EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good solar trickle charger?  (Read 1792 times)

Willie1971

• ---
Anyone recommend a good solar trickle charger?
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
I have old interstate batteries and I want to transfer them to my motorcycle trailer.

I wont be using them often but I wanted to get a nice solar trickle charger to tend to them.

Anyone have anything they know works well?

Thanks

Willie

Mavarick

• ---
Re: Anyone recommend a good solar trickle charger?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:20:40 AM »
Willie, not sure I understand you but Harbor Freight has a solar trickle charger that you put on your dash, etc and plug into a 12v source to trickle charge an auto battery. I'm sure many others sell similar also but I've never used any of them. Have a look at this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-solar-battery-charger-41144.html
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
Well, "trickle charge" merely means a low amp rate, so any solar panel with a rating under about 20 watts should qualify. The output voltage needs to be at least 14.0 for charging (most solar panels are a bit higher than that) and 20 watts @ 14v is 1.4 amps.  Watts = Amps x Volts, so one of the small 12-18 watt panels will be even lower in amps.  1 amp for one battery  is ok, but if you have multiple batteries in parallel you can use a higher wattage panel.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Willie1971

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
Thx

Well my thoughts were to put my old interstate battery's to use in my motorcycle trailer.  I leave it parked in my back yard while the rv is at a farm down the road.  Once disconnected from the rv the tailer is dead and dark.  I find myself in there a lot since I store the ATV's inside 24/7.  I figure I have some wire and parts left over from the big install it wouldn't cost much to wire the trailor so it can be independent of the rv. 

So what I need to design is a micro solar system.  I'll check the links and see what harbor freight has.

Ironically I was throwing the box away for the big solar charger and I saw a brochure I missed hawking the companies other products.  There is a small 10 amp charger in there.

More research is needed on my end.

Hosted by Over The Network