Big Bend Bound- Need Internet!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubreyshaw

We will be starting our 6 month journey in a few weeks and Big Bend is the first destination on our list.  We've never been before!  We plan on staying for about 2 weeks and need FAST internet since my husband will be working while we are there.  We will have a satilite, but not sure it will work well enough.  Are there any large towns near by that you would suggest?  Any experience with cell phone reception and internet in this area?

Also, any general info on things to do or sites to see in Big Bend would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Aubrey:

Cellular coverage in remote areas like Big Bend Texas is rather spotty. Even Verizon which has one of the best coverage maps will not be too reliable there.

We have Internet satellite and like others here are considering replacing it with cellular data but satellite does provide coverage in places like Big Bend.

I hate to ask such a stupid question, but I must since there are two different Big Bends. One is a bus stop in Zion and the other is a National Park in Texas. I am guessing you are talking about the NP in Texas and if so I really doubt there is much in the way of an Internet connection there.

The campground at Big Bend Rio Grande Village has WiFi available at the General store. Worked well.

There aren't any first class campgrounds convenient to Big Bend. Cell coverage is spotty and internet signal has to be hunted for.

If internet and cell coverage is the priority then I'd suggest that you stay in Fort Davis, TX. There's some nice CGs there, one of which is Davis Mountain State Park which is kind of an exception to state parks in that it has cable and wi-fi. It doesn't take two weeks to see Big Bend, but if that is the intent, then know that Fort Davis is about 2 hours drive to the park. Fort Davis is also centrally located to some other attractions that you might want to visit like McDonald's Observatory and Fort Davis National Park.

Take your long johns. Depending on the altitude in the Park it can be cold. We don't get much winter here in Texas, but you may find it below freezing in that neck of the woods.

Big Bend is VERY remote. That's why I LOVE it!! Couldn't speak for internet service though.

You mention you have "a satellite" (no one has a satellite but many have some kind of an antenna), what do you mean by this.  A satellite TV antenna will not get you on the internet and no satellite internet antenna would be considered FAST (dependable, but not FAST).
If you could tell us a bit more about what you have and what you need and how far you could re-locate away from the cellular waste land that is Big Bend we might be able to get you some more detailed information to help you with your current conundrum.

Actually calling the park is a very good idea.  Things change, people's memories get sketchy.  The call to the park would be the most recent/correct/up to date information.

Aubreyshaw: if you check there is a concessionaire private campground right at the most southern point of the park near Big Bend's "Cottonwood" campground.  Cottonwood has no hook-ups, but they do have Javalina  :D .  The concessionaire campground is a large asphalt parking lot with full hook-ups.  I don't remember if it had internet, because we had a high-speed internet dish on the top of the coach which worked very well.  There is not much to see in Big Bend and 2 weeks is a long time to spend there.  There are a few hiking trails. 

Terlingua is kinda neat to visit.  When we visited Big Bend, we came in on #385 and left via #170.  Fort Davis is very interesting.  A good campground is "The Lost Alaskan" in Alpine.

I would suggest going to the NPS website for Big Bend and gather info and give them a call.

Have fun,
Marsha~

Big Bend definitely is remote!  I can't help you with the internet question, but there are other campgrounds outside the park that are lot closer than Fort Davis.  The historic town of Lajitas at the western end of the park has a relatively new RV resort.  It wasn't quite finished the last time we were there but it was going to be a first class RV resort with golf course nearby.  At the north end of the park we've stayed at Terlingua.  See the site http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/Texas/Terlingua.html for amenities.  We've also stayed at Rio Grande Village.

Big Bend is also huge so plan on doing a lot a driving every day (another reason Fort Davis is too far).  You didn't mention when you plan to go, but summer is quite hot there with temperatures above 100 degrees.  Make sure you carry water when out and about.

ArdraF

Hey aubreyshaw,

Let me know how your trip went and internet availability.  Headed there myself in March in hopes of catching the spring desert bloom. 

Hello:
On 5/24/2010 I stayed at Rio Grande Village RV camp and I can tell you that parked in RV site hard to get signal from the ROUTER in Camp store.
For best reception one had to sit in Laundry with notebook computer. 

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom