Motoraide/auto heater not in Higher End Models?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think our 08 gasser has the Motoraide heat exchanger and blower for inside heat mounted in the bay below the passenger seat.  At least when I turn the high/low switch on that's where I can hear a blower running.  The front floor register between the front seats and the one just behind the passenger seat and against the wall both appear to be air intake and all registers from the entry door back are heat output registers.

I have the MotorAid hot water feture on my 2010 SunStar 26P. I am cautious not to drive the vehicle when it is winterized and the hot water heater is drained. Does anyone know if this is a valid concern?
  I wouldn't worry about it at all ...there are so many other things more worthy of worry !!  ;D  The motoraid WH assist consits of a metal tube welded in a semi circle from one side to the other on the outside rear of the water tank. The coolant flows through the tube. As others have indicated, the primary concern with an empty water heater is running the electric heating element and burning it out.

I know my Sightseer has a wonderful warm interior when driving.  The switch is on the dash and the vents are on the back of the bathroom wall in the bedroom.

I'm looking but already I don't think this diesel has one, now that I will really really miss.  I guess you have to run the generator to have heat??

Also I suppose you could run the generator and hook up an electric heater, not sure it would matter which you ran.

But I will miss that function on the Sightseer.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I guess you have to run the generator to have heat??...

You could if you want to run the heat pump.  If it's that cold we'll run the propane furnace.  With the engine in the back, it keeps the rear cabin somewhat a moderate temperature.

I have determined our furnaces will run off the batteries, can you do that runnning down the road and not run the generator.  Will it run the batteries down while driving the rig or will it generate enough energy to keep the batteries charged?

PatrioticStabilist said:
I have determined our furnaces will run off the batteries, can you do that runnning down the road and not run the generator.  Will it run the batteries down while driving the rig or will it generate enough energy to keep the batteries charged?

If my Dolphin charges my batteries off the diesel than it no longer does...had to jump the chassis to the house to start the gen set to charge and to run the furnace while driving PIA ..must be soime rela either bad or not installed ...my old gas Elandan charges the batteries off the engine alternator <sigh>

PatrioticStabilist said:

Your alternator will charge both sets of batteries and will easily run the furnace.

Ned said:
The Motoraid water heater and the motor aided coach heating are separate things, you can one or the other or both.  The water heater feature is part of the water heater while the coach heating is an unrelated heat exchanger and fan.

Ned I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying but the Motoraide system heats both the water in the water heater tank and provides coach heat, usually towards the rear of the coach. There is a switch on the dash that turns on a fan blowing air through a small radiator in the rear of the coach.

The front coach heating does use a separate radiator installed whether the Motoraide system is installed or not. If that is what you were saying please disregard my post.

Yes, both the motor aid water heater and coach heating work by using the hot water from the engine cooling system but it's not necessary that both be installed.  You can have one or the other or both.  It has nothing to do with the dash heater.

^^ Exactly what Ned said ^^

Our engine coolant heats the hot water but we have no Motoraid heater at the rear of the coach (which isn't a problem since the engine keeps the aft cabin at a pleasant temperature in the winter.)

We had a Suncruiser that had both hot water and cabin heat Motoraide. It was a gas coach. Our new Meridian only has hot water. Not quite sure why Winnie makes the distinction.

mrschwarz said:
We had a Suncruiser that had both hot water and cabin heat Motoraide. It was a gas coach. Our new Meridian only has hot water. Not quite sure why Winnie makes the distinction.

I really wish they had put the cabin heat in.  Our dash heater just doesn't cut it!  Thanks for the input. 

Mikie

The diesel pushers don't need any rear cabin heat - they get plenty warm from engine. But a front cabin heater would be a nice feature for cold weather travel (although we try to avoid that).

Our rear engine is very well insulated so the heat exchanger and blower in the bed does help in the cold weather on the road.

4ducksrus said:
I really wish they had put the cabin heat in.  Our dash heater just doesn't cut it!  Thanks for the input. 

Mikie

You might want to have the heater piping system checked.  We finally had ours checked and found there were things like the motor aid on the water heater and our under the bed heater were bypassing too much of the flow and so the dash heater did not get its fair share.  We replumbed the dasheater and restricted the flow to the motor aid devices.  We now have lots of heat from the dash heater and the water still gets hot and so does the rear heater.

We travel in cold here in Montana, temperatures as low a minus degrees F and need all the heat we can get at times.

Back
Top Bottom