Amazon's army of retired temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon.com has a large presence at RV rallies, recruiting workers. We looked seriously at taking this on but their locations are just too darn cold in December for us poor snowbirds :)

Wendy

Wendy said:
their locations are just too darn cold in December for us poor snowbirds :)

Wendy, I wondered about that when I saw 2 of the locations were in KY & KS.  Kansas just got dumped on by a blizzard.  That can't be fun if you're in an RV. 

Mike Wagner

I read that Amazon has a distribution center near Phoenix, and they hired some work campers this year.

Paul

I've never seen them recruiting for Phoenix and one of the recruiters told us that you sort of have to take one of the cold places and get experience before they'll give you the plush Phoenix warehouse.

Wendy

The RVers we've talked to who have done the Amazon gig say that it's very hard work, on your feet all day, but the pay is very, very good, especially if you stay the whole season. Several said that they made enough extra $$ in 2 months to last them the whole year. We decided our feet and legs wouldn't hold up to 10 hour days on our feet. Not to mention living in the Sightseer in a cold place.

Wendy
San Elijo State Beach

taoshum said:
AMZN better treat the RV folks well, or we will shop elsewhere!!!!

I dunno.  An online purchase with Amazon gives us our product the  very next day.  We are close enough to Phoenix that the one day thing is consistent.  Amazon also  usually has the item at the lowest price we can find.  I just ordered some eye make up remover lotion.  It was only $6 and came the next day.  I can't afford to drive  to the store, park and all,  for that kind of service.  They also give us free shipping because  The Amazon Prime club.  Whoo hooo

Merry Christmas to all.
BB

Betty Brewer said:
I dunno.  An online purchase with Amazon gives us our product the  very next day.  We are close enough to Phoenix that the one day thing is consistent.  Amazon also  usually has the item at the lowest price we can find.  I just ordered some eye make up remover lotion.  It was only $6 and came the next day.  I can't afford to drive  to the store, park and all,  for that kind of service.  They also give us free shipping because  The Amazon Prime club.  Whoo hooo

Merry Christmas to all.
BB

I was kinda kidding...  AMZN even offered to bid against the brick/mortar stores via cell phone quotes with a standing offer of $5 less than the price in the store.  Bezos is tough...  and I thought Kindle was a combination of Kind and Gentle.

and I thought Kindle was a combination of Kind and Gentle

Nope, it's Kindle as in start a fire, and it certainly has done that :)

There was a story about this on All Things Considered (NPR) today.

A link to the streaming story:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=144149775&m=144151504

It's a short listen.

My baby brother worked on a Christmas tree farm one season and came home very day telling stories about watching the kids pick out a tree and he said he "felt a little closer to Christmas" that year than ever before.  I wonder if the seasonal Amazon workers get the same feeling or if their knees just hurt!

I know folks that have done the Amazon thing.  Some loved it others said it was too much work for old folks.  The other negative I head was in KS they had them camped at city park which ended up a bit of a quagmire that year.  Muddy, hose run everywhere, and pumping trucks making rounds.  Oh, and cold. 

Granted it is cold here and was cold at Grand Canyon, but I prefer my gig.

Where in Kansas is the Amazon opportunity for 2012.  We have Grandkids up there and we
will likely be there for Christmas.  Up side is I can plug into my Son In Law's 50 amp service.  8) 8) 8)

Might be something I would be interested in, since I will likely be there anyway.

TheBigLarry said:
Where in Kansas is the Amazon opportunity for 2012.  We have Grandkids up there and we
will likely be there for Christmas.  Up side is I can plug into my Son In Law's 50 amp service.  8) 8) 8)

Might be something I would be interested in, since I will likely be there anyway.

Amazon's distribution center in Kansas is in Coffeyville, which is in south eastern Kansas.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom