New Mexico - Highway 60 Socorro to Phoenix - Seeking information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THEBigLarry

I plan to drive US Highway 60 from Socorro NM to Apache Jct. AZ in January.  I have been on some of this road in NM and it's
good enough.  I look at the map for the portion in AZ and the line on my map is quite 'squiggly' from the Show Low area down
to near Phoenix. 

Has anyone been over this road in an RV?  We're 33' Winnebago and I want to avoid driving it on a road course race track if
I can.  The Interstate Route in from Flagstaff to Phoenix has such huge hills, I thought I would try an alternate route, plus I want
to have the alternate in case of bad weather up north.

I would avoid 60 south of Show Low, AZ. The decent and climb out of the Salt River crossing isn't fun in  motorhome.

In Show Low take 260 to Payson then 87 south to Mesa. 87 is four lane.

If your destination is  Apache Jct, the take the 202 back west to Apache Jct.

ken

Two years ago we drove from Holbrook to Apache Junction.  We left show Low just before dark, and by time we got to the Salt River Canyon is was really dark.  This is not a route I would recommend.

Paul

While 60 is a pretty decent road, going through the Salt River Canyon is a bit like driving into the Grand Canyon.  Either way, there is a long twisting descent down to the Salt River  and a long twisting climb back out.  Take the route Ken suggested.  You will still have some mountain driving but the it is four lane on 87 and a much better road.

We've done the Salt River Canyon climb in and out of the canyon a couple or more times, despite being warned not to do it.  (the last time about 4 years ago when we met Jim & Tarry Johnson at Springerville.)  We don't remember it being any more of a problem than the the Escalante Staircase in Utah.  There is a third lane for slow drivers going up, and we just took our time.  It is a gorgeous drive and there were several pull-outs as I remember it.  Near the Salt River Canyon are a bunch of fairly steep switchbacks, but we took our time and had no problems.  You can make your own decisions.  We've been on a few roads around the country, that we really shouldn't have been, but neither of us remember Hwy 60 being one of them, nor did we make note of it on our maps.  I guess you should  know your own comfort zone for squiggly roads, so you're on your own with this decision.  ;D ;D  However, I would echo Paul in that it is not a road for night driving.  You really need to know or be able to see your way on it.

Daisy

P. s.  We were driving a 38 ft. mh with Jeep tow.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I think the Road TO Phoenix will be as suggested via 87 South. 
The Road TO Home, will be via Salt River Canyon.  We will drive the road in our Toad while we
explore the area and see if we want to tackle it in the RV on the way out in March.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

Larry & Loretta

Back
Top Bottom