Entry door hinge is worn, how to repair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

427v8

I have an older, 1992, 23' class c. The entry door hinge is badly worn and needs to be replaced. The rest of the door is fine and I don't want to spend $300-$500 on the whole door!

Has anyone found a way to replace just the hinge?

Thanks
Keith

OK I got a picture, I don't see a way to post it so here's a link...

They are big, to see the detail...

http://www.corvettengineering.com/photos/RV/hinge1.JPG

http://www.corvettengineering.com/photos/RV/hingeinside.JPG

I replaced the outer (screen) door hinge on a Southwind several years ago. Was able to order a replacement hinge though a dealer, though the first two dealers told me I would have to get a whole new door.  A call to the factory confirmed that the hinges were available separately, though, and I eventually found a dealer who would order one for me.

You could also try RV salvage yards - there are several of them across the country.  Search the rvforum.net Resources library for rv salvage or rv parts and you should retrieve a list of such places.

Most Rv doors and windows come from the Hehr company. Google "Hehr" and you might find a source for parts.

I have used Colaw Salvage before a few years back, likewise for other friends.  Great success.  They are listed on Toms' chart.

Our RV was made in 1989.  We were faced with the same problem but rather than replacing the hinge I figured out a way to replace the material worn away. 

The style of hinge we have in a continuous piano hinge type but each hinge section is approx 3" long.  The wear was a result of ALUM turning on ALUM with nothing between the moving parts.  Over time the ALUM wore and the door dropped to a point where it would not close easily and rubbed on the door sill.

The solution was to purchase a bunch of stainless steel split lock washers with the ID sized for the hinge pin.  I lifted the door up to expose the gap to be filled by the lock washer (~1/16" created from wear) and blocked it up at a convience opened position.  I then took each lockwasher opened it up, slid it into the gap and then closed it with pliers.  AH AH, I had a smooth working door! 

I did this about 5 years ago and the door is still working great.  I am still amazed that such a simple fix has worked so long.

It was a fast, simple, and cheap fix.  Simple is good.

Robert Flight
Rochester, NY

RS flight,
I'll look into your idea, doesn't seem like there is enough room on mine though..

OK I found a place that sells parts, they even sell 4 different hinges!

Like this one, $10
http://www.rvshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_60/products_id/12726?osCsid=5d80d962ccf9a3b69cca3dbec7fa1758

Much better that $400!

Robert,

Any chance you could upload a photo showing your creative fix? I'll get the photo added to your description which is now in the forum library. To view it, click the Library button above, select Quick fixes and click Fix worn door hinge.

Thanks for sharing.

I just looked at mine an it is way too far gone for the washer trick, I'd need to stack like 3 of them!

I guess I'll blow $10 on a hinge ;-)

A stack of 3 lockwahsers would work.  The pictures show that I needed 2 in some places and only 1 in other spots.  A total of 19 locations had lockwashers added between the hinge segments.  Sorry, but I could not attach the picture files here due to their size.  Hopefully Tom will post them in the library for all to review.

The pictures show both the inner & outter sides of the hinge.  On the upper surface of the hinge segment there is a gap, this is the amount of wear that existed before the washers were added.

Adding the washers has slowed the rate of wear.  This is because the rotational wear is now between the lockwashers which are harder materials than the soft ALUM.

Enjoy,
Robert Flight
Rochester, NY

Well this hinge is pretty messed up, and for $16 plus a few pop rivets I can get a new one.
I'm thinking I'd be spending almost that on washers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom