Tragic consequences of a blown motorhome tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceemike

Here's a story showing just how serious a blown tire can be on a motorhome.  Also it shows what can happen when you overload a motorhome with too many passengers.  It may help MH owners who are on the fence about buying a TPMS to make their decision.

My prayers go out to the injured & the families of those involved.

Mike Wagner

I feel really blessed having just had two different blow-outs, right front in Ripply W. Va. & on return trip right inside rear in Maryland. Neither did damage to my coach and I was able to control the front and get to the side w/o major issue..The remaining two left rear will get changed before the March trip. unless the tire shop swears they're in excellent shape and w/in the age limit. Also before I head out there will be a TPMS on the coach. I'm sure I'm getting low on extra lives.

I read the story, and I saw nothing about OLD tires or OVERLOADED RV. The cause was not determined, other than a front tire blew.

FrankNichols said:
I read the story, and I saw nothing about OLD tires or OVERLOADED RV. The cause was not determined, other than a front tire blew.

Is 14 passengers a safe load on a MH??

Hopefully there will be lots of lessons learned with this event so we  may all take a note today.  Check the age of your tires, don't loan out your rig, make sure everyone riding inside is securely fastened in with a seat belt, would be a few  of the thoughts I take away.

Best wishes for  the families involved.
Betty

I saw nothing about overload or old tires, and my rig seats twelve and is no where near its max weight.

Mark R. said:
I saw nothing about overload or old tires, and my rig seats twelve and is no where near its max weight.

By overloaded I meant in excess of the seating capacity.  I doubt the coach had 14 seat belts.  The article mentioned at least 2 passengers were ejected from the vehicle.

Mike Wagner

[quote author=Mark R]Never had more then 7 though.[/quote]

We've had 22, but that was in a campground at an RV Forum rally.

Mark R. said:
Tom I think 22 constitutes a 'orgy'. ;)

There were a lot of shoes parked outside the coach but I don't remember any 'orgy' :)  And I didn't look to see if I had a seatbelt....oh, wait, I was sitting on the floor :)

OK Wendy let me be more specific, Tom I believe 22 in a motor home constitutes a orgy, and of course you do not remember the orgy, as you said you were passed out on the floor! :eek:

I couldn't find the pictures earlier, but here you go. I see Mike on the floor, but methinks that Wendy was sitting on the sofa  ;)

Attachments

• Brewers show2.jpg
    Brewers show2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 163
  • Brewers show3.jpg
    Brewers show3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 169
You're right, that's me with my legs hanging over Mike's shoulders. I knew one of us was on the floor :)

[quote author=Wendy]that's me with my legs hanging over Mike's shoulders.[/quote]

LOL Wendy, I won't go there.

BTW the reason for this "event" was the Brewers' showing of the CD/DVD of their Copper Canyon trip photos. Terry patiently explained each photo.

Is 14 passangers a safe load in a motor home?

Well, that depends on several things but the basic answer is "Not usually" (There are exceptions)

First: as someone up-thread said in any moving vehicle save a bus (they are specially designed) and I'm not 100% sure about buses the number of passangers should NEVER exceed the number of seat belts. Same as on an airplane.  How many Mother homes have 14 or more seat belts?

Second, if you are talking 50 pound kits that's 700 pounds.  I carry 640 pounds of fresh water. So weight wise, if my water tank were empty,, Might be ok.. But if you are talking bigger people  Well... I can carry up to 720 pounds of waste water (never do but I could) so now we are up to 100 pounds average.  But as you can see that is a lot of weight.

The best thing you can do is to watch the Mitchlin Video (Which I think you can link to from www.rvsafety.com ) showing how to react when a tire blows.  I learned when I watched. Thankfully I have never had to USE that knowledge, but I still learned.

Now, when would 14 be safe.. Short low speed trip.  Little chance of disaster, never over 25 mph.

I once had 13 people in a Dodge Maxi Van (one very happy young lady had one of my passaangers sitting on her lap as I recall.. His pen name is S.P.Somtow we were returning to a convention after watching a movie in which he wrote, directed. helped product and starred).

I do hang out with strange people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom