Gas vs Diesel for towing vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Warranty I've been out of warranty since 48K miles when I gave the dealer my notice and told them I'll fix it myself.

Oil changes. You got to remember its a diesel and it does holds about 3 gallons of oil so it go much farther between oil changes like I do 10k between oil changes.  Book states 7.5k miles. I buy all oil in bulk 5 gallon buckets which is much cheaper than the the standard gallon jug. Like my truck is offroad more often so I went with a Frantz Bypass oil filter and capable of extending oil changes now. Just a picture of my 400HP Cummins...  ;)
http://i60.tinypic.com/2626sxu.jpg

If you blow a turbo its because you never installed a pyrometer to monitor exhaust temps and cool the turbo down properly.
http://i60.tinypic.com/es9ieu.jpg

Here is what 2001 Dodge Cummins can do in about 5 years with 20k miles oil changes hauling boats for a living.
http://i55.tinypic.com/20ggyva.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/o0pbw6.jpg

there are pros and cons to each gas and diesel - gas trucks are cheaper to buy, feul is cheaper right now etc etc etc - but i think what it really boils down to is the following - and i have both a gas for pulling the boat and a diesel for the trailer
- do you really need a diesel - if your not pulling a heavy load or a lot of the time - then gas is good

but

- a diesel is really nice to have, if - you have a heavy trailer and or mountains like we have the Rockies

cost is really irrelevant in that, its based upon what you need and what you want - honestly do you need a $500000 sports car that does 200 mph -no but sure it would be nice to have

in my case my trailer is 14000 - 15000 lbs loaded we live near the mountains and end up driving through them about 75% of the time we pull the trailer. Could i get away with a gas job - YES but i really like having all that the diesel offers - therefore cost becomes irrelevant. i bought my truck knowing in 2013  i was going to get a new trailer .

Just because diesel fuel is higher in price doesn't mean that diesel trucks are higher in operating cost. That's a myth.  ::)

26.4 MPG for the tank, 24.2 MPG for the day.
http://i55.tinypic.com/f0urzk.jpg

Attachments

• mpg.png
    mpg.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
I don't think maintenance of a diesel in a light duty truck is a major factor, but I haven't owned one since 1999 either.  In the big picture, does an extra gallon or two of oil per change make much difference?  Maybe once every 6-9 months for most owners?  Now if we were talking the 7 gallons that my big Cummins ISL needs, plus a $65 oil filter, the extra maybe begins to be meaningful, but I only do that once a year.

And I do mean "maintenance" as opposed to "repairs", since diesel engine repairs, if needed, can be very costly. Fuel injector replacement seemed to be a costly issue for awhile in the early 2000's, for example. Don't hear much about that lately, though.

As for fuel, you need to consider cost per mile, not per gallon. Still, I think that diesel fuel comes out either equal or only slightly more expensive

Sorry to say but I've got connection in the Cummins world so my last upgrade to the injectors was +50HP injector for a mere $450 bucks. I know the newer Common rai linjectors are out of sight for prices some are going as high as $900 per injector. One of the small reasons I'm hanging back in the 2002 Cummins yet..  :eek:

Mopar1973Man said:
Sorry to say but I've got connection in the Cummins world so my last upgrade to the injectors was +50HP injector for a mere $450 bucks. I know the newer Common rai linjectors are out of sight for prices some are going as high as $900 per injector. One of the small reasons I'm hanging back in the 2002 Cummins yet..  :eek:

I love my Cummins, but the day it breaks warranty, it gets traded in.

I am in a real quandary. I currently have 2004 duramax that just had its 4th set of injectors installed in 120,00 miles. I even installed a double filtration lift pump after the last set and they lasted only 12k. At $5000 a shot this truck is becoming way too expensive to  maintain. I spend winters in Mexico (leading RV Caravans) and they do not import diesel pickups down there so getting one worked on is hit & miss. They also do not have ULSD, so anything i replace it with has to be pre 2007. Gas is suddenly looking better. I tow a 5500 lb dry trailer, I suspect I am close to 7500 ibs loaded.

One big, and for me unexpected as to the degree, difference I noticed in going from gas to diesel was engine braking going down steep grades.

One place we go to a lot for weekends here in AZ when it is over 110 degrees in the shade is up to the mountains (or even in the winter to camp with snow around us). The closest place that is cool near us is Hualapai Mountain park south of Kingman, AZ. It was always a bit stressful coming down that mountain in my gasser (F250). Once I had accidently turned the brake controller down to almost nothing and it got scary as the TV brakes faded extremely. Had to manually use the trailer brakes to keep things under control (plus lower gear of course). Can't imagine how it would have turned out with no brake controller at all.

With my Diesel F350, in tow haul mode, I rarely have to touch the brakes down that same mountain.

Michael

telcoman said:
I am in a real quandary. I currently have 2004 duramax that just had its 4th set of injectors installed in 120,00 miles. I even installed a double filtration lift pump after the last set and they lasted only 12k. At $5000 a shot this truck is becoming way too expensive to  maintain. I spend winters in Mexico (leading RV Caravans) and they do not import diesel pickups down there so getting one worked on is hit & miss. They also do not have ULSD, so anything i replace it with has to be pre 2007. Gas is suddenly looking better. I tow a 5500 lb dry trailer, I suspect I am close to 7500 ibs loaded.

One reason I'm holding on to my old 2002 Dodge Diesel because the failures you have with Common Rail Injectors doesn't exist on the older diesel engines. Like myself I only pay $400 for a set of 6 injectors vs $5000 for common rail injectors. Having newer vehicles doesn't mean better.  ::) Like my truck it produces the same power as most of the newer truck today.

I need advice - first time using this forum.
What are your views on my using my BMW X5 with twin turbo diesel and all wheel drive for pulling a travel trailer weighing 4200 pounds dry? I get 25 mpg on the highway. We plan on doing a big trip in our 22 ft long trailer around this great nation next year.
Second question. Do you have any guidance about planning for the trip? We're thinking of taking about six months.
Just my wife and I, both about to retire.
thanks

Tom,
You would probably get more responses by starting your own thread. Maybe a Moderator will split this off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom