Basement AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loydstuts

What can anyone tell me about basement AC's? We are planning on buying early in 2012 and are trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks in advance

I've had two basement AC's in a couple of Winnebago Vectras, and love them.  Coleman is the mfgr, and I've had no problems with either even though they were older units in 95 and 96 model years.  Neither of the one's I've had can be used as heat pumps, but they run quiet and have been very reliable.  They have two compressors, one that operates when set to 30 amp, and the second one kicks in when set to 50 amp.  So, it's kind of like two AC's in one packkage and set for 30 amp is adequate for most instances.  I like them and particularly appreciate the uncluttered roof which aids in cleaning and leaves solar options wide open.  It does take up some room that could otherwise be used for basement storage, but as in so many things, that's the trade-off.

One manufacturer, Winnebago no longer uses basement air. I too love mine and it works great. However, Winnebago did away with them in the 2012 units to make room for the new emissions equipment that was now required.  They have now gone to roof air as well. I am not sure if other manufactures are still using basement airs or not. 

The many times I have pulled into a so called big rig friendly rv park just to have some low hanging tree branch rub across the top of my rig I sure was thankfull to have basement air! Have had no trouble with it now in 6 years. My Rv is only 35 foot. Larger units may need more A/C than some basement air can handel. Good luck with your choice, there are many good used ones out there. Art

What models are you looking at.  As previously mentioned Winnebago did away with installing them I think starting in 2010.  I have not been able to find any newer Winnie/Itasca then '09 with it.  I am very please with it.  It cools great and the heat pump works fine too.  My only problem is that it is located under my side of the bed and I am a light sleeper.  Then again I have the same problem with the blower from the gas furnace.  Doesn't bother DW so good thing after 27 years of shift work I learned to sleep with ear plugs.  BTW, I heard it was located there because it is nice and quiet when running in the rest of the coach.

Let me know what models you are finding it on.

And Coleman doesn't make them (basement air units) any more either.  I'm not sure if any RV manufacturer is offering basement air in 2012. If buying used, though, you will find planty of Winnebagoes and some National RV models with basement air. Prevost and other bus chassis have it too.

Thanks for all the responses. We haven't completely decided what mfg we will go with, was mostly courious about the reliability of them. From what I've seen here, they seem to be deendable.  For you Winnie fans, we found a Chieftian 39T that we really liked. Just have to wait for a few things to fall in place. Be blessed, and everyone have a Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom