HOW TO CHECK AND ADD AIR TO WINNEBAGO ERA REAR DUAL TIRES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV Roamer said:
The "other" valve stems in a dually pair are typically directly opposite, but there is no hard and fast rule that says they have to be.

On my duals (F-53) I have a locating pin which prevents one from mounting the wheels in any orientation other than with the valve stems 180? apart. Not sure this is true for all duals.

R

Mine is set up the same way, Richard. Just added this kit to my duals. works great.

Attachments

• hose_stainless.jpg
    hose_stainless.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 97
I have a 2008 Winnebago View and had the same problems with the back inside dual tire.  At the recommendation of our local tire dealer we installed alligator values and also purchased the long dual head tire gauge. Easy to check all the tires now.  However we do not have an attachment that is long enough on our air compressor to add air back into the tires.  Can anyone suggest what we can do? The usual attachment is the kind you push the clip down on the stem and we are unable to do this with the inside dual tire. Thank you!

My wife and I are new to the forum and we are amazed to find our question addressed already.  Although our story is obviously not unique or new, we don't yet have a solution but certainly some experience to share.  Our 2010 Winnebago Sprinter is an amazing machine and runs like a scalded dog.  However, on this trip to Charleston from Texas, we encountered a serious problem with the dual rear wheels.  It seems that when we bought Monkey Business in June, the dealer didn't check air pressure and sent us merrily down the road.  We learned that the tires...all six of them were at 35#s!  So I took it to a truck tire dealer that installed valve extensions on the rubber valve stems and aired the tires up to 80#s which is the pressure he said they should be at.  We have made several shorter trips without incident and I checked the tires before every trip...they were at 80#s.  We started this trip and had an outside rear tire do down...valve stem popped out and destroyed the tire.  Camping World Charleston ordered a new tire and we were told that putting valve extensions on rubber stems was a "disaster waiting to happen."  So they were installing metal valve stems with extensions.  Then they told us that the design of the wheels is such that the metal stems they were installing would not seat properly and wouldn't work.  I have tried the two headed pressure gauge and it won't work on the outside tire as the stem faces in towards the inner tire.  I can reach the stem for the inner tire with difficulty.  They told us there was no solution of which they are aware and that we had to remove the outer tire to check the pressure.  They also recommended that we have Good Sam Roadside Assistance...which we do thankfully.  Out of frustration, I ask again...how are we to fix this problem "permanently?"  We are sitting in the RV park in Charleston with 1400 miles home and can't check the air in the dual tires!  We will appreciate any ideas and thanks in advance.

Rather than depending on Camping World to tell you what you can or cannot do with tires/wheels/valves, visit a large truck tire dealership and ask there. There are likely solutions that CW is unaware of regarding the valve stems.

Thanks for all the responses.  We arrived home without incident.  I checked tire inflation at every stop using a ball peen hammer.  I know it's "old fashion" but dang if it doesn't work pretty good if you can remember the sound a properly inflated tire makes when hit solidly with a hammer!  There is a solution for sure and if replacing wheels is the key, we will do it.  Before leaving Texas, we did take it to a truck tire dealer who installed the extensions on the rubber valve stems.  With our experience I won't put metal extensions on rubber "pop in" stems...the vibration caused by whirling round turns the stem and eventually, it will come out.
This is a great forum and we really  appreciate all the comments.  Can hardly wait to get on the road again.  Love these Sprinters!

I would not put extensions over an inch or so on rubber stems, BUT, there are rubber donut extension stabilizers made for the 22.5" Alcoa and Accuride aluminum wheels. They fit in the outer wheel hole around the metal extension, and keep the extensions from flexing due to centrifugal force when the wheels are rolling. I wonder is something similar is available for smaller/steel wheels?

There is a solution for sure and if replacing wheels is the key, we will do it.

No need to do that if you use the dually valve stems I posted above. No matter what wheels you used, you would have the same problem.

afchap said:
I would not put extensions over an inch or so on rubber stems, BUT, there are rubber donut extension stabilizers made for the 22.5" Alcoa and Accuride aluminum wheels. They fit in the outer wheel hole around the metal extension, and keep the extensions from flexing due to centrifugal force when the wheels are rolling. I wonder is something similar is available for smaller/steel wheels?

I have been having similar problems with my rear dual tires as well and have not completely resolved my concerns. I tried the link that  John Hilley posted but it is not working for me. I am interested in looking for these rubber stabilizers that you mentioned. Is there some place you are aware of that we can get them?? I see them online but they are in complete valve kits which I don't need.

Thanks

I see stabilizers sold in pairs, with or without extensions, at Alcoa.com. Click on Products, then on Accessories, and find them in the list. There are good pics of various styles/shapes fr 19.5" aluminum wheels and larger. I ordered a set of Accuride stabilizers from RealWheels I think it was, but much prefer the Alcoa version. As long as the hole size is right, the brand doesn't matter. With the difference in thickness, I'm not sit how well the stabilizers would work on steel wheels, but I might be tempted to try them if I could get them for the right hole size ...that probably would be the biggest problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom