if the temp delta is any more than 2 or 3 degrees the HP compressor shuts off and the propane comes on. Lower your stat to within 2 deg of room temp and try it. The heat only works on high speed fan, even when set to low. The true low speed is only for AC if I recall.
When the stat is set to off and the fan is turned on it is only for air circulation, your compressor should not be running. If it is I would think something on the pc board or stat is wired incorrect. Check your wiring diagram on the heat pump cover and check it against what you have on the pc board and stat.

Being a Winnebago owner, they have many diagrams and schematics on their website and talking to one of their tech guys is simple.  They have been patient with me and have answered my questions.  Give them a try.

Good luck on your task.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and help.  It appears this Winnie was either wired wrong from the factory or had the PC board replaced at some point and switched two wires from the thermostat!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom