Motoraide/auto heater not in Higher End Models?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

Please tell me that this makes no sense to you guy/gals either!  While reading another post I read where someone with a Sightseer has this wonderful feature which uses their Motoraide water heater system to heat the coach while driving. (At least that's what I got from the post)  So, I got out my manuals and found my Motoraide water heater doc and no where does it say that it does this, so I called my "salesman" and was told that this is where Winnebago decided to shave off some of the costs of their higher end models and so it is no longer a feature in them.  So, I'm thinking this is craziness...you buy a lower end model and get to have a nice warm toasty rig going down the road and I pay quite a few bucks more and have to wrap myself in a blanket!  Sorry, just had to vent on that one!  Please tell me that I'm not crazy?  Thanks much...Mikie

Jim
I am interested in this answer also. I have the cheep Voyage & have been VERY pleased with the motoraid water heater & floor heater. I hope yours has the heaters. Art

Art,
No, we do not have this feature.  I'm sorry to say that I've been told that Winnebago deleted that feature from the higher end models. 

The Motoraid water heater and the motor aided coach heating are separate things, you can one or the other or both.  The water heater feature is part of the water heater while the coach heating is an unrelated heat exchanger and fan.

Ned,
Thanks for explaining that part.  My Salesman never said anything about there being two different things! 

Was not an option on my 05 Horizon either at the time of purchase. So the issue is true but has been like this for a while. I don't understand it either.

Best to go south where.heaters are not needed

Doesn't make sense to me either, but my understanding is that the gas rigs have it while the diesel rigs have only the motoraid water heater feature. If we need heat while driving, we use either the generator and heat pump, or if crazy enough to be in extreme cold weather the LP furnaces.

My dash heater does quite well in the dash area. In cold weather, to get the coach warm with it, I have to get almost naked in the drivers seat.

I can?t say anything for other models but I do know that my 09 Tour does have Motoraid water heater and does not have the motor aided coach heating. While on the way to Winnebago to get the furnace fixed it sure got very cold in there. The outside temperature was 12 degrees which is too cold for the heat pump to work and the dash heat was basically useless.

Wizard46 said:
I have to get almost naked in the drivers seat.

TMI!! (Too much information!)  ;D ;D

I have a 2010 diesel and the motor aid function is still a part of the package. Actually the motor aid feature is to benefit the cooling system of the motor, the hot water in the water heater is just a by product. 

My dash heat does work pretty good also, but I need to crank it up high, both temps and fan speed. 

OK...has anyone tried or succeeded  a retrofit on a DP for a heat system...I see a lot of advantages and so far nil on the disadvantage side..

Funny you should mention this George, since this thread started I've been thinking how I could mount a 12v fan coil unit over the heater return and pipe it to the engine.  Maybe cut it into the duct in one of the basement compartments. Has been added to my list of "things to do".

I have a coolant heater under the bed and the motor aid water heater.  Some where along the line someone changed a valve setting and I had heat from under the bed and the water heater but nothing from the dash heater. 

If you add a heater under the bed, Evans Tempcon makes one for this with a 2 speed fan, be very careful in balancing the coolant flow or you may not like the result.  I am still playing with mine after finally figuring out what was causing the problems.  Balancing the coolant flow is not easy and can be very time consuming.  If you make the changes be sure the valves involved are ACESSABLE for easy adjustment.

Jim Godward said:
I have a coolant heater under the bed and the motor aid water heater.  Some where along the line someone changed a valve setting and I had heat from under the bed and the water heater but nothing from the dash heater. 

If you add a heater under the bed, Evans Tempcon makes one for this with a 2 speed fan, be very careful in balancing the coolant flow or you may not like the result.  I am still playing with mine after finally figuring out what was causing the problems.  Balancing the coolant flow is not easy and can be very time consuming.  If you make the changes be sure the valves involved are ACESSABLE for easy adjustment.

If I do this I will probably use "mono-flow fittings", they're tees w/a restricting orifice in them to control the flow, and prevent that imbalance issue. It's used in baseboard heating systems..my home has this and I've installed many..but never in an automotive application..hope i don't try to reinvent the wheel ..

I never thought of a mono-flow. Wondering if the vibration and movement would upset the stratification, any way I bet I could find a couple of balancing cocks in the shed somewhere.

I have the MotorAid hot water feture on my 2010 SunStar 26P. I am cautious not to drive the vehicle when it is winterized and the hot water heater is drained. Does anyone know if this is a valid concern?

catblaster said:
I never thought of a mono-flow. Wondering if the vibration and movement would upset the stratification, any way I bet I could find a couple of balancing cocks in the shed somewhere.

If you went a true one-pipe mono-flow system...you probably wouldn't need balancing valves...this idea is really getting to me..I'm gonna get a used heater core from a junk yard, assuming I can slip it into the furnace inlet..mono-flows are usually 3/4 in..but if memory serves me they are also made in 1/2 in too...splice between the supply line this core into the feed to the dash, leaving the return as is, and use a relay to cycle the blower on a heat call...on paper, meaning in my mind, it should work like gang-busters..could be a good, not cheap, back-up if you ran out of propane...see..that justified it...now it's a safety issue... ;D

SunStar203 said:
I have the MotorAid hot water feture on my 2010 SunStar 26P. I am cautious not to drive the vehicle when it is winterized and the hot water heater is drained. Does anyone know if this is a valid concern?

My thoughts are that once you drained the heater of fresh water you don't need to worry about the Motoraide side..when your coolant runs thru it there should ba no harm if there's no water on the heater side...if there's no isolation valve on it..I personally would add a valve..on either side of the Motoraide lines...if it went to a space heater too and wasn't teed off than a bypass like your w/h bypass could be used to isolate it, just don't drain the coolant side..not needed..
Sometimes what my mind thinks and what my fingers type only make sense to me..somebody out there correct me if I'm going down the wrong path with this reply..please.

SunStar203 said:

Great question - I think I would run that one by Winnebago.

I don't think there is any need for concern with Motoraid and an empty water heater. The coolant line from the engine simply isn't hot enough to worry about. The empty water heater concern is with the electric heating element - it will burn out if there is no water to cool it. To a lesser degree, the propane flame is also a concern.  But the water from the radiator is only around 210 degrees (if that) and won't bother anything. 

Back
Top Bottom