Anyone installed a bedroom ceiling Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
12v isn't any noisier than 120v. Noise has more to do with the quality of the fan motor and the balance of the blades than the type of power.

How to mount it depends on what's in your ceiling for structure.You may have to do some exploratory work first.

Yes Gary I am most concerned with the mounting. As I am from Alabama, it would be permissible to just drill all the way threw the roof & put some 2x4 & plywood up there on the outside to make it solid but there must be some better way they do it. Thanks for your reply. Art (Swamps of Mobile)

I don't Know if what I did will work for you but here goes.  I took a 12 inch by 12 inch 3/8 piece of plywood covered it with same material as the ceiling.  I removed the overhead light and VERY CAREFULLY measured the placement location of where I wanted the fan, drilled a hole for the wires and then mounted my plywood using several wood screws and then mounted the fan to it.  In as much as just about everything runs on 12 volts you need to use a 12 volt fan.  Yes they are a little noisy,mine has a ticking sound , but it does help move the air on those warm nights.  My rig did not come with a fan because the ceiling was too low and there was a possibility of getting clunked with a blade, so be careful. The on off switch for my original light was a dimmer so I replaced it with an ordinary on off.

Hope this gives you a general idea.

Don, WIT 70041

Art In Mobile said:
Yes Gary I am most concerned with the mounting. As I am from Alabama, it would be permissible to just drill all the way threw the roof & put some 2x4 & plywood up there on the outside to make it solid but there must be some better way they do it. Thanks for your reply. Art (Swamps of Mobile)

Very funny Art!  5th wheels very often have ceiling fans because they have more head room.  You might inquire with 5th wheel manufactures on how they have them mounted and what type of fans they use (brand, size, 12v, etc).  You could go to an RV dealer nearby and check out fans also.

>>>As I am from Alabama, it would be permissible to just drill all the way threw the roof & put some 2x4 & plywood up there on the outside to make it solid but there must be some better way they do it. <<<

Sounds good, but be sure to seal the holes on top to keep the water out. ;D

I looked into adding one while I was in Forest City a few years back. I talked to the parts supervisor (female, I can't recall her name off hand).  She pulled up the schematic for my rig on the computer. She said Winnie would strongly advise against it since the roof was not designed to hold one in the building process. 

However I never considered drilling all the way through the roof! I guess I didn't want one that bad.  Instead I bought a 12V fan that Fantastic Fan sells. It's about a 14" fan and plugs in to any 12V power plug. It has 3 speeds and is very quiet to run. And I can move it around the rig as needed. 

It is a box fan design and has foldaway legs for easy storage. It retails for less than $100, and is backed by Fantastic Vent folks, which are very good.  I have had mine for about 5 years and it is still running strong. 

I was at a rally this year and their vendor was there. He gave me a new set of feet for my fan for free. I managed to break one side of one of them a while ago.  Good folks.

Don, that sounds like a good way. As far as the ceiling holding up the fan I am a little puzzled that someone at Winnebago would question it as I do a fast dance up there on the roof with my 200 pound body when I wash it. I sure would want the blades well balanced so it would not shake itself loose. Somehow they are installing them now at Winnebago but they may have extra reinforcement up there. Thanks everyone for your input & Happy New Year! Art

You are welcome, and like the lady said it is not recommended primarily because of the head room.  I too bought mine at Forest City and installed it during some down time at GNR.  I do suggest lock tite on the the nut holding the blades on as it tends to come loose.  Been on several years with no problem, of coarse don't know what will happen now.

Happy New Year to all.

Don, WIT 70041

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote them out

One thing to think about - my friend Bud installed one and then realized that he couldn't bring the slide in without one of the blades hitting the slide. He has to remove a blade when he brings in the slide.

SargeW said:
I looked into adding one while I was in Forest City a few years back. I talked to the parts supervisor (female, I can't recall her name off hand).  She pulled up the schematic for my rig on the computer. She said Winnie would strongly advise against it since the roof was not designed to hold one in the building process. 

Why is that?  Surely it's not a weight issue, or I'm SOL with my roof air install in place of my Fantastic vent.

It was the issue of the torque of the fan turning, and the weight of the fan putting downward pressure on the ceiling panel. The bottom side of the roof panel is just a thin piece of luan board that the padding is glued to. The electric in the roof is just cut into the Styrofoam insulation. The Styrofoam has no weight bearing strength to it. When Winnie installs a fan in a room, there is a brace built into the location to hold up the weight of the fan while rolling down the road and thumping and bumping over our bumpy road system.

Your roof air is installed on top the roof structure to hold it up. The fan would be installed into a 1/8 sheet of luan. Not quite the same thing. 

Back
Top Bottom