Gas vs Diesel for towing vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV Roamer said:
Msgtregester: You probably won't be able to fuel your Ram diesel at the truck pumps because the truck pumps are all large diameter (high volume) nozzles and most pick-ups only have a small diameter filler port, probably the same skinny size as is used for gasoline.

Just for a point of reference. My older 2002 will accept a high volume diesel pump. As for the newer trucks I can't answer that...

Well, I would prefer to have a diesel truck.  However, there are situations when you cannot or should not get it. In my case, I bought a gas after considering the following: 1) my DW hates the noise of a diesel truck, and told me not to get it; 2) as she said, if you can pull it with a gas one, I want a gas one; 3) the difference on price was about $8,000 for the engine and transmission, hard sell to her; 4) I have read that short drives kill diesel engines and most of my driving is 10-15 miles these days as I am retired; 5) I read that to make it worth it financially, those who make studies on this matter say you need to drive over 10,000 miles a year and I do 7,000; 6) the 2014 Chevy 6.2l can run without problems on E-85, which where I live is $1.00/ gallon less than a diesel; and I use it when not pulling the fifth wheel; this is a huge difference; 7) we do not travel towards the Rockies pulling the fifth wheel; and when we do it every five years or so we do not pull  a trailer and 8) the insurance premium was going to be higher on the diesel one, as it was going to be more expensive and heavier.  With all this information, there was no way I could convince my DW.  So, I got a gas and works fine, but I would love to have a diesel.

Mopar1973Man said:
Just for a point of reference. My older 2002 will accept a high volume diesel pump. As for the newer trucks I can't answer that...
My 2011 will too.  I'm sure its no different that my old '97; high volume pump will fit and work but its a little bit of a pain as you can't hold it wide open like a regular pump....lol

All diesel equipped trucks have the bigger fuel inlet hole that accepts the high pressure pump nozzles. I always fill up my trucks with high pressure pumps when I can.

I feel this is no different than the mh question. who cares if you never recoop your money on the diesel, you will enjoy pulling whatever you pull more, and that is what it's all about right, enjoying your time while camping,rving, whatever you do.

I have a 2010 ram35004x4, I pull a 32' load trail trailer with hydra dove tail. I haul 22 round bales that way around 1000 to 1200lbs, yes it "knows" its back there, but pulls great. mileage with this truck....10mpg, loaded or empty.

I used to use a 2004 gm2500hd with 6.0, pulling a 24' load boss trailer, with 14bales. yes it diff "knew" it was back there, and pulled it....well lets say it got the job done. mileage with this truck.....14mpg, loaded or empty.

would I ever go back....not a snowballs chance in you "know" where...jm2c

kevin said:
I feel this is no different than the mh question. who cares if you never recoop your money on the diesel, you will enjoy pulling whatever you pull more, and that is what it's all about right, enjoying your time while camping,rving, whatever you do.

I have a 2010 ram35004x4, I pull a 32' load trail trailer with hydra dove tail. I haul 22 round bales that way around 1000 to 1200lbs, yes it "knows" its back there, but pulls great. mileage with this truck....10mpg, loaded or empty.

I used to use a 2004 gm2500hd with 6.0, pulling a 24' load boss trailer, with 14bales. yes it diff "knew" it was back there, and pulled it....well lets say it got the job done. mileage with this truck.....14mpg, loaded or empty.

would I ever go back....not a snowballs chance in you "know" where...jm2c
you hauled 20000 lbs(bails and trailer) and got 14MPG with a chev 6.0 gasser?

yes somewhere around that wait, it has never gotten any worse, nor any better. some of the bales weighed more depending on if they were alittle green or not.

kevin said:
yes somewhere around that wait, it has never gotten any worse, nor any better. some of the bales weighed more depending on if they were alittle green or not.
My 2002 6.0 2500 4x4 got 14  just driving it around empty

what I was saying is that either way it got 14, loaded or empty, never any better period. and it pulled alright, just that the dodge does it way better, way more quiet, and a lot more secure.

kevin said:
what I was saying is that either way it got 14, loaded or empty, never any better period. and it pulled alright, just that the dodge does it way better, way more quiet, and a lot more secure.
understood its just unlikely and unusual a 6.0 l GMM truck gets 14 MPG loaded with 20000 lbs and the same as a empty truck. Never personally seen that or heard of such a fuel mileage situation that's why I asked. no big deal just strikes me odd is all

Interesting conversation.

A bike shop that we know (that ran a MX team) dumped their tundras due to excessive gas consumption.

Gas is regulated around here so if you buy from one station in town A, all the other garage stations will have the same price. This tip is good to know.  Our gas is presently 6.75 gal for low test.

Are there any Canadians lurking ? I know that there is a big price differential between my home province and the states..I was wondering if the same can be said about diesel trucks ?  How do I find the prices of trucks (lets say ohio) without calling a dealer ?

I am getting 10 mph towing a 6K pound trailer(we are a province with lots of hills)

Has anyone looked at the ram 1500 deseil for pulling TTs...I hear this RAM will get 19mpg with a 6K TT ..is this hocus pokus ?

I want diesel but convincing the wife is another...

Ian.

Has anyone looked at the ram 1500 deseil for pulling TTs...I hear this RAM will get 19mpg with a 6K TT ..is this hocus pokus ?

