Pet Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Haven't noticed this before.  Here I am in the interior, not easy to get out for little things like pet care.  I know it is not a duanting task, but we always had Kodas nails cut either at the Vet or a pet grooming place.  He is better about it now, and armed with clippers today I set about the task.  He was doing great, I was doing great, then the next to last nail it slipped past the guard and I clipped into his quick.  Little whimper, but dang he bled.  I didn't have the styptic stuff, did quick search and flour is a good sub.  Tried that, but he just kept licking at it. 

Thought we had it stopped pretty good, but headed next door to one of the Rangers places, his wife is a nurse and they have 2 dogs.  She had something, it was really for shaving on a face, with roll on applicator.  That does not work very well.  I had gauze, so I wrapped his paw and bandaged with teh coban wrap.  That seemed to work OK. 

NAyone else have a good idea for stopping this bleeding if it happens?  A better way, aside from getting trans and letting pros do it.  He keeps giving me these glares. 

Wrap in gauze, hold pressure on it for as long as he'll let you hang onto his foot. Bandage the gauze on with first aid tape. Put his foot in a sock. Get a septic thingie from a pet store or your vet to have handy just in case. We have a whole box full of doggie "just in case" stuff :)

Wendy

Not sure you could have found a way to use it in the nail case, but super glue is a handy thing to have around to close small shallow bleeding wounds.  I've used it many times to close accidental filet knife cuts and large tuna hook punctures.

Yup, way I did, he knocked off the first one, have a second one on.  I'll get some and have it sent in with my next order. 

I was wondering about super glue.  but the gap was fairly large.  Not sure if the glue would have worked.  Friend of mine uses it on his hands for dry skin cracking. 

Blood clotting time for a dog is 6-8 minutes. Most dog owners think that their dog is going to bleed to death. After a few minutes the bleeding will slow. Just holding pressure on the nail for 6-8 minutes will usually stop the bleeding. The bar of soap works well. Holding flour on the cut nail works also. It would be hard to place enough pressure on the end of the nail to stop the bleeding by bandaging the foot. A bandage might help to keep the nail from getting hit and have the nail start bleeding again. For cuts on the dog's pads a tight bandage works well until the dog can be taken to a veterinarian surgeon. Most owners do not apply the bandage tight enough to stop the bleeding from cut pads.

I did the same thing to our pug once......horrible bleeder.  Ice will help to clot a wound. Not a perfect solution, but in an emergency it does wonders. Just remember to watch the time when dealing with ice.  We have a family history of bleeders so I have used the ice trick many times on kids and grandkids (and 1 pug that the septic powder didn't work on). Good Luck....

The "groomer" nicked on our dog's nails... just as we walked in to retrieve her.  We put a clean rag around her foot to get her back home and then let her deal with it.  Worked out fine since dogs "know best" most of the time.  It's hard not intervene though... probably since a little blood goes a long way. 

A few weeks before the groomer incident, she was licking her back foot incessantly.  We'd look and found nothing but this went on and on, so we took her to the vet... $285 later, he says he found nothing and to just let her lick the foot if she wants to... next day she stopped and the foot healed in a few days.  Must of been a cactus thorn that she was able to extract, then it probably got irritated... who knows?

Wish I could heal as quickly as this 12 year old doggie.

It was hard to hold pressure on, he keeps moving.  The soap soulds like a good idea.  He knocked off the first bandage, it had stopped bleeding, but he kept licking, I was concerned he would get it going again.  Rebandaged, he seems fine tonight, but he got a lot of laptime today.

From.....http://tipnut.com/stop-bleeding-ground-black-pepper/
When accidentally cutting your finger or your hand, cover with a generous amount of black pepper.
Contrary to ones thinking this will not burn, instead the pepper stops the bleeding, is most healing, takes out the soreness also forms a crust over the cut to keep out infection.

It worked for me.

I once nicked the outer edge of my nostril while shaving (don't ask, I still don't know how I did that one).  I tried all sorts of remedies and after three hours it was still bleeding.  Someone gave me some Alum and that did the trick.  I'm sold on that stuff!  It burns a bit but it stopped it almost immediately.

Koda is doing fine this morning, removed the gauze and wrap and he sat and licked/cleaned up the paw.  Ran around the house, jumped back on the bed and finished his sleep. 

I had some of the stretch wrap to hold the gauze in place.  I am thinking this may be the answer to his outside boots.  The snow forms between his pads and makes him limp a little, the boots we got him he manages to kick off, but this stuff is great!  Disposable boots!    Available in cool colors, from bright to camo.

Need to get in touch with my old company and get a case sent out.

eliallen said:
From.....http://tipnut.com/stop-bleeding-ground-black-pepper/
When accidentally cutting your finger or your hand, cover with a generous amount of black pepper.
Contrary to ones thinking this will not burn, instead the pepper stops the bleeding, is most healing, takes out the soreness also forms a crust over the cut to keep out infection.

It worked for me.

Ground black pepper makes one of the best radiator and water pump stop leak (leak stop ?) that you can find. It stays suspended in the water until it reaches the leak (meets with oxygen) and then congeals and seals.  May work for blood, but not from the inside like the radiator. ;) :D

I use a dremel to trim nails.  It takes a few minutes longer but you've got much better control and can smooth edges. 

Jolene had bought that one from TV, basically a dremel with a guard, but the dog wouldn't sit even close.  I have a dremel, but not with me.  I think that would be the same deal, the noise bothers him.  The clippers I have will work, I just have to be more careful.  I wish the guard on it was just a little bigger. 

Thanks every one, appreciate the help, I know Koda did.  What a day it made for yesterday though!  Between tending him and cleaning up after him, with blood spots all over, I was exhausted.  Oh and shovelling a wall of snow and chopping wood etc.

[quote author=PancakeBill]
........Between tending him (Koda) and cleaning up after him, with blood spots all over, I was exhausted.  Oh and shoveling a wall of snow and chopping wood etc.
[/quote]

....Shoveling Snow? .....Chopping Wood?  ....are these archaic pagan rituals or exercises brought on by over exposure to the cold wilderness ??? ;) :D

Glad to hear Koda's recovered from his traumatic experience. Chopping wood and shoveling snow? We leave Colorado to get away from that kind of thing.

Interesting that on a thread titled "Pet Care," I've found a lot of ideas for using that big can of ground black pepper I have.

Wendy
Bolsa Chica State Beach 70 degrees

Back
Top Bottom