Verizon 4G LTE Down 12/28/2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is it with Verizon? Why are they having so many problems akk of a sudden?

Blame Santa. It's all those darned customers; If they'd stay off the network for a while, everything would be fine  ;)

BruceinFL said:
What is it with Verizon? Why are they having so many problems akk of a sudden?
They have spent the last year upgrading about 100 major cities from 3G to 4G. Typical growing pains. Verizon is still the best.

I unsuspended my VZ service yesterday and 4G was dead. Found out about the outage and ran 3g in the meantime for a few updates needed since suspending service last September. The VZAM update failed to update the 4G modem driver and the firmware update failed. Called again this morning and spent an hour with tech support trying to get the firmware updated. While waiting for reboots, reinstalls, etc., found out that all of the Christmas presents of new phones and modems caused an unexpected/unplanned for surge in new activations which overloaded the system and brought down all LTE service. 4G was running this morning but the firmware upgrade (apparently only the Novatell USB551L is affected) continues to crash. 4G works OK but not with new firmware.

I agree that Verizon is the least bad of the providers though I get my service with them through Millenicom.com which is less expensive and gets me a higher FAP cap. Unfortunately Verizon used its money to upgrade 3G to 4G in major cities but left the rest of the country with an unfinished 3G implementation. Many towers still only have 1xRTT transmitters.

Very seldom do we stay in large cities where 4G is available and it is not likely to be available where I live for several more years at best so for now I have gone back to using a 3G only modem. I upgraded to a 4G modem but it could not maintain a stable connection to my 3G only tower. The 4G modem would kill the 3G connection and try to establish a 4G connection and I would lose my session. According to Verizon tech support it is a known problem with no fixes at this time.

According to Verizon tech support it is a known problem with no fixes at this time.

Actually once fix that they have recommended is to adjust the settings to EVDO only. That locks the modem into 3G mode.

elkhornsun said:
Unfortunately Verizon used its money to upgrade 3G to 4G in major cities but left the rest of the country with an unfinished 3G implementation.
Verizon is upgrading the entire network. They just can't do the entire network at once so the most populated areas get coverage first. If you are out in the boondocks and Verizon's coverage is poor just remember, with AT&T, Sprint or Clear you probably wouldn't get a signal at all.

There is no incentive to expand the 3G network as the future is 4G.  Verizon is expanding their 4G network more rapidly than anyone ever expected.  The most recent expansion included the popular winter Texan area around Pharr and McAllen, just in time for our trip down there tomorrow :)

Ned,

I hope the 4G signal is working WELL.  You'll love 4G if it is.

JerryF

Ned:
Verizon is expanding their 4G network more rapidly than anyone ever expected.

They are even putting a 4G tower in little ole Kernville, CA population 1800.  They broke ground on the tower and hopefully it will be up and running by the time we get home.

Marsha~

I've had a taste of 4G in San Antonio so am looking forward to using it.  I have written confirmation from Verizon that I can activate the hotspot feature and share my unlimited data on the Droid.  Now if we could only get 4G in Spring Branch and Quartzsite :)

Ned,

I didn't think that version ever offered unlimited data on any 4G device. I haven't changed because I didn't want to give up my unlimited data on the Droid (original) or my USB modem.

ken

Ned:

I was in the corporate store in Surprise last month and was told I will have unlimited 4G on a new phone but the hotspot would be limited to 2GB a month. :-\

Ken, I had unlimited data on my original Droid and that plan was carried over to my Droid Bionic.

Jeff, I have an email from Verizon that says my hotspot data will be unlimited.  Here's what the said:

"The Mobile Hotspot feature for a 4G device with an unlimited data package is $30 per month. This will provide you with unlimited data usage through the Mobile Hotspot feature. "

My "new every two" is March 6th. I'll bring  it up again with them then.

Ned,

I 'll have to go to Verizon and see if I can get that deal.
I have the original Droid with unlimited data.

Thanks

ken

Ken, you probably won't get the same feature as the original Droid isn't a 4G phone,.

Ken, when you upgrade the phone your unlimited data plan should stay.  Then you could get the hotspot feature

Back
Top Bottom