::) I think that a bit of a high number. I think like all vehicles you'll drop down to low teens (10-14 MPG). But I've not experienced a 1500 Dodge diesel yet either. But I would still have a hard time even considering towing with a 1500 series truck of a trailer longer than about 20-25 foot. Not so much the weight but the length.

buchanan said:
understood its just unlikely and unusual a 6.0 l GMM truck gets 14 MPG loaded with 20000 lbs and the same as a empty truck. Never personally seen that or heard of such a fuel mileage situation that's why I asked. no big deal just strikes me odd is all
trust me you are not the only one who found it odd. it was my dad's truck, and his friend bought the same truck with the same gears, and got 16 to 17 empty, and 11 pulling his 5vr, not sure the size and weight. this year also has should I say some electrical glitches...4x4 lights go out, heat and air goes in and out, hot when on cold. the worst is if it sets for a couple of day's and you start it up put it in gear, it just sets. acts like it is low on trans fluid. had it at the dealer, and no answer's, been doing it since he bought it new in 2004.

Staff edit: Fix broken close quote tag

I have now surrounded myself with all the dodge truck info...RAM 1500/2500/3500.

Is there any reason I would need a 4*4 if I am going to be in the southern states in the winter ?  Better mileage and higher payload if I stick with a 4*2.

Here is the article that I referenced earlier:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/1403_2014_ram_1500_ecodiesel_vs_2500_sibling_rivalry/

Summary:

Final Thoughts
After our time with the trucks was up, we came to a not-so-shocking conclusion: both are excellent vehicles in their own right. The new Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel engine is a game-changer. We?re confident that in the right conditions it can break 30 mpg on the highway, and 20 mpg towing. Short of pulling up in front of the pump to be refueled, one would be hard pressed to tell there is a diesel engine under the hood.

As for the new chassis and suspension under the Ram 2500, we were simply amazed. Highway ride is vastly improved over previous generations, and we noticed no negative affect on its towing ability. Add to that legendary Cummins power that never ceases to impress, and you have one hell of a ?-ton platform to tow and haul with.

Ultimately, the decision of which truck is the right choice comes down to towing. For the person who commutes in his truck and only tows his toys or who?s trailer weights are at the lighter end of the spectrum, the Ram 1500 is a superb option. If the trailer weight tops 9,000 pounds, or your frequency of hitching up is more often, then the Ram 2500 is the truck of choice. Either way, neither truck will disappoint.

I have been looking at the Ram 2500 6.4 and the 2500 diesel.  I would love to get the diesel but the payload drops from around 3200 # to 2300 #.  This is for the Ram 2500 4 x4 crew cab. 

The payload of the diesel is fine with my current 7500 # TT but I want the option of trading up someday to a 5th wheeler.  The 2300# payload of the diesel scares me. 

If I go with diesel I may opt up to the 3500.  Any thoughts?

I've been using Cummins Diesels since 1996 starting out with the old reliable 2500 12-valve B5.9 at 215 hp and 440 lb-ft torque.  In 2011 we purchased a Rockwood Ultralight at 7900 pounds dry - the 12-valve pulled it, but had to work to get up the 6-7% grades.  I loved that old truck and used it until 2012 when I gave it to my son.  He used it for a while and then sold it for $13,500 - the value of the Diesels remain relatively high

In 2012 we purchased a 3500 ISB 6.7 rated at 385 hp and 850 lb-ft torque.  Grades that formerly gave me problems I can now accelerate up in the 3500.  I hook up the fiver and  the tail hardly goes down with the added weight - giving me a great sense of security that I have plenty of truck.

Having experience with both, I'd definitely spring for the 3500 because that Diesel will last for many, many years, and it is just nice to know that you have the load capacity when you need it.  Other nice features of the new Rams are an intelligent exhaust brake, a tow haul mode in combination with the 6-speed auto makes any  grade effortless.

My dad always said, buy once, but buy well.

Pat wrote:

I have been looking at the Ram 2500 6.4 and the 2500 diesel.  I would love to get the diesel but the payload drops from around 3200 # to 2300 #.  This is for the Ram 2500 4 x4 crew cab.

This is the same reason I did not buy a 2014 RAM 2500 diesel.  It has the lowest payload of 2500 diesels.  Check the manufacturers' web pages and you will see.  I don't know why is this the case because they have the best engine.

RVRAC said:
Pat wrote:

This is the same reason I did not buy a 2014 RAM 2500 diesel.  It has the lowest payload of 2500 diesels.  Check the manufacturers' web pages and you will see.  I don't know why is this the case because they have the best engine.
It is because of the extra weight of the diesel engine being added to the gross weight of the truck. They are heavy beasts.

Yeah, but 2300#does not give you a lot of space for the pin weight. It may be because of the back suspension.  The 3500 Ram has leaf springs, the 2500 does not.

We bought a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab Cummins in January.  I pull an 8000 lbs travel trailer in high elevations (10K' +) and lots of steep grades.  The Cummins is a beast....800 lb ft of torque is a beautiful thing, and I get about 13-14 mpg towing and close to 20 empty.

If you tow in low elevations on relatively flat lands, a gas truck will save you a bundle over the cost of a diesel and should do the job just fine.  If you tow heavy stuff out here in the high country, a diesel is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom