Asus Transformer Prime vs iPad2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, Consumer Reports rates the Ipad 2 as the top tablet, and both the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Motorola Xoom ahead of the Asus tablet.

If I had an Apple computer or an iPhone, I would choose the Ipad without hesitation. It's a terrific device and works so smoothly (seamlessly is the buzzword) with other Apple products that there is little reason to consider anything else.  But if you like the more wide open environment of Pc applications and Droid smartphones, then an Android tablet is the right choice.  Functionally they are so similar as to be considered identical except for small details.

Gary said:
Consumer Reports rates the Ipad 2 as the top tablet

Good resource!

What issue contained the reports, Gary.  I'll check it out at the library for all the details.

I'll be giving DW a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Christmas Eve.  Or sooner - her ThinkPad hard drive is near death, it seems.  I think it will be a lot easier for her to browse the web and play mahjong than it is on her laptop.  I was torn between the Kindle Fire (lower cost and she loves her Kindle2), the Galaxy Tab (bigger, more expensive Android device) and the iPad2 (bigger, more expensive Apple device).  When refurbished version of Galaxy Tab popped up on Woot.com for $319, I jumped.  If she doesn't like it, I'll take it and get her an iPad for her birthday.  But I think she's gonna love it.  Not that I haven't been sadly mistaken on such assessments in the past...  :)

Gary RV Roamer said:
FWIW, Consumer Reports rates the Ipad 2 as the top tablet, and both the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Motorola Xoom ahead of the Asus tablet.

Sadly CU like so many other things is money driven.  Who pays the most gets the best ratings.  I gave up trusting their ratings years ago.  I am really surprised they are still in business.

donn said:
Sadly CU like so many other things is money driven.  Who pays the most gets the best ratings.  I gave up trusting their ratings years ago.  I am really surprised they are still in business.

They are not bad in that they provide a lot of information.  You just have to put a few filters on what they say, filter out the money, the greenie slant and a few others modify by what is in other publications and you can get a good answer and pick the best product for you.  It can be a lot of work but it is your money so choose wisely.

FWIW, my son has the Galaxy tablet.  It seems to be fast and easy to maneuver.  I'm just not happy with the fact that you can't upload from the internet since it doesn't run flash on it.  JMO

donn said:
I stopped listening to CU years ago. Almost every product I am interested in buying is for sale at Amazon. I read the user reviews there for opinions of how the product works or doesn't work written by actual users. 

the keypad docking station turns the device into a productivity device (google docs etc) as well as just a consumption device. The fact that when plugged into the dock - it will have about 18 hrs battery is a plus too.
I am getting one if asus ever releases it.
For the others - be aware there is the original tegra 2 chipped transformer and the new tegra 3 transformer prime.

Stephen

Who pays the most gets the best ratings. 

Not wishing to go off-topic, but can you substantiate that accusation? They don't accept advertising or even free sample products to evaluate, so I fail to see how money can be a factor.

But you do have to filter out the "green" perspective and some other cultural biases they have.

Steve - I use the online version, so don't know what magazine issue it was in (if any). The CU online pages are here (membership required, I think):
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/tablets/tablet-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

Stephen44 said:
be aware there is the original tegra 2 chipped transformer and the new tegra 3 transformer prime.

Thank you for pointing that out, Stephen.  There are several online sellers disposing of the older version.

The advance info on the new Asus Eee Transformer Prime looks like a significant and very cool update. If I had to produce content, do a lot of typing, etc., I'd jump at either version of it with the dock/keyboard. (Besides, I'm a sucker for cute, and the screen saver is a cool clear-water level that goes up and down with battery level, while tilting fluidly with the orientation of the tablet.)

Consumer Reports doesn't take advertising and has taken action against companies that attempt to use their ratings in advertising. I, too, use the online version. Very handy. (Grain of salt, of course, as one always has to make up one's own mind about the many factors involved in a significant choice. I also use other reviews, such as those at Amazon.)

Back
Top Bottom