gas mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johhnyz

We have made a down payment on a 2006 Tioga Fleetwood.  Now with the rise again of gas prices,  ???, we are concerned about how much it will cost us to actually TRAVEL in the thing.  It has a Ford V-10 Triton engine, can anybody comment on gas mileage??  Thanks!!!

Slightly better than a boat.  They are not called land yachts for nothing.  Between 6 and 8.

After 9 years of fulltiming in a diesel, fuel cost is only about 25% of the operating cost of the motorhome.  This does not include campground fees or other non-vehicle costs.  When those are added in, fuel is a relatively small portion of the total cost of RVing.  I wouldn't let the price of gas stop you from enjoying a wonderful adventure.

I'm wondering if anyone with a gas buggy has added a Banks Power Kit,  Camping world's tools sugges the Stinger with the otto device for my rig... Would like to know what improvement, if any, it would make in millage

Might be worth it with 3.00/gallon plus

John In Detroit said:
I'm wondering if anyone with a gas buggy has added a Banks Power Kit,  Camping world's tools sugges the Stinger with the otto device for my rig... Would like to know what improvement, if any, it would make in millage

Might be worth it with 3.00/gallon plus

Hi John,

We added a Banks PowerPack and TransCommand to a 1990 Winnebago Elandan powered by Ford 460.  The big difference I've noticed is in power, although the E04D transmission has a big gap between 2nd and 3rd; can only say that gas mileage is no worse since installing the Banks <VBG>.

Ciao,

Doug

Well, get yourself a Flying J RVer's Card and save 1-cent per gallon.  Now if that sounds great, know that if you put 50-gallons in you save only 50-cents.  Yes, fuel cost have gone up a lot, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the RV lifestyle.  To compensate, just stay longer.  Most parks offer a lower rate for weekly stays, and even lower for monthly stays.  Just try to balance your trip cost the best you can and enjoy traveling and scening this beautiful country while you can enjoy it.

R

A dead even comparison. We have a 98 Pace Arrow with a Banks Power Pak since it's Manufacturers date. Ex Neighbor and friend has identical unit less the BAnks Pak and a Satillite dish.  We both took the same trip once, He pulling a small Geo Tracker and us  a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a Lincoln Town Car inside. In the Hilly terrain of Missouri, we out pulled himin the hills waited on him and used less fuel then he did.  Big weight difference on our side as I could pretty much stay with the 350 hp diesels and down even run away from some, while he struggled the entire trip.  Don't recall the exact mpg,but it was about .8 of a gal or more.    Happy motoring.

Sounds like it might be worth it... I think I'm going to ask Banks.  Was planning on installing when warranty ran out, may not wait that long

BTW, Workhorse came out with a new improved limited edition "Super Sport" engine for 2006

Same engine I have, with the equivlent of a banks kit, factory installed

johhnyz said:
We have made a down payment on a 2006 Tioga Fleetwood.? Now with the rise again of gas prices,? ???, we are concerned about how much it will cost us to actually TRAVEL in the thing.? It has a Ford V-10 Triton engine, can anybody comment on gas mileage??? Thanks!!!

My son has this engine in his truck that tows a big big TT.  He can't supply any fuel usage numbers because he says if he knew he'd be upset and he'd want to sell it; so he fills tank as required and goes. BTW- I was thinking of going over to Scotland and Ireland and doing some heavy travel so I checked diesel prices in Ireland this morning $8.09/gallon in one town I looked.

Leo

We had a 24' Coachman class C and got 6-8 miles per gallon....as high as 10 when leaving Colorado and heading downhill.

With gas topping $3 a gallon, we'll still travel but go shorter distances and stay longer in one place. No need to give up the RV lifestyle, just make a few adjustments. When heating costs went skyhigh this winter, we also made adjustments to accomodate the higher costs (open and close curtains based on sunlight, wear sweats and socks, use more blankets).

johhnyz said:
We have made a down payment on a 2006 Tioga Fleetwood.? Now with the rise again of gas prices,? ???, we are concerned about how much it will cost us to actually TRAVEL in the thing.? It has a Ford V-10 Triton engine, can anybody comment on gas mileage??? Thanks!!!

I recently traded a '98 Tioga Class C in on my current rig. It was 29' and sat on a Super Duty 450 chassis and was powered with a V10. Also, I almost always pulled a 3500# Jeep Cherokee. The GVWR was 14,000lbs and I was always very close to that. The rig did not have a slide. My mileage ranged from 6.5 in the mountains with a head wind to 8.0mpg on level freeway with a tail wind.

I have a 2001 Winnebago Chieftain and have yet to take it on a long trip.  It is a 35 footer and my cousin, who owned it before me says it gets between 7 - 8 mpg no matter what conditions since it was new.  I will plan to start out with shorter trips until I get used to it.  I think the fun will be well worth the dollars I spend at the pump to get me there.

I am thinking about putting the banks kit on my 330 Diesel.? The torque curves are dramatically different as there is much more area under the curve after the banks kit is installed.? The peek goes up a couple of hundred footpounds but the area under the curve across the entire RPM band tells the real story.

The only concern is the tranny and if it can handle the extra torque.? I bet it will handle it with spades as I don't plan on power brakeing for a good launch off the line. ;D

Back
Top Bottom