08 F350 fuel capacity ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

browne07

My 08 F350 6.4 SRW crew cab long box manual says the fuel tank capacity is 38 gallons. I have run it down to 5 miles left in tank a couple of times and have only been able to get approx. 34 gallons of fuel into it. Is 38 gallons stated wrong or is the fuel warning? I don't want to find out the hard way.

I have an 05 truck and after the fuel nozzle clicks off I can get a little more than 3 gallons in the tank. I wait for the foam to go down and pump, wait and pump, wait and pump, etc. Because of the lousy filler neck design and diesel fuel foam, the pump shuts off too soon.

Trust your own math, not the electronics.
I sometimes get 34 mpg on the readout, then after I reset it I get the usual 19-21mpg.
So too remind myself I reset readout elec gizmo and reset my odometer, helps me on track real life miles. 

My '08 also had the 38 gallon tank.  One time (and one time only) I put 40 gallons in it.  But it was reading empty.  Really empty.

There is one other factor to consider. Aircraft fuel tanks are rated in gallons of capacity, but the FAA also requires that the amount of usable fuel be listed. So a 50 gallon tank might have 3.5 gallons (or more, depending on design) unusable. So in this case you'll only get 46.5 usable. I've noticed this in cars, so this may be part of your problem. Unfortunately, ground vehicle makers don't seem to be required to tell how much is usable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom