Sleep Number Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mso

Looking at replacing our uncomfortable factory mattress.  Seems like one polular option is the sleep number mattress.  Anyone have one of these and if so what do like or dislike about it.

Thanks

We have one at the stickhouse and also the Motor Home and they can't be beat. We would never go back to a regular mattress.

Banjo     

We got one in our MH which we bought 3 years old. Sleep Number would provide no troubleshooting assistance, does not let you into their website troubleshooting area, and wants $150 for a new bladder for one side if you track it down to that. Sleep Number only deals with "original owners" of their beds.

I promised them that I would badmouth them every chance I got. I got a replacement bladder from another MH owner who hated his Shlep Number so much that he took it out and put a real mattress in.

Some love em, some hate em. You won't know until you spend a small fortune to buy one.

Ken

I got a new mattress when I bought my coach (thrown in by the dealer) but it's not super comfy because of the lack of a boxspring and the fact it's just a crappy matress  ::) I bought a 3" memory foam matress topper from Amazon for about 125.00 (queen size) and put a down filled matress cover on top of that. The whole set up is pretty thick but the good thing is, I really hate getting out of bed in the morning  ;D

[quote author=bucks2]I promised them that I would badmouth them every chance I got.[/quote]

Please be sure to read our forum rules, specifically this paragraph:

Attempts To Organize Boycotts
Please do not attempt to use the RV Forum as a platform to organize a boycott against a company. Rants against a manufacturer, dealer, or repair shop for real or perceived mistreatment are generally not acceptable.

On the other hand, reports of poor quality products or poor service, giving the circumstances, are generally acceptable.

We changed to a SN bed at our home over 12 years ago. When we bought our current coach (new), the foam mattress was a piece of junk that we discarded and replaced with a SN knockoff on our maiden voyage. We have since replaced the knockoff with a genuine Sleep Number mattress (long story).

My other half makes part of her living out of replacing lousy foam mattresses with a "much better" foam mattress. So, we obviously don't discount good foam mattresses as a viable option. However, on SN's scale of 1-100, Chris has her side set at 35, while I wish mine could be set at 150. Can't do that with a foam mattress.

Before anyone suggests it, forget the "egg crate foam" option.

You might want to do a search, we just had a similar conversation not long ago. I have the SN that came in my MH. It's Ok at best, I just can't seem to find a number I'm comfortable with. It always feels like I'm rolling towards the center or the outside of the bed depending on the setting. Not bad enough to replace, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one either. We are going to put a foam topper on it this spring which is what many others have done.
Don't forget you're supposed to let the air out of them before going over mountain passes. They do get big when you forget!

You can buy SN mattresses with different "toppers". The toppers are merely foam, and my suggestion would be to go with the minimal topper and add what you need later. I'd add plywood to my side before I'd add foam; I tried to get the retailer to do that, but they wouldn't agree to it.

Our's actually isn't called a Sleep Number but an Ideal Rest Digital Control mattress.  It's what came with the 2011 Meridian and as I said earlier, we love it.  It has a pillow top and we can't really feel where one side ends and the other begins.  Of course, we only have ours set a few numbers apart.

We tried a good memory foam topper but it was toooooooooooo HOT!  Unfortunate because it was comfortable.

Greetings all,

We have a sleep number bed at our stick house. I only bought the mattress and made base myself out of 2X6's and plywood sheeting. Modified the beds boxspring holder. We like the mattress a lot and have been sleeping much better after buying it. We've had it for over two years now. It might be possible to place the mattress on an existing board support in an RV, but you need a solid flat surface to place it on. Since they sell different size mattresses it should be possible to find a size that fits.

Seems like they should offer help to secondary buyers if they want to sell them a new mattress in the future. I'd be upset with them if not. I can only say that we have had good experience with out mattress and both my wife and I like it a lot. Best!

CamperAL

We have a sleep number mattress in our coach. A new owner of a motor home didn't want it and the dealership was throwing it away so I grabbed it. :) Much better when you want to lift the bed up for the storage underneath. However, it will never take the place of the water bed we had in the house before we went full time!! :)

Aye Jim, and I suspect it would be really tough trying to raise the water bed to access storage  ;D

Tom,

That's true. I would forgo the storage but stopping would be a whole 'nother problem!! I'd find the mattress wrapped around my neck! ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

That's true. I would forgo the storage but stopping would be a whole 'nother problem!! I'd find the mattress wrapped around my neck! ;D ;D

Thanks Jim, That is probably one of the funniest visuals I've had in a long time!

Mikie

We had a Sleep Number bed in our stick house for several years before going full time. I loved it, she liked the adjustment but thought the mattress felt too warm in Arizona summers. I wish I had it back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom