Towable AWD or 4WD suv's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Pack Fan

I hope I'm putting this post in the right spot.  I'm sure one of the adminstrators will kindly move it if I'm not.

Here's the deal.  About a year .5 ago, I got promoted and my wifes car/the family travel car became my car because of the car package with my promotion.  The other car in the family is a pu truck, which I used to drive all the time.  Wife drives that now as her car/truck and she's not crazy about it.  The great woman she is, she tolerates it, but she would like something more feminine and practicle.  I'm cool with that cause I get to keep driving the awesome GS350.  Since we're selling our boat in the spring time, we don't need the truck to tow it any longer, so we're going to sell the truck too.  She's liking the Honda CRV because it'll tow the jetski (around 1000 lbs) or the Harley on trailer (also around 1000 lbs).  She's pretty adamant that we get something that's towable behind the motorhome.  I've gotta agree with her that it would be a good way to go.  We're trying to figure out a vehicle that fills quite a few needs and I know there's some out there.  I'm just not sure which ones.  Now that I've run on, the question is this:

Where can I find a guide that lists awd/4wd suv's that are 4 wheels on the ground towable behind a motorhome?

Links or other information are greatly appreciated.  I've searched around quite a bit and can't find information, though I'm sure it's out there.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I know the Motorhome magazine puts out guide yearly, look on their website.

I really like my Ford Explorer 4WD. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room when driving, Has a lot of cargo area. Don't remember the towing capacity right off but haul my 5X8 trailer with with an ATV without any problems.

Wolf Pack Fan,

I'm afraid there's no easy answer to your question.  It used to be we could make some blanket statements about certain cars such as most Jeeps.  That's no longer the case.  Manufacturers have changed their transmissions and many no longer permit towing four down unless you want to void your warranty.  For example, the Acura MDX used to be towable.  We have a 2004 that we tow.  In 2005 they said no more towing but that was iffy because it was the same transmission and a lot of people towed the 2005 anyway.  In 2006 they changed the transmission and now the 2006 and later MDX cannot be towed without voiding the warranty.

So this means you need to look at each model.  Trackers, Suzukis, Jeeps, CRVs, pre-2005 MDXs and such are good places to start.  Can your wife drive a stick shift?  Those are more likely to be towable than automatics.

I'm sure others will chime in with more specific information about different models that can or cannot be towed.  In all cases, make sure you read the specific car's manual to see what it says because that's the only authoritative source.  You can't always believe the salesperson because some will say a car is towable without checking the manual.

ArdraF

I towed an older Geo Tracker for a while on all 4s. The only restriction was every 2 or 3 hours they recommended starting the engine and allowing the oil to flow in the manual trans. The only other problem I had with the Geo Tracker was the ignition switch had to be turned to the first position to unlock the steering. Therefore the key had to be left in the vehicle. We had an extra key so we could still lock the door. I liked the 4WD aspect because there are still places where it is nice to have 4WD. The down side was that it was a toad. Driving that Geo Tracker for any distance on the highway was a real chore. Not very comfortable. The other down side was I had to convert the U.S. brake light/turn signal wiring to foreign wiring of the Geo Tracker lighting system. Easy to do. I used a small metal box and some heavy duty diodes in the tail light area of the Geo Tracker. There was lots of room inside the fender behind the tail light.

I have read that they have some oil pumps that pump oil in the manual trans which helps. I have never used one. 

Another place to check is Remoc.  They make a couple of different products that can be added to a vehicle to make it towable.  Their Application Chart let you look up vehicles to check if they can be towed (at all) or with their devices.

I can recommend the chevy equinox (or GMC version) V6 auto AWD (LTZ).
It tows well and will tow up to 3500 lbs.
Bob

My wife absolutely loves "her" Jeep Liberty, an easy to drive, comfortable, ride that hauls just about everything, and is towable four down with no mods. The V6 gets very good mileage around town and and will still tow lighter loads.>>>D

If you would like a larger SUV, I can heartily recommend the GMC Acadia and its Buick Enclave & Chevy Traverse sisters. All are towbale in either the Front Wheel Drive or AWD configuration and can seat 7 adults and tow 5000 lbs as well.  The Acadia's slightly smaller kin, The GMC Terrain is also towable without modifications.

Thanks for the tips folks.  I think it's going to end up being a Honda CRV.  Great mileage, flat towing allowed with no mods and proven Honda reliability.  It's got enough tow capacity to tow the jetski too.  Not the heartiest of SUV's, but it'll suit our needs quite well.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of retrofitting the Honda to be flat-towable, I've got a 2008 Toyota sienna XLE FOR SALE that is already set up and ready to go! It's the top of the line, leather seats, power everything, Burgundy color with grey inside. Let me know if you are interested. It has  Remco Lube Pump installed, a tow-hitch on the back already, and the Blue-Ox base-plate for the front. I even have the appropriate tow-bar available too if you are interested.

Stephanie

seqmom,  Thanks for that offer.  We've already gotten rid of the lexus RX330 for a newer lexus GS350.  Couldn't find a good late model Honda CRV.  Getting rid of pickup truck in late spring though.  Hopefully we'll be able to find a CRV then.

Stephanie, Did you sell your Toyota Sienna? Why are you selling or did sell? Did you have problems towing the Sienna? Any comments or suggestions?
DeLoy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom