Refridgerator freezing. new seals cost $250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devarona

I am back seeking help with costs. My door seals on both sides are broken in places and everything freezes up. The doors are discontinued and the seals from the factory (Dometic) cost $250. I heard that replacing the seals never really works? Is that true? Also is there a cheaper seal i can get to replace the factory seals?

Thanks & Happy Holidays

I have an appliance tech that works for me and his fix for broken seals in RTV silicone. You can mold it to replace the broken parts. If the fridge is freezing, thermostat might not be working correctly.

I read on another forum where someone claimed to have saved a little more than half that price by getting them through Camping World. You might want to check them out.

Bad seals usually makes the fridge frost/ice up badly (because of moisture entering through the gaps), but usually doesn't cause tings to freeze. More often the opposite. I'm thinking you have more problems than just the door seals.

Are the seals flattened, or just cracked through in places? 

The actual food and items in the fridge do not freeze. Ice builds up in the back of the fridge and on the freezer side. The door seals are flatten and torn pieces are missing at the bottom.  the magnetic strip is exposed.

Also check on line Sears parts. They can get parts for just about anything. Need make and model.

I'm under the impression that if you go to a small appliance parts store w/a example of your gasket material, in fairly good condition, the odds of them having something close, and will work, on a roll they could measure and sell you is good..You can remove the old gasket and clean the surface glue on the replacement w/the corners precut and silicone the corners after installation and drying in place...use tape to hold the new gasket in place and the door needs to be room temp and dry ...don't rush it....Ive done this on more than one residential refrigerator ...don't see why irt wont work on a camper one..good luck.
And yes the coils freezing and icing is because the broken seals let in too much moisture, from the air, in and it collects on the cold coils...

You can rest assured that neither Norcold nor Dometic makes their own seals, so that material is made by someone else and available somewhere. With a bit of ingenuity you could fit the bulk material to your fridge.

You can Google seals and similar terms and likely find it.  Here are a couple places that might have what you need.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Refrigerator-Gasket-Or-Seal-Parts
http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_362
http://www.ehow.com/how_4800793_fix-refrigerator-door-seal.html

I had a bad seal on our home freezer.  I cleaned the ice off and dryed the surfaces.  Then I taped a piece of handiwrap to the refregerator side.  Then I used a silicon caulk on the seal of the door.  I closed the freezer door squeezing the silicon between the door seal and the handiwrap and left it for two days.  I then opened the door and removed the handiwrap.  Now the door seals fine and we no longer have the ice build up inside the freezer door.

That is a great trick. I have a 4 inch tear in the seal. Do you think it will seal it up. Wont the silicone spill out of the sides of the seal?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom