Amazon's army of retired temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill, I met your NH friend that works Lazy Days in FL and Tucson at LD yesterday. He gave me the tour of the campground including the dog park and back trail in an elec cart. He didn't get to work Amazon this year as LD called and wanted him and his daughter on 11/1. She's working in the CG.

I'am look forward to staying there for several nights.

Hey Bill, Janet and Richard here!  We tried the Amazon thing in KY this fall and lasted 2 weeks.  When we started the 10 hr shift on our feet with a breakroom (the only place to get off our feet)  nearly 1/4 mile away it was too much for us and we left.  Saw lots of people older than us, able to handle it OK though.  Guess we are just getting soft working for the book store last summer.  Have a good year.  Hope the new position goes well.  We are in Quartzsite for the winter and haven't decided what to do this summer.

Hey!  That Amazon thig I think requires Amazons to handle the job.  Good to see you here!  Winter here at Old Faothful is great, having fun getting it done.  Enjoy Q, and join in with the folks here when the rally happens, you will love it.

Been there....done that.  Gonna do it again this year.  It's work no doubt, lots of time on your feet and moving a a good pace, BUT...you get breaks, it's only four days a week,  it's only three months, and it keeps you in shape people.  Surely you can work hard for three months for the money they pay? plus they pay you're RV rent, you get employee discount on anything Amazon sells, AND....you get a bonus if you complete the enitre season.  None of the three locatations of Fernley NV (Reno), KS, and KY get super cold (normally) until after Christmas and we'll be back in Yuma after that.  Buck up cowboys and cowgirls.....your're retired....what else you got to do?  Don't forget tho...drug testing and a minor physical to make sure you're not going to vapor lock on them.

Vapor lock.  That's funny.  I like that.  Since I'm newly retired and new RVer to boot, the Chattanooga location or Kentucky has some appeal.  Especially earning enough to pay expenses the rest of the year.  I'm going to check this out.  Thanks.  Most interesting thread.

It took me a while to find this website, so, here it is.
http://www.workamper.com/featuredEmployersFolders/153589/

This is where one can apply for Amazon's CamperForce program, for workamping at the 3 usual locations, Fernley, NV, Coffeyville, KS, and Campbellsville, KY.

I met a couple who worked at Amazon last winter. He loved it, she hated it. He grabbed all the overtime and made a bloody fortune.  She did the minimal hours and hated it. But he was a pretty active person, she was more the sit around and whine type. He wanted to go back this year, I have no idea if they will stay married as she was fighting not to go back and he was saying it was such a good gig.

They said Amazon was a bit shocked that after the first week, many workampers left and they were scrambling to find replacements. According to this couple, some just left without even telling Amazon, just packed up the RV and drove away in the night.

I had all their literature and looked into it, the jobs were spelled out pretty thoroughly, I knew I couldn't keep up in my condition so I didn't apply, but I loved the idea of making enough to travel the rest of the year. They used to offer part time work, which I applied for, at one point, but they told me by phone they weren't offering anymore part time work due to the high rate of deserters and they seriously wanted couples, not singles, to maximize their RV lots.

One of the couples working for me this summer is heading to NV to Amazon. 

It is not for everyone as evidenced by the previous posted couple, but if you can take it, I guess it can be worth it.

DearMissMermaid said:
For weight loss plan... Volunteer.gov shows some trailblazing workamping in Florida

Be aware of the humidity along with the heat.  May through September is a whole different ball game from the rest of the year.

Back
Top Bottom