realistic cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_k

I have just started the process of looking for an MH.  My wife and I have twin boys that are almost 3 and a newborn baby girl.  We are looking for something to get us started to see how much we like RV camping for weekend getaways as well as a better way to travel to see family about 900 miles away over a couple weeks once a year.  I know there is a lot that goes into it but what would be the least one could reasonable expect to spend on something to fill our needs?  We have been looking into rent for our long trip coming in August, but I am wondering if putting the $2K that we are getting quoted from a number of places into buying something might be a better move in the long run.  Thoughts??

Thx 

Hi Mark and welcome to our forum.

$2K is a lot of money to cough up for a "trial run" (renting), but that could save you a lot of money in the long run. Many folks have bought an RV and later found that it wasn't what wanted and they took a bath when they traded it in for something else.

Maybe you could try a weekend rental (should be a lot less than $2K) and see if you like RVing. We have friends who bought an old used class C for $1000, took it out for a weekend trip and decided they hated it....couldn't shower every day. They were lucky enough to be able to resell the MH quickly for the same $1000 they paid for it. But they might just as easily have discovered they loved it.

Hi Mark,

We always make an effort to help people in any way we can, but to do so, maybe you could tell us a little more about your camping/outdoors living experience. Some people think of 'roughing it' as having nothing more than a canvas tent over their heads, while others may think of it as having only a chef and a hair dresser or two at their beck and call! ;D  It's all a matter of personal taste and preference.

Before you lay down a lot of hard-earned dollars on something you may not be happy with, I suggest you rent a small to medium size class "C" or "A" for a weekend (or week, if you're so inclined) and see how well it fits your needs and wants. Get a feel for the living arrangements, appliances, bathroom facilities. storage space, etc., ahead of time; then look at lots of different styles/models, new/used, that are available. There are many to choose from! 

If you have specific questions about something, ask them, preferably before you buy. There are many experienced RV'ers here that are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences with you. :)

Used motorhomes go from a few thousand dollars and go on up to a quarter million or more. I'ts hard for somoeone else to guess what your expectations are for space, amenities and such, but I would think you could get a used Class C with room for you and your kids for around $20k-40k and a new one for $80k.

A van and a trailer would make a lot more economic sense for a family that travels only occasionally.

Very fair... ?I grew up going on trip with my Grandparents and their TT so I have had a bit of exposure. ?Additionally both my wife and I used to do a fair amount of tent camping (some very primative.) ?So we have been talking about getting a MH for quite a while as a way to get the kids exposed to the outdoors at a pretty early age. ?Additionally, we live in Charlotte where it seems everything is a good weekend trip away (ie the mountians as well as the coast)

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel as to what price most would expect is a reasonable point to spend on a first RV for our family. ?In looking online, it seems like there is a fair amount avalable at about the $20k level for something. ?Is that the low end for a modern MH or do you believe that you can find one below that price?

thx

I would say it depends somewhat on your risk tolerance, too.  We just returned from our maiden voyage in our newly-purchased Class C, a 3000 mi round trip to Florida. We paid $5000 for a 1983 22' Minnie Winnie, and I spent another $400 on various parts ( shocks, alternator, battery), took along spares, and had no problems.
I'm probably lucky.  But, I 'helped' my luck by buying carefully and then checking thoroughly.  With this approach, though, a breakdown is a possibility, and that has to be factored in.  I guess I would say it this way - if you and your wife's personality is such that a breakdown wouldn't necessarily be seen as a disaster, you have the opportunity to save significant money by carefully choosing an older, more worn unit, then spending a little time and money before you set sail.
If the idea of a failure on the road is a nightmare, then spend the money.  It won't guarantee you freedom from trouble, but greatly improves your odds.

I will say that the older Class C may be noisier and rougher-riding than you envision, so I think some type of extended test is a very good idea. 

$20k is fairly typical for a starter, but older (1980's) units are available for quite a bit less. It's mostly a matter of age and length.

You can check the NADA book for Rv prices at www.nadaguides.com. The NADA book generally goes back 10 years on Rvs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom