Portable Gas Grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joezeppy said:
We have the Coleman Roadtrip. It's "ok". It cooks very well and I love the interchangeable grates/grills but I find it hard to keep clean and the side shelves are useless.
We find the side shelves anything other than useless, can leave them in or out easily, as for cleaning, heck, hosing the thing off and blowing off the water with the leaf blower works fine.  Just our way of doing it.  Can tell you that nothing has ever come off this grill burned and have cooked for two and twenty with it!  Love the flat plate for the bacon, that's a huge plus.  Fit's nicely in our 5Ver compartment with the cover and wheels.

I agree -- our Road Trip is sturdy and does a fine job of cooking, and the only thing ever burned was my fault, not that of the grill (the heat is adjustable). The side shelves are very handy for utensils, serving plates and other things, and especially so when there's no picnic (or other) table in the area. It even stores well in one basement compartment of our Bounder, along with folding chairs, mats, etc. Cleaning is no more difficult than other grills I've used, and easier than some. Granted that it's larger than some, but I use it for Scouting events, as well as just for the two of us -- versatile -- and only takes slightly more room than some tiny ones that wouldn't be as versatile.

In other words, it works well for us.

Scott-0168 said:
The Weber's on line I saw were $100.00. Where do I find $50.00?

Scott  :)

Home depot web site offers them at $59.00.  You can usually find them on sale for ten dollars less than that.

Wow What great replies on this subject, which is a good subject to discuss, even though a gas grills are not that expensive compared to some other RV gadgets and what nots. For me it's more for purpose and convenience. Now all I need to do is decide is it going to be the Weber Q100  or the Coleman Roadtrip. Have to do a side by side comparison and then ask the head chef in charge what she wants.  Thanks to everyone.

We had the Roadtrip and changed to Weber Q 200 and the Weber is far better in our opinion.

Wandering said:
Conquest2011,

Save the time comparing and just ask the "head chef in charge" what to get.

I with ya Wandering, she likes the Q100 and now "WorkingtoRV" got me looking at the Q200, but I am kind of fond of the Coleman Roadtrip. However, the head chef in charge Mrs Conquest2011 has the final say in this grand mind boggling explosive purchase ours.  I letya all know what she decide on. Thanks all

In our coach, indoor cooking belongs to ME but once the food goes out the door for cooking, it's HIS job and he gets to choose and he chooses the Weber Q.....of course, I also think it's the best grill we've ever had :)

Wendy

Wendy said:
In our coach, indoor cooking belongs to ME but once the food goes out the door for cooking, it's HIS job and he gets to choose and he chooses the Weber Q.....of course, I also think it's the best grill we've ever had :)

Wendy

You know Wendy I can go to the store buy the groceries and even kill what we need, when it comes to passing it over a flame; well lets say the cooking is better off in the better hands of my wife. She is gourmet chef and I just learned how to hard boil eggs.

The Weber Go Anywhere Gas Grill is $59.95 on Amazon (free shipping) and several stores too. Not the same quality grill as a Baby Q, but lighter and much less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1520-Propane-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALK

We use a Coleman Perfect Flo portable because it is slim and light and does a heck of a job on steaks and chops, but if you often cook for several people you may want something larger.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004121&categoryid=27110&brand=#.TviBIFbntj0

The choice of an RV grill is mostly about space & weight versus grilling capacity. Well, price too.  Those $30 Sunbeam gas grills that Walmarts and Targets usually have in the early summer are hard to beat for the price, but figure on buying one every couple of years. For around $60 you can get a decent quality grill for two people, and starting around $100 you can get a decent grill that will cook conveniently for 4 or more. Lowes and Depot both have a fair selection of sizes and prices.

gwcowgill said:
A Coleman Roadtrip showed up under the tree today so now I have to go and try it out. All thanks to the grandchildren!
You are going to be very happy!  If you enjoy cooking bacon or sausage (patties) on the grill, the flat grittle extra is a great investment.  We are super happy with ours, the heavy duty case (that actually has wheels) was also a great investment.  When we use it everyday, after a week or so it needs a good cleaning while on vacation, just use soap, rubber gloves and a hose, then use the leaf blower to dry the moisture.  Our unit has a hose plug-in, so just hook-up to the unit without bottle and ready.  Hope you have as great an experience with yours as we do.

Don't forget there are lots of goodies you can get to add to your grill. My favorite is a grill Wok that works great for veggies, shrimp, and other small things that would fall thru the grill. There's also a Beer-Butt Chicken holder but we find that the beer can works just fine. Long handle tongs are a must have. And some nice long skewers for kabobs. Cedar planks for salmon. And all of our accessories fit nicely in the Weber Q.

Wendy

Price!!!!! That is all we hear.  You get what you pay for.  Buy American keep the jobs in the US.  Webber is made in the USA.  I don't know where Coleman is manufactured.

Those $30 Sunbeam gas grills that Walmarts and Targets usually have in the early summer are hard to beat for the price ....

I bought one of those some (8?) years ago, but it wouldn't stay lit in the slightest of breeze, and I eventually gave it to the kids. Bought the Weber Go Anywhere, identical to the one we've had on the boat for many years, for $49.99. Can't be beat for the price. Both low-price Webers have done yoeman service.

Used the $29.99 grills for years (carry both charcoal and gas), and had to replace them every other year. But they were small, perfect size for me and the wife. Last year I received a Weber Q gas grill as a gift for years of service through my work. Love it! Very good quality. Plus when removing it from the box one leg/brace was broke (not metal, very hard plastic..thought it was metal until I saw the break). Called customer service, and 1 week later I had a new part no questions asked. Since then it has worked flawlessly, and stores without taking much more room than the cheapo's.

Also a year ago for Christmas the wife got me a Lodge table top charcoal grill, 100% cast iron! This thing is about the same size as the weber, only 50lbs heavier. hehehehe... anyway it should out last me, the son, and the grandson. So it looks like I will no longer be in the grill market again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom