Can campfire smoke set off propane dectector?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azjudd

We had windows and door open with many campfires going around us and our propane dectector went off...checked everything inside and seems to be fine, so we are wondering if the campfire smoke can set it off?  many thanks!  (we are new to this!)

My seat-of-the-pants answer is no. the propane detector detects, I believe, hydrocarbon concentrations, so I would think there wouldn't be enough to trigger it. That being said the fact remains it went off...and your positive there is no leak in your propane system?..If you could duplicate conditions and have the propane valved off at the tank and the detector went off I guess it proves it can and my first answer is wrong..I'd like to say that would be the first time but I'd be telling a fib.

Campfire smoke should have set off your smoke detector. I don't think the propane detector would be affected.

Most any engine exhaust can trigger an LP detector, so can aerosol sprays, doggie farts, many cleaning products, etc. It's not a very discriminating device.  However, wood smoke would not usually set it off. Could be some other stuff in the fireplace, though, e.g. food, plastic wrappers, beverage cans, etc. Those can add enough hydrocarbons to set it off.

Once when a neighbor was working on repairing/tuning an old lawnmower, he kept setting off my LP detector.  He fiddled with the thing for a month or so and I finally turned the LP detector off in self-defense.

Thanks to everyone for their input. We'll try to re-create some scenarios tonight when it's time to fire up the furnace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom