school bus to camper conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thewallfan

Okay im new to all of this. I would like to know about what size of bus and usable floor space of a good bus to use. Im just looking to put in a fridge and some beds and stuff, im not going full camper. Im looking at blue bird conventional or transits, are these good? any help would be good, thanks!

P.S. I live in ohio. Would i need a CDL to drive it? Also i would like to know if i can keep the yellow paint and flashing lights.

Yellow paint and flashing lights probably have to go before you can get it licensed.  It is that way in MT so you couldn't drive it here even if you don't have to repaint where you live. Only licensed school buses are allowed that combination here.

You normally won't need a cdl if it is registered as a recreational vehicle but check with your DMV. School buses are not normally designed for sustained highway cruising, the rear axle gearing will need to be changed. Also be aware that your camper will be turned away from many campgrounds.

I would also advise that you arrange insurance in advance.  Over my years in the business I always had trouble insuring any school bus. Most companies will not cover "Nonprofessional Conversions".  Many of my customers wanted to use one for hunting and fishing but could not get insurance or get it at a reasonable price.

if i do decide to convert one, it mainly used for hunting, fishing and primitive camping. Do you think that state parks would let one camp (ive seen weirder things than a school bus at this one park)? My cousin is an insurance agent for farmers so mabey he can get me some thing.

None of the state parks had an limitation except for length in specific spots, here in Washington. I think the problem is with private campgrounds.

I converted a 54 passenger and it worked great.  In Mn you had to cover or remove the flashers, but color made no difference.  The insurance issue surfaced so have changed to a 5er.  I do see quite a few around so some one must insure them.  I actually still have it and we use it as a bunkhouse/overfloe at the cabin. 

Since mine was allready Air Force blue, I just registered it as a Bluebird Motorhome, and insured it as such. no one questioned who did a conversion on it. I used .050" thick aluminum over all but 10 of 22 side windows and painted everything from the bottom of the windows up white, and re-worked the entrance door to a one peice one that opened out. Removed the flasher units for the top lights and changed the top front ones to all amber and the rears to all red, and just used them as parking lights.

Lee

does any one know if ill need a cdl to drive a school bus. Ive seen that it can only weigh so much, that it cant have air breaks. Any help, please?

Not in Minnesota.  I drove mine in Canada and to the East and West coast and never had a problem.  Just a normal license just like any other MH

Check with the DMV of Ohio, but I drove in Ohio and had no problem.  However no one ever stopped me to check either.

Back
Top Bottom