Tow Dolly Experience/Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star Rover

Will be dolly towing a 2010 Ford Escape behind my Hurricane 32' class A.  Looking at 4 alternatives now:

Master Tow 77T with surge brakes ~$???

Demco 2 with surge brakes ~ $3,000

Roadmaster Universal Tow with electric brakes ~$2,000

Acme EZE with surge brakes ~$2,000

Any feedback regarding surge vs. electric, or any of these manufacturers or products would be appreciated.  Or any alternative makers I've missed?

We have used the Acme EZE with the surge brakes now for three trips from Florida to Nova Scotia and various other shorter trips,now and have had no problems so far. The surge brakes seem to work great up to now. The only thing that I have had to do is change the tires from left side to right side and right to left as the outside edge  of the tires wear off first because of the turning. I really like the dolly as it is easy to move around when not attached to the motor home and it stores almost completely under the rear of the MH as well, when not in use. Alan

You might want to also look at American Car Dolly in Colorado.  They will deliver to you anywhere in the U.S. included in the price.  I bought mine delivered and set up with electric brakes and a spare tire for $1,500.  I think the price has gone up $100 since I bought mine, but it is still a good price for a very nice, well built car dolly.  I've used mine a couple of times and it works great with the electric brakes and brake controller built in on the dolly.

Dan

Which ever tow dolly you choose, be sure and calculate the weights involved.  You need to know just how much your Hurricane can tow and what the rating on the hitch that is installed.  I am assuming it is a gas motor home.  Often those hitches are only rated for 3,000 to 5,000 lbs.  I'm not familiar with the weight of your Ford Escape, but combined with the weight of the dolly it could be over the 3,000-5,000 lbs maximum.

Marsha~

We just purchased the Acme EZE. have not used it yet, but the quality is exceptional. Everything is welded and it is made in USA.  My question is whether or not the tail/signal/brake lights on the dolly preempt the need for lights attached to the Buick Regal I will be towing? If I need the additional lights, what arte the easiest ways to accomplish this?

Today I hooked the KIA Optima; for the first time with ACME Tow Dolly I purchased last November, to my 32' Class C an took it for a spin. I live in a rural area that is very mountainous and I must say it did very well. However, if you decide on a ACME you better pay attention and follow the directions very close. In peculiar the alignment of the tow dolly to the tow vehicle. The vehicle has to be square on the tow dolly; this is very important, I learned the hard way. Nothing happened I just had to come off the dolly and square myself up better.

Have towed with a Roadmaster for four years now, no problems.  Has electric brakes (we have the Prodigy controller) and works fine.  Not a particular recommendation of it over others, it was just the one (of several) that we looked at and was the most convenient for us to purchase.  All that you are looking at are solid.

We went with electric brakes over surge.  Purely my personal choice.

You have received very valid advice in prior posts... make sure you read the doc and know your setup requirements... may need to use a drop hitch to ensure proper height.  You MUST make sure the combined weight of the vehicle and dolly don't exceed your tow ratings.  Keep your tires at the proper inflation, grease the hubs as directed, and doublecheck the straps after the first 10 miles or so... they will almost always loosen.

John T:  I am pretty sure the requirements for lights is state-by-state, check yours.  Most do require lights "at the end of the towed vehicle" or similar requirements.  We use a set of magnetic lights on the trunk, others wire things so the towed vehicle lights are activated.

John T:  I am pretty sure the requirements for lights is state-by-state, check yours.  Most do require lights "at the end of the towed vehicle" or similar requirements.  We use a set of magnetic lights on the trunk, others wire things so the towed vehicle lights are activated.
[/quote]

Thanks Ed and Joie!

I was just out at the Tow-Eze plant.  They are about 20 miles from me.
They have switched to disc brakes.  Also have done away with the straps and have new restraint system.
There is a video on you tube under tow-eze.  You might want to check their price again.

Dave Hill
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Workhorse Chassis 8.1  Chevy

The difference between genius and stupidity is that there is a limit on genius.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom