Apps for Ipad2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJohn

We got tired of having several large books to locate campgrounds and to get info on the next exit, fuel etc.. The area around the copilot was always cluttered. So we bought an Ipad2 and installed the apps for campgrounds, next exit, rest stops etc.. We have a mifi so our RV is a rolling hotspot. We have not been on a trip (RV) since we acquired the apps, but they appear to do what we wanted. Does anyone have any suggestions for other useful apps? Thanks.

There are lots of different weather apps, pick your favorite.
Most stores and restaurants have apps that will find the location closest to where you are.
Hairy kids? There's a dog park app.
RV Companion has a lot of goodies including a leveler.
There are winery and farmer's market locators - very useful :)
We geocache and there's a geocaching app so you can find and log caches from the phone.
If you like nature, you can get just about every field guide there is as an app. We downloaded an Audobon app that has flower, bird, mammal, and tree field guides.
Oh Ranger for finding national and state parks. There are lots of others, too.
Many states have apps for state parks, traffic, city maps, etc.

If you can think of it, there's an app for it.
Wendy
San Elijo State Beach

It's a long list, but here is what is on my iPhone...

AllTrails  2.4.5.ipa
Angry Birds 1.3.0.ipa
Arches NP 1.20.ipa
Atomic Web 6.0.1.ipa
B&H Photo 1.1.ipa
Bento 1.1.5.ipa
BorderTimes 1.0.ipa
Camp & RV 4.1.ipa
Camp Where 2.4.5.ipa
Canada 2.1.ipa
Coverage? 2.4.ipa
Digital Locker 2.1.ipa
FGRV 1.5.9.ipa
Find iPhone 1.3.ipa
Google Earth 3.2.0.ipa
GPS Tracker.ipa
Grand Canyon 1.1 1.ipa
GrandCanyon.ipa
iBird Plus 5.0.ipa
iBooks 1.5.ipa
iHandy Level 1.60.0.ipa
Mactracker 1.2.1 1.ipa
myAT&T 2.1.2.ipa
myLite 2.6.ipa
MyRadar 2.2 1.ipa
N. America 8.2.0.836 1.ipa
NationalParks 1.8.ipa
Nikon L&E 2.1.ipa
NPR News 3.3.ipa
Pandora 3.1.16 1.ipa
PBS 246.ipa
Photo Share 1.3.ipa
PS Express 2.0.4.ipa
Public Radio 2.1.5.ipa
QRReader 2.5.ipa
Rain Radar USA.ipa
RL Classic 2.9.9.ipa
RV Parks 1.4.5.ipa
Skype 3.6.97.ipa
SPLnFFT 2.1.ipa
Star Walk 5.6.ipa
TideGraph 2.4.ipa
TPE 2.1.0.ipa
TripTik 1.5.ipa
VelaClock-C 2.1.1.ipa
WRVO 1.0.1.ipa
Yosemite 1.1.0.ipa
Yosemite 1.4.0.ipa

We do not have a National Park app. We have looked but don't find one we like.  Do you have a suggestion?  BTW we have plenty of games on the IPad, seems like there are more games than informative apps.

BigJohn said:
We do not have a National Park app. We have looked but don't find one we like.  Do you have a suggestion?

We use Oh Ranger. It's not great but it's better than any of the other ones we've tried.

The National Parks app I use is http://getipa.info/index.php?content3=games&game=21838.  This is a collection of 3000 photos of our National Parks. If you are looking for general information (maps, trails, etc) the Chimani series (some free, others $3.99 - $4.99) are useful. For photography, the iFotoGuide has apps that cover Yosemite, Arches & the Grand Canyon. It doesn't appear that they are adding more parks, but the ones they cover are useful.

Thanks for the Chimani name. It popped up when I entered "Chimani" but hadn't shown up when I searched "national parks". Another new app to play with :)

I downloaded both apps Oh Ranger and Chimani Natl Parks neither had come up when I searched Natl Parks. Thanks for the headsup. I scimmed them but have not looked in depth. They both look good. Now I'm looking for an app to replace 'Camping With The Corps'. Any help would be appreciated.

