Camping near Colorado Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aterry

Has anyone camped near Colorado Springs lately. We are planning a trip out there this summer and would like some suggestions on where to stay. I found a couple in a search but wanted to see if anyone had any other good places to stay. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

While expensive for out of State visitors, the Cheyenne Mountain SP is just wonderful.  We stay when ever we pass through.  There is also a KOA there S. of town if you are just looking for a place to park.

Bill Adams said:
While expensive for out of State visitors, the Cheyenne Mountain SP is just wonderful.  We stay when ever we pass through.  There is also a KOA there S. of town if you are just looking for a place to park.

Why would it be more expensive for out-of-state visitors? I thought there was just one fee for camping? And if you want to see expensive state park campgrounds, try the ones in California .... $60 for full-hookups.

Wendy
hiding from Colorado snow on the California beach

Wendy said:
Why would it be more expensive for out-of-state visitors? I thought there was just one fee for camping? And if you want to see expensive state park campgrounds, try the ones in California .... $60 for full-hookups.

Yikes!  That's pricy!  I think Cheyenne Mtn, summer, out of state, including vehicle fee is $33 a night.

I do love the view down over Colorado Springs though.  At the same time, I'll mention that the tenters we talked to the day we arrived told us that they had experienced 50 mph winds and had to put big rocks in their tent to keep it on the mountain the night before.  They were the second people who told us that the winds can be pretty bad there.

Our son went to the USAFA and we spent a lot of time in the area. Cripple Creek quaint town gambling, Mantatou Springs "devils town" garden of the gods, and you have to visit the USAFA!!

The Olympic headquarters is in COS.

Try to catch a game at the Acadamy. Great time guarantee it will make you feel good.

Class of 98

Of course this was all Before 9/11

We stayed here (http://www.mountainviewrvresort.net/index.php) for a month in October and can highly recommend it.

You are 35 miles or so from Colorado Springs, just outside Canon City, and convenient to all manner of day trips, including Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek, Leadville, and even the Great Sand Dunes. Just down the street from the Royal Gorge, too!

We had an excellent experience there, met a very engaging owner who is on site, and who is really looking to make this a great park.

On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 9.5.

aterry said:
Has anyone camped near Colorado Springs lately. We are planning a trip out there this summer and would like some suggestions on where to stay. I found a couple in a search but wanted to see if anyone had any other good places to stay.
We were camping around Colorado Springs last August.  Stayed at Mueller State Park, beautiful scenery and good trails and facilities.

Also stayed at Mountaindale.  Very clean.  Didn't use there showers or other facilities though.  Liked Mueller better.  Also the lady that checked us in was rude at Mountaindale.

Really liked the area and tons of stuff to do. 

Terry A. Brewer said:
Wendy

How much are you paying?<G>

Well, that's a whole different story :)  But I do feel sorry for the young people parked next to us who are paying $65/night for 3 nights.....ouch. Now, if we were in Colorado, we'd be paying full price for camping but get free day use.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach

Bill Adams said:

In Colorado State Parks there are no fee differences for in-state vs out-of-state.  CO State Parks require entry passes on every vehicle which is $7.00/day at Cheyenne Mtn. SP, or else you can purchase a yearly permit good for all SP's in CO for $70.00/yr.  Those permits only gain entry to the park, if you want to camp overnight then the campground fees are extra and vary from park to park.

I have a yearly permit since I go hiking in Cheyenne Mtn. SP often, and also camp at various other SP's so it's worth it for me!

The only time being a Colorado resident gets you a better deal in the state parks is if you're a senior which gets you $10 off the annual pass and discounted camping or if you're a disabled veteran with DV plates which gets you in free. There is also a cheaper pass for handicapped Colorado residents. The good news is that they quit charging the day use fee for toads.

Wendy

Wendy said:
The only time being a Colorado resident gets you a better deal in the state parks is if you're a senior which gets you $10 off the annual pass and discounted camping or if you're a disabled veteran with DV plates which gets you in free. There is also a cheaper pass for handicapped Colorado residents. The good news is that they quit charging the day use fee for toads.

Wendy

It'll be a little while before I qualify for the senior discount....I'm in my mid 20's. Hopefully I make it that long  ;)

skyking4ar2 said:
We stayed here (http://www.mountainviewrvresort.net/index.php) for a month in October and can highly recommend it.

You are 35 miles or so from Colorado Springs, just outside Canon City, and convenient to all manner of day trips, including Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek, Leadville, and even the Great Sand Dunes. Just down the street from the Royal Gorge, too!

We had an excellent experience there, met a very engaging owner who is on site, and who is really looking to make this a great park.

On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 9.5.

X2 an excellent, smaller, family-run CG.  Huge sites.  Nice people. Good wifi

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom