water tank continues to fill when value shut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phelpo

help, my 2004 Vectra water tank con't to fill even with the city water value turned to house.
I have ordered a new value, and have changed the hose to the other water inlet, this
has slowed the filling.  Have I missed anything?  Someone told me it might be the pump,
if so can it be rebuilt?

Phelpo

Edit by John:  Changed message icon to Topic Solved

I would suspect the valve first. If it is the pump, it might be re-buildable, but could also be replaced fairly easily depending on how accessible it is. Replacing mine is a 5-10 minute job.

There should be a check valve at the pump's outlet that is replaceable without changing the entire pump.  It's purpose would be to prevent just what you are experiencing.  But, if this has just started, it could be there is just some debris in the check valve and it might clear if you operate off your tank for a while (turn the city water off at the source).  Open several faucets at once to make sure the flow is maximum from the pump when attempting to clear the valve.

You have two separate city water inlets that both fill the tank?  Seems odd.  When you have two, one of them is usually a direct gravity feed and does not supply the house water system at all - just fills the tank.

If one of your inlets passes water through the pump, then yes it has a bad check valve in the pump. That would also make the pump run frequently, e.g. run shut-off, then soon run again even with no faucets open. They can be rebuilt, or the head can be repalced while keeping the old motor. Parts are obtained from the pump manufacturer through a dealer

Because we have the automatic host reel we also have two fresh water inlets (the hose and the separate fitting on the panel) plus the gravity feed on our Vectra.

First, yes there is a check valve in the 2.8 gph Shurflow pump.  Your operators manual even says that on page 7-4.
2nd, yes the 2.8 gph Shurflow pump can be rebuilt.  Repair kits for that pump can be found on the internet.  They are also listed on page 112 of the Winnebago RV Parts and Accessories Catalog: Winnebago Catalog
098607-01-705 is the Winnebago P/N for the Check Valve Repair kit though I recommend you look on-line for Shurflow repair parts first.

If you need them:
Parts Diagram
Plumbing diagram

Access to most other diagrams

The city water can be feeding back to the storage tank from either the "City Fill / Storage Tank Fill" valve or the water pump itself.  Those are the only 2 paths back to the tank.

Dave

took the fill water tank hose off the value, and yes it con't to leak.  Capped it off and have
ordered a replacement value, and I'm still waiting for it.......... :'(

well the hits keep on coming.......new value now is leaking, filling water tank.....:(:(:(....so I'm thinking
the new/old value was sitting on a shelf for a long time in the Florida heat.  Any ideas how to
fix this value?

Phelpo

phelpo said:
well the hits keep on coming.......new value now is leaking, filling water tank.....:(:(:(....so I'm thinking
the new/old value was sitting on a shelf for a long time in the Florida heat.  Any ideas how to
fix this value?

Phelpo

Throw it through the store window....seriously is the water pressure too high...I have a reducing pressure regulator so all I het on my coach is 40-50 lbs no matter what the CG is supply is.

Let's see... you replaced the valve and it still leaks. My first thought would be that the valve was NOT the problem. I realize you said the leakage stopped when you installed the new valve, but now I would begin to wonder if that was truly so. Or if something else is causing the valve to leak.  While it is possible that you got a defective valve that failed in the very same way as the one it repalced, that is not the most likely scenario.

Have you measured the actual city water pressure?  I think you need to know what the pressure is so you're not looking for an internal  problem when it maybe outside.  Get a water pressure gauge if you don't have one....it's always good to know when you move to a new campsite. 

If you're using a pressure reducer, maybe it's leaking static pressure through because it has some calcium build up. 

Like I responded on the other forum, you can blow out the valve with too much pressure....even if it's new!

More good luck to ya,
Bill

Bill, measured the pressure at 48 lbs,  I have capped off that line to the tank and when I
opened up the hose value, the strainer before the water pump started to drip!!!!! :-[

so I left it to drip, and will remove the top of the strainer when it warms up in
north Florida!!!  maybe the new pressure caused the seal to lossen.....but the hits
keep on coming....

Phelpo

Back
Top Bottom