All Stays Camp & RV includes COE parks. It's not free but I think it was only $2.99 and it's worth it. It includes ACE (what it calls Army Corps of Engineers), state parks, Woodall's, city and county parks, and more.

Lots of good apps.  A couple not mentioned yet are iBirdPlus and 5-0 Radio Pro.

The iBirdPlus is a full blown birding book.  What I especially like about it is the search engine.  This where you input such things as size, color, markings, location, etc.  Then the search engine brings up 5 to 10 candidate birds to look at.

I used to find carrying a bird book around to be clumsy and time consuming.  As an iPad app, it will enable you to speed up your identification.  But the really cool thing is that it is available as an iPhone app as well.  Makes it easy to carry into the field in your shirt pocket.

The 5-0 Radio Pro turns your iPad or iPhone into a police/fire/airport/ham/public service scanner.  What is really cool is that you are not scanning over the air, but live over the internet.  Delay is about 10 seconds vs. over the air real time.  You narrow down your search by country state and city.  I had it turned on 24/7 this summer at our workamping job in the Colorado Wilderness along the Poudre River.  For years I wondered about ambulances, cop cars, and emergency vehicles going up and down the mountain road.  This app allowed me to dial up the Arapaho Forest link between the county police and the US Rangers.  I always knew what was going on.  At times we were even able to lend assistance.  There is a free version, same name without the Pro.  It has plenty of scannings throughout the world.  But I upgraded to the pro version (Less than $5) because I especially wanted Forest Ranger links.  If I just needed police and air, the free version was more than sufficient.

Many more good apps, but I thought these 2 might be of interest here.

Smoky

We just purchased our iPad2 for many uses.  The 3G function for banking when there is no wifi was one reason. (can turn on month to month) I wanted a better GPS and found COPILOT Live to be very good so far.  It has an RV setting.  We purchased the standard version which does NOT have many of the add-on parts like fuel pricing but you can buy them.  I have routed a couple of trips as both car and RV and the RV routes kept us on more main roads where the car route took us down secondary roads.

It is worth looking at.

Another interesting feature of iBirds + is it will play the calls of each bird.  Handy when you can't see, but can hear them.  It is one of the more expensive app I've purchased, but if you are into identifying birds is is hard to beat. It is huge - at 536MB, you should wait for a WiFi connection to download it.

Took me awhile to find iBirdPlus. Any time I enter "bird" I get 90% Angry Birds kind of stuff. Haven't decided if I want to pay for the iBird app since I already have the Audobon guides and I'm also drooling over the Sibley Guide app. So many apps, so little money and phone space :)

Wendy

I have tried them all; Wendy and I find iBird by far the best.,

Two more apps of interest to RVers:

iExit and Truck Stops USA.

Both apps are great if you are tooling down the Interstate and want to know what is around at the exits.  Similar to Next Exit, the paper book sold at Camping World, but much more convenient to use.  The co-pilot in the passenger seat has an easier time of looking for rest, fueling and eating areas as opposed to turning pages in a book.

Smoky

vermilye said:
Another interesting feature of iBirds + is it will play the calls of each bird.  Handy when you can't see, but can hear them.  It is one of the more expensive app I've purchased, but if you are into identifying birds is is hard to beat. It is huge - at 536MB, you should wait for a WiFi connection to download it.
Which version do you have?
iBird Explorer Plus
iBird Explorer Pro
iBird Backyard Plus
iBird Yard Plus HD
iBird Pro HD

Smoky said:
I have tried them all; Wendy and I find iBird by far the best.,

Two more apps of interest to RVers:

iExit and Truck Stops USA.

Both apps are great if you are tooling down the Interstate and want to know what is around at the exits.  Similar to Next Exit, the paper book sold at Camping World, but much more convenient to use...
Do you have to have an iPad with GPS to use iExit?  I have the WiFi-only iPad2 model without GPS.

Frank I have iBird plus and it does the bird calls.

Allegro Rv I use bot iExit and Truck Stop USA on the iPhone which has built in location.  iExit is available for the iPad but Truck Stops USA is not.  Not sure if the iPad requires a gps or not.

Smoky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom