Anyone recommend a good solar trickle charger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willie1971

I have old interstate batteries and I want to transfer them to my motorcycle trailer.

I wont be using them often but I wanted to get a nice solar trickle charger to tend to them.

Anyone have anything they know works well?

Thanks

Willie

Willie, not sure I understand you but Harbor Freight has a solar trickle charger that you put on your dash, etc and plug into a 12v source to trickle charge an auto battery. I'm sure many others sell similar also but I've never used any of them. Have a look at this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html

Well, "trickle charge" merely means a low amp rate, so any solar panel with a rating under about 20 watts should qualify. The output voltage needs to be at least 14.0 for charging (most solar panels are a bit higher than that) and 20 watts @ 14v is 1.4 amps.  Watts = Amps x Volts, so one of the small 12-18 watt panels will be even lower in amps.  1 amp for one battery  is ok, but if you have multiple batteries in parallel you can use a higher wattage panel.

Thx

Well my thoughts were to put my old interstate battery's to use in my motorcycle trailer.  I leave it parked in my back yard while the rv is at a farm down the road.  Once disconnected from the rv the tailer is dead and dark.  I find myself in there a lot since I store the ATV's inside 24/7.  I figure I have some wire and parts left over from the big install it wouldn't cost much to wire the trailor so it can be independent of the rv. 

So what I need to design is a micro solar system.  I'll check the links and see what harbor freight has.

Ironically I was throwing the box away for the big solar charger and I saw a brochure I missed hawking the companies other products.  There is a small 10 amp charger in there.

More research is needed on my end